The big spring game question | Syracusefan.com

The big spring game question

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
For those that were there, do you feel better or worse about next season after today's scrimmage?

From the reports it seems like it was pretty ho hum. And started early. I can't fathom how that happens.

Still back HCDM completely, we will never know just how big this rebuilding has job been. I keep the faith. Today scrimage was "It is what it is.".

We are 4+ years removed from GRob. At what point do we stop calling this a rebuilding job?

We are 4+ years removed from GRob. At what point do we stop calling this a rebuilding job?

How are we 4+ years removed from Gump? Doug was hired in December 2008. It won't be 4 years until the next season is almost in the books.

It's a fair question, though. I would say starting with next season. It's pretty clear Doug has at least 3 seasons before anything would be considered by the admins unless we get below 5-7 in the next 2.

We have been depleted by injury the last few years because so many young guys have been forced into action before they have had a chance to develop for this level of play. That said, THAT is also due in part because so many guys left - or were made to leave - in Doug's first year.

It depends on who was having issues on the interior OL. We were only missing Trudo from that group, yet they were dominated all day. If it was just the walkon OLmen then no biggie. But if it was Foy, Chibane, and Mackey as well then we will have major issues. This season will be all about OL play, plain and simple. If they play like last year then we will be lucky to get 4 Ws IMO. If they are improved a Bowl is an outside possibility.

For those that were there, do you feel better or worse about next season after today's scrimmage?

From the reports it seems like it was pretty ho hum. And started early. I can't fathom how that happens.

Agree with those who have said that no one should make any assumptions based on this "game." It was a Lite Demo for the fans.

I was encouraged by the Defense, especially the DL. And I think Schaefer will do a good job with this group. The injuries make it really impossible to gauge the offense, especially when there are so few playmakers to begin with. That said, I think that HCDM has some time between now and August to get the offense together with the new wrinkles. Sales will be a big help. If we can patch together an OL, and keep them on the field, and if a RB can step forward from the pack, I think SU will be improved from last year.

Agree with those who have said that no one should make any assumptions based on this "game." It was a Lite Demo for the fans.

I was encouraged by the Defense, especially the DL. And I think Schaefer will do a good job with this group. The injuries make it really impossible to gauge the offense, especially when there are so few playmakers to begin with. That said, I think that HCDM has some time between now and August to get the offense together with the new wrinkles. Sales will be a big help. If we can patch together an OL, and keep them on the field, and if a RB can step forward from the pack, I think SU will be improved from last year.

The question marks IMO are the OL, the DEs, and the LBs. You could not determine a damn thing about anyone those those three yesterday IMO.

I struggle with which is more frustrating: the lack of recruiting/developing play makers vs. a solid offensive line. Right now, it's the latter. I think if we had 5 guys who could give you a decent effort game in and game out, our offense wouldn't be as bad as it has been.

Not sure how fair it is to make the argument that HCDM was an OL himself, so that should be easy for him, but have to admit it crosses my mind a lot.

The big worry to me is that 4 years later there is no clear challenger or successor to Nassib.

It depends on who was having issues on the interior OL. We were only missing Trudo from that group, yet they were dominated all day. If it was just the walkon OLmen then no biggie. But if it was Foy, Chibane, and Mackey as well then we will have major issues. This season will be all about OL play, plain and simple. If they play like last year then we will be lucky to get 4 Ws IMO. If they are improved a Bowl is an outside possibility.

hickey and pugh were also missing,and they may be our best two.

better...our skill players are faster and bigger.

plus travon burke had a real nice power run up the middle that makes third short a nice chance of turning them into a first.

His name is Terrell Hunt and he didn't play yesterday.

bnoro is Hunt a better prospect in your opinion then Kinder. Have you actually been able see the two play? Shame that Hunt was out for the spring

True, got to stay healthy and I think the line will be fine but still the biggest catalyst for success for this team. I'm sure there was a lot lot of mix and match yesterday and that does make it hard to pick up blitzes and we'll see who shows up for the Northwestern game.

The most obvious difference is Sales and Broyld. Two playmakers who may be both equal to Mike Williams. They will make a huge difference this year.

bnoro is Hunt a better prospect in your opinion then Kinder. Have you actually been able see the two play? Shame that Hunt was out for the spring
100%. Kinder really struggles with his reads. I felt yesterday made Kinder look a bit worse than he is because the second OL was horrifically bad. But he tends to chuck it up to his first option over a check down option. Hunt is more composed and more fluid. Kinder looks like he short arms the ball and doesn't have a smooth throwing motion. I wish Hunt could have showed his stuff yesterday and you'd see what I mean.

Chibane played tackle, not a good indicator of this season. Foy struggled a bit. Macky was solid but not spectacular. Can't really evaluate the OLine on a spring game, especially when they are running some plays not in our playbook.

Mr. Hunt has to stay out of trouble and then we can see his abilities first hand and I'm rooting for the young man to do so. From what I've heard Kinder is more of an athlete playing qb and Hunt is an athlete that is a qb.

Yeah but they are Ts. We had major issues in the interior yesterday not the outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom