the back door path to the NBA | Syracusefan.com

the back door path to the NBA

moqui

generational talent
We were comparing Kris Joseph and CJ Fair in another thread, specifically the sense that many of us had after his sophomore season that Kris was bound for stardom that he never quite reached. It reminded me of an interview I heard a few months back and even at the time, I thought it might pertain to Kris.

Eric Musselman is the current head coach of the NBA D-league Los Angeles Defenders. Musselman won the D-League coach of the year last year and set a league record for having had 6 members of his squad called up to NBA teams. I believe he also holds the record for having developed the most call ups from the CBA during his stints coaching in that league.

He did a radio interview with an LA radio station towards the end of the D League season that focused on his ability to develop fringe players and get them to the Association. He said that there were two key factors that determined whether guys could make the leap from outside leagues to the NBA: First, to be a product of a winning culture, either in the minor leagues or in college, because the purpose of being called up is to help a team win. Second, the most successful minor league players weren't league all stars, but those who developed a niche skill, because they were going to be role players when they got the call up, not stars. Mussleman emphasized that putting these two things together - the ability to be a role player who contributes to a winning culture - created the one single dynamic that best predicted successful progression from the minor leagues to the NBA.

I think this might be the best path for Kris Joseph to get to the NBA. He is obviously the product of a winning environment - the winningest player in the history of the 5th winningest school of all time, one of just a handful of Orangemen to play in 3 Sweet 16s and earn #1 rankings in two different seasons, etc. And, maybe most importantly, he always seemed more comfortable in a supporting rather than a starring role. If he doesn't get drafted or earn a UFA contract this summer, then his agent should move heaven and earth to get him on the D-Fenders where Musselman can help him identify his niche (if he has one) and groom him for the next step.

Very good points by Musselman, I'm just trying to figure out what KJ's niche skill would be.

Very good points by Musselman, I'm just trying to figure out what KJ's niche skill would be.

I know one that isn't: dribbling.

He's got a good stroke, I think he could potentially be a 8th man in the NBA to provide some offense. That's about it.

We were comparing Kris Joseph and CJ Fair in another thread, specifically the sense that many of us had after his sophomore season that Kris was bound for stardom that he never quite reached. It reminded me of an interview I heard a few months back and even at the time, I thought it might pertain to Kris.

Eric Musselman is the current head coach of the NBA D-league Los Angeles Defenders. Musselman won the D-League coach of the year last year and set a league record for having had 6 members of his squad called up to NBA teams. I believe he also holds the record for having developed the most call ups from the CBA during his stints coaching in that league.

He did a radio interview with an LA radio station towards the end of the D League season that focused on his ability to develop fringe players and get them to the Association. He said that there were two key factors that determined whether guys could make the leap from outside leagues to the NBA: First, to be a product of a winning culture, either in the minor leagues or in college, because the purpose of being called up is to help a team win. Second, the most successful minor league players weren't league all stars, but those who developed a niche skill, because they were going to be role players when they got the call up, not stars. Mussleman emphasized that putting these two things together - the ability to be a role player who contributes to a winning culture - created the one single dynamic that best predicted successful progression from the minor leagues to the NBA.

I think this might be the best path for Kris Joseph to get to the NBA. He is obviously the product of a winning environment - the winningest player in the history of the 5th winningest school of all time, one of just a handful of Orangemen to play in 3 Sweet 16s and earn #1 rankings in two different seasons, etc. And, maybe most importantly, he always seemed more comfortable in a supporting rather than a starring role. If he doesn't get drafted or earn a UFA contract this summer, then his agent should move heaven and earth to get him on the D-Fenders where Musselman can help him identify his niche (if he has one) and groom him for the next step.

I agree 100% but the fact that his one skill that needs to be developed further is not easily identifiable after 4 years of college is the reason I don't believe he will make it. Now I hope he does but I don't see it. He is a jack of all trades guy

The niche skill is the question. Kris' best attribute was his scoring ability in the break (IMO, at least), but that's really not something he can make a career on. I also don't know if he can ever be a knock down NBA shooter, although he has gotten markedly better every year.

I hope he gets his shot though. He's a great kid, and good representative of the program.

not happening, he isn't good at the 'niche' things, can't rebound, can't defend, and isn't a great shooter

Agree with that. Once Kris lost his fearlessness when driving to the basket, that was the end of improvement in his game. He never really became a solid 3 point threat, never a great rebounder, never a great defender.

On the other hand, after seeing how fit Arinze Onuaku is these days, I will be stunned if he doesn't get a shot with some team this year. The guy plays great position defense, and he can score with either hand in close. He could be a better rebounder, but now that he weighs about 25 pounds less than he did as a senior, I think his rebounding will improve.