The Big is really weak | Syracusefan.com

The Big is really weak

It's quite possible that this league will have no top 4 seeds, yet 8 bids in the tournament. 7 are essentially locks and it's quite possible one of Indiana, Iowa and Illinois could get in. T

That's a whole lot of mediocrity.

Remember back in 2001 when the Big e East regular season and conference tournament winner wound up with a three seed? That was a pretty awful year for the Big East.

Still better than that clownshow.

eh Purdue is legit, if a little up and down... Wiscy could be legit if they got their shiz together, which doesn't look likely at the moment... and I actually think Minny could do some damage - I didn't think they were for real as recently as a month ago but they've actually made me a believer now - though still not sold on lil' Ricky as an in-game coach

what does it mean when the bball team struggles to win as many league games as the fball team

To be fair the conference does do well in the NCAA tournament recently. It still get it's fair share of teams to the Final Four.

Since 2010, it has probably been crapped on pretty much every year, and 4 of it's schools have made the final 4. (Michigan St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio St). That is as many schools as the ACC.

Is Northwestern still a lock at this point? They have one big win against Wisconsin (on the road granted), who has slipped. No horrible losses, but some ones they probably should have won.

Uh, they could be weak but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Purdue, Wisconsin, or Michigan get to the S16. It's all so wide open this year.

Light up Purdue? Caleb Swanigan and their other big guy would make Lydon and TT their bitches. They have better guards than last year too. Good team and bad matchup. They would slaughter us on the glass and it wouldn't matter how they shot from the perimeter. Those inside dudes would clean up since we offer no resistance in the paint.

Last edited:
Syracuse snub in 2006-2007 should put some Big Ten teams on edge. If you don't have good wins the amount of conference wins you have is irrelevant.

I don't see the Big Ten getting more than Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota in the tournament. Indiana has wins over two 1 seeds (Kansas, and North Carolina)that might be the only Big Ten bubble team with a chance.
Also, only Purdue has a chance to be a top 4 seed.

Uh, they could be weak but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Purdue, Wisconsin, or Michigan get to the S16. It's all so wide open this year.

Light up Purdue? Caleb Swanigan and their other big guy would make Lydon and TT their bitches. They have better guards than last year too. Good team and bad matchup. They would slaughter us on the glass and it wouldn't matter how they shot from the perimeter. Those inside dudes would clean up since we offer no resistance in the paint.
Spark another dude

Since 2010, it has probably been crapped on pretty much every year, and 4 of it's schools have made the final 4. (Michigan St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio St). That is as many schools as the ACC.
Michigan had 1 good year, 2013. Ohio State hasn't done anything since Sullinger left in 2012. Wisconsin and MSU are always solid, but the ACC has had more FF appearances. Heck, we had 2 last year. And the year before that, Duke won the title.

Michigan had 1 good year, 2013. Ohio State hasn't done anything since Sullinger left in 2012. Wisconsin and MSU are always solid, but the ACC has had more FF appearances. Heck, we had 2 last year. And the year before that, Duke won the title.

I'm not arguing that the BIG is better than the ACC. Absolutely not. I am just saying it has done better in the tourney than we give it credit for and used the fact that 4 teams made the Final 4 to support it. (and gave that "4" some context)

Syracuse snub in 2006-2007 should put some Big Ten teams on edge. If you don't have good wins the amount of conference wins you have is irrelevant.

I don't see the Big Ten getting more than Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota in the tournament. Indiana has wins over two 1 seeds (Kansas, and North Carolina)that might be the only Big Ten bubble team with a chance.
Also, only Purdue has a chance to be a top 4 seed.

The only 3 BIG teams that have you have not listed are Indiana, Iowa, and Illinois. They are all on the outside as of now, so I don't think they would see it as a snub if they don't get in.

Weak?

The B1G is weak?

Don't tell the Rutgers people that. They are 5 and 50 against B1G teams since joining the conference.
which is why they were invited to join

The only 3 BIG teams that have you have not listed are Indiana, Iowa, and Illinois. They are all on the outside as of now, so I don't think they would see it as a snub if they don't get in.
Ohio State has the same record as Indiana. So B1G has 7 locked-in and 4 bubble teams including Indiana, Ohio State, Iowa and Illinois. Only three teams (Rutgers, Nebraska and Penn State) needs to win the conference tournament to get NCAA tournament bid.

Ohio State has the same record as Indiana. So B1G has 7 locked-in and 4 bubble teams including Indiana, Ohio State, Iowa and Illinois. Only three teams (Rutgers, Nebraska and Penn State) needs to win the conference tournament to get NCAA tournament bid.
Ohio State isn't on the bubble. If they are bubble team we are a lock. Ohio State is the 11 seed in the B1G tournament.

Only Indiana has a chance from the B1G bubble teams because of their Kansas/North Carolina wins which are huge. Iowa/Illinois don't have those non-conference scalps. Winning conference road games are great but when the conference isn't that strong they aren't that important.

Neither Mich nor Mich St are locked in

Ohio State isn't on the bubble. If they are bubble team we are a lock. Ohio State is the 11 seed in the B1G tournament.

Only Indiana has a chance from the B1G bubble teams because of their Kansas/North Carolina wins which are huge. Iowa/Illinois don't have those non-conference scalps. Winning conference road games are great but when the conference isn't that strong they aren't that important.

I disagree. 2017 BIG 10 is very similar to the 2016 PAC 12.

2016 PAC-12. The committee loved them even though they only had 1 really good team. The depth of teams they had in the top 50 or right around 50 generated a whole bunch of quality wins for the teams, and made bad losses very tough. It's the same situation in the Big 10 this year.

The Big 10 lacks star power, but it is really deep from an RPI perspective. I would not be surprised if Iowa/Illinois won two quality games in the B10 tournament (against tourney teams or valid bubble team) and got in the tournament. We definetely need the current 7 teams that may be in to take care of business and hold off Indiana, Iowa and Illinois.

Ohio St winning games is fine... they are a tier below the other 3.

Does this mean the BIG is any good. Nope, but neither was the 2016 PAC.

Last edited:
I disagree. 2017 BIG 10 is very similar to the 2016 PAC 12.

2016 PAC-12. The committee loved them even though they only had 1 really good team. The depth of teams they had in the top 50 or right around 50 generated a whole bunch of quality wins for the teams, and made bad losses very tough. It's the same situation in the Big 10 this year.

The Big 10 lacks star power, but it is really deep from an RPI perspective. I would not be surprised if Iowa/Illinois won two quality games in the B10 tournament (against tourney teams or valid bubble team) and got in the tournament. We definetely need the current 7 teams that may be in to take care of business and hold off Indiana, Iowa and Illinois.

Ohio St winning games is fine... they are a tier below the other 3.

Does this mean the BIG is any good. Nope, but neither was the 2016 PAC.

Michigan should officially punch their ticket when they beat Illinois next game in their Tourney. Illinois will be NIT then. Not sure who to cheer for between IU-Iowa. We REALLY need to cheer for Penn St./Nebraska winner VS Sparty. They beat Sparty and Sparty is NIT, imo.

Those bad losses in the OOC + BC are the only thing that could potentially trip us up. Most of our bubble friends just don't have those as I look through other resumes. It's that VS the Top 50 wins. Hopefully the committee won't be weighing those bad losses/OOC disaster heavily. If they will then we better beat Miami Wed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom