The beauty of this team | Syracusefan.com

The beauty of this team

EnviroSciGuy

Resident woody plant obsessive
I'm pumped to see what this team will do in each game. Anything can happen, and there are zero expectations. The development of some of the players has been a joy to watch. I've mentioned before that this team seems almost like the opposite of the '05-'06 team which also featured some young guys but had GMac on the way out. It felt like something was ending instead of beginning. I feel like this group has a much better chance to make some post-season noise than the 05-06 squad, and even if it's unlikely, the potential still has me riveted.

I do expect to win today, though. I understand what you mean about the potential of the team.
I would not be one bit surprised to see them win their last five regular season games. However, I would also not be surprised to see them at 2-3 and need a postseason win to keep the streak alive.

I'm pumped to see what this team will do in each game. Anything can happen, and there are zero expectations. The development of some of the players has been a joy to watch. I've mentioned before that this team seems almost like the opposite of the '05-'06 team which also featured some young guys but had GMac on the way out. It felt like something was ending instead of beginning. I feel like this group has a much better chance to make some post-season noise than the 05-06 squad, and even if it's unlikely, the potential still has me riveted.

Although I concur, the sadness in this post for me, is it's almost the opposite feeling of what I would have whenever we played a team like Notre Dame years ago.

"God only knows what this team can do - any given day they might hit 73 bajillion threes and blow us out in some offensive thrill-fest!"

I dunno we can have a 15-20 point lead and you know the game is gonna get close in the second half since JB doesn't trust the bench.

It is very refreshing to play 3 extremely good 3 point shooters with the way the current NCAA game is trending. BUt in the back of my head it makes me furious Eli is likely leaving to go undrafted because JB won't want to pick up another elite wing that can shoot the 3 as it might take PT away from Buddy. So this is likely the only year we are going to enjoy that luxury.

This is the worst team I have ever seen at Syracuse and it’s not that close. Low talent, low IQ and poorly coached...and now they are starting to mail in the defensive effort also.

Yeah I got to say sometimes I have felt that this team has some potential but they are so inconsistent and sometimes they look like they just don’t have a coach at all, I just get so frustrated sometimes watching this team and I really don’t even watch the games,I just go back on YouTube and watch the condensed version of it because it’s just I get too irritated watching sometimes. I think next year there could definitely be something going on with this team but that all depends on what we have coming back and the development Of our young players!!!. I mean hughes coming back I think is obviously a very slim chance but you know I don’t know, I really don’t but I got a remember that I mean Boeheim is in the Hall of Fame for a reason so you know I just got to have faith that he’ll pull together. I don’t think too many people expected this team to do much this year so we pretty much got what we expected but you know you always hope you can pull a rabbit out of the hat so to speak but there’s also the thing that I worry about I really do that Boeheim is Really getting old and I hope that’s not affecting his ability to coach but you know next year that’s going to really be a defining season on whether what happens in the near future! In my opinion

Hey Beadle...bet this is not quite the wat you expected to get the win! Great come back by this team. It must have been a Jimmy classic at half time!
OMG!! I cannot BELIEVE we won that game! I am just so used to us falling flat on our faces . . . I also didn’t realize until game time that Ga Tech had beaten Louisville. Our guys came out so flat and the crowd was flat, too, until midway through the first half when we willed them to get it together! And they did for a bit, and then fell apart again. Down 11 at half time.

My daughter and I agreed it was possible for them to come out a different team after the half. Imagine our shock when they did! And then the constant exhortations of the crowd kept going and going and getting louder and louder. The guy to my left was trying to keep it cool and act like he didn’t care, but he finally warmed up after hearing me screech and yodel and sing - I do like to sing - and falling in a heap onto his shoulder a few times. At that point, he was forced into eye contact and gave me couple high fives. But I digress.

The team and the crowd were as one. If only Captain J had been there, my happiness would have been complete.

That second half was a thing of beauty! I was watching on replay because of work, and managed to avoid the score. what a great game to come home to. Having the offense flow through Marek worked great. Some of his spin moves and double spins against their guys in foul trouble were spectacular.
Joe really looked confident all over the court. Midrange Buddy kept them honest. Hughes was clutch at the line down the stretch (and Marek 12 for12!) Sid played a strong D and rebounded great.
The active team defense frustrated the crap out of Tech. Fun fun fun half.

Last edited:
LOL those in-game posts sure didn't age well. That's what happens when posters try to pollute a feel-good thread with such dreck.

BUt in the back of my head it makes me furious Eli is likely leaving to go undrafted because JB won't want to pick up another elite wing that can shoot the 3 as it might take PT away from Buddy. So this is likely the only year we are going to enjoy that luxury.

How does this remotely make sense? We have an elite wing now (assuming you agree since you said “another”) and Buddy is currently averaging 36 MPG. This makes you think JB is afraid to play him with an elite wing? How much more PT do you think Buddy can get? If anything, another elite wing lets him get more PT since it’s another threat the defenses have to focus on.

OMG!! I cannot BELIEVE we won that game! I am just so used to us falling flat on our faces . . . I also didn’t realize until game time that Ga Tech had beaten Louisville. Our guys came out so flat and the crowd was flat, too, until midway through the first half when we willed them to get it together! And they did for a bit, and then fell apart again. Down 11 at half time.

My daughter and I agreed it was possible for them to come out a different team after the half. Imagine our shock when they did! And then the constant exhortations of the crowd kept going and going and getting louder and louder. The guy to my left was trying to keep it cool and act like he didn’t care, but he finally warmed up after hearing me screech and yodel and sing - I do like to sing - and falling in a heap onto his shoulder a few times. At that point, he was forced into eye contact and gave me couple high fives. But I digress.

The team and the crowd were as one. If only Captain J had been there, my happiness would have been complete.
Good post. No doubt in my mind that the crowd played a huge role in yet another unlikely home win. It was encouraging to see this team play a half of decent defense.

GT isn’t the best offensive team around but they aren’t bad. Other than allowed their PF to get the ball whenever he wanted, and allowing him to dribble to the basket whenever he wanted, our defense in the second half was quite good.

I hope it is a sign of good things to come. We gotta be able to make some stops to get wins against good teams. It isn’t feasible to out score teams very often.

Last edited:
Good post. No doubt in my mind that the crowd played a huge role in yet another unlikely home win. It was encouraging to see this team play a half of decent defense.

GT isn’t the best offensive team around but they aren’t bad. Other than allowed their PF to get the ball whenever he wanted, and allowing him to dribble to the basket whenever he wanted, our defense in the second half was quite good.

I hope it is a good of good things to come. We gotta be able to make some stops to get wins against good teams. It isn’t feasible to out score teams very often.
I just want them to win the rest of their games! Is that too much to ask? :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom