The best word to describe our team... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The best word to describe our team...

Yeah, we broke down so badly in those games that we beat Pitt and Georgetown. And in the Georgetown game, we lost a lead late and then went out and immediately took the lead in overtime and never looked back. Shameful. And a good example of the fragility you alluded to in your OP.

I don't know that we broke down badly, but he has a point. We didn't look great at the end against G'Town, missed free throws, some shaky play - it was a good win, but a few bad moments when we could have easily iced it. I would hesitate to say "we never looked back in OT" considering they had a chance to tie or win till they through it away.

Mentally fragile, not physically, hits it on the head. Triche can bash with the best of them, and MCW both had his onions scrambled and his ankle sprained, yet came back for more. No, they tried as hard as you could want any team to do, but it's the mental toughness and focus that eludes them when things don't go well. Triche can have bad games where he can't shoot and throws the ball away, but it's possible to work around that. MCW is more likely to have bad moments when he tries to be the hero or fails to think of time/place and game management, and that can be fatal in a high level of competition. I look for SU to have some entertaining games in the next three weeks, but probably not six of them, alas.-VBOF

The point about the lack of help from our bigs on the press is a good one. There is nobody for our guards to dump it to, and make a team pay for pressing us.

We have one and a half guys on our team who I have full confidence in when they are dribbling. This year three quarters of the time I confident when MCW and Triche are handling the ball hence one and half. The next closest IMHO is Fair but he loses his balance almost every time he tries to make a quick cut with or without the ball. Most years we have our guards and at least a forward or two who are capable of handling the ball, we seem to lack that this year which makes it even more impressive that we are 26-9.

My word: Bipolar.

Fragile teams do not win the three games they did post the regular-season-ending slide Cuse had. This team seems to be like Triche; usually steady enough, at some points a force...and more often than we care to see it, on another planet in a bad way.

...is fragile. We can look good at times when things are going our way and JS is hitting threes. And we definitely have some guys with talent. But when we are playing a good opponent who really gets into us physically we tend to break down both physically and mentally. You can see it even in our wins the last couple days. If I was coaching against us I'd press the crap out of us for 40 minutes. Our guards can't withstand it and our big guys aren't skilled enough to really help out much or finish plays when we do break the press.
How about tired! Their legs were just flat out tired in the second half . Shots coming up short falling down etc 4 long games in 4 days has to wear on you and it did

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom