The biggest mistake in last nights game | Syracusefan.com

The biggest mistake in last nights game

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Dez Wells made a free throw with 5:26 left in the game

Syracuse is up 51-40

For several SU possessions before this we were slowing the game down.

Everyone was on the same page.

We had Jerami out of the game with an injury

CJ, Rak & Silent G are in foul trouble

Then the play that made me explode

Trevor Cooney, who to this point had missed eight shots in-a-row gets it in his head with 5 seconds off the shot clock to fling up another three.

I knew in my bones that everything would cascade in a bad way for SU

6 seconds later Wells makes two free throws 51-42

CJ misses a jumper

10 seconds later Jake Layman splashes a three 51-45

Only 35 seconds have gone off the clock since Trevor's ill-advised fling

4 seconds later Tyler Ennis turns the ball over

3 seconds later CJ fouls Faust who makes two free throws to make it 51-47 just 42 seconds after that TC shot!

33 seconds later CJ misses again

As Nancy Kerrigan once said, Why, why, why?

I'm sure JB was saying the same thing.

Fortunately the team pulled out another escape, hopefully, Trevor will learn from this.

When the shot went up I said to myself, "what is he doing, he better make that." I'll give TC credit though with that tough shot at the end.

ill take the blame. i got home from work and put the game on exactly at 51-39 when dez wells was at the line. it all went to stuff from there.

I knew SU was headed for trouble earlier than that. They had a 10 point led and the ball and took them 3 trips to extend the led to 12. With each miss I thought, get a stop, go and get to 12. But no, they couldn't do it with several good looks. Then once they did, I sort of hoped it would continue but it seemed down hill from there, just like I feared. Heck if they had scored on each of those trips, there would never had been a problem.

So Cooney's miss made Ennis so distraught that he turned it over. Made CJ not play as well and miss a jumper? Made us put them on the line.

For the love of god I hope Cooney doesn't miss the rest of the year.
No but in the past, during crunch time, one bad play seems to lead into another. It's the dance that's been played out over and over again in all sports.

Orangeyes said:
No but in the past, during crunch time, one bad play seems to lead into another. It's the dance that's been played out over and over again in all sports.

I just don't see it. Ennis is cool as a cucumber in a hostile environment like Pitt, I just don't see a Cooney miss effecting him that much.

He was wide open but 3 feet behind the line. Wish he would step in a bit coming off that wide open.

Dez Wells made a free throw with 5:26 left in the game

6 seconds later Wells makes two free throws 51-42

As Nancy Kerrigan once said, Why, why, why?

I'm sure JB was saying the same thing.

Fortunately the team pulled out another escape, hopefully, Trevor will learn from this.
Bottom line is the same problem we have had all season. Putting teams away. In the begining of the season we were getting minutes from Coleman, BJ, Patterson, Roberson and Silent "G", now we pretty much only see Silent "G". Fair and Tyler pretty much play the whole game, Grant is hurt and isn't going to get better if we don't play somebody else and limit his minutes. All teams are now completely committed to stopping our only outside threat, TC. Ty and "G" aren't stepping up and shooting open "3's" when they have them (and IMO...that is the only way to open the door for TC again), our sets on the offensive end are basic at best (Do we run the same play evreytime?) and we wonder why we are having offensive problems. If Grant doesn't get better, we will be 6 deep come tournament time and the expectation to have a kid come off the bench with little or none PT we will have to live with. We will be in foul trouble the rest of the way as JB again sent a message to the refs, another blunder when you are only playing 6 guys. Look at the discrepancy last night. I really thought last week would make this squad angry and more hungry, fact is they look like a tired bunch, and no wonder.

Marsh01 said:
51-40 Cooney had a great look that if that went down would have been 54-40 and basically game over. It was a turning point for sure.

With that much time left, it's a shot JB would tell him to take every time.

With that much time left, it's a shot JB would tell him to take every time.
In that situation with one of your seven injured and 3 others in foul trouble I don't think he wanted a shot that early in the shot clock and no one in rebounding position. We were in take time off the clock mode and Trevor was as cold as the polar vortex.

Would of been a Dagger had he made it.

No doubt. However, he shot it too early and it went quickly from what appeared to be an open look to being contested shot. When he goes back and looks at the film with GMac, he'll kick himself for taking it.

Agreed with your assessment in the OP 100%, Dan. I screamed at the TV when he took it.

He's was knocking them down from deep against UND with no problem

Yeah, but that was sort of anomalous. Seems to me that most of Cooney's makes have been from relatively close to the line - he hasn't shown that South/Rautins/Donte range. Also, if he's got tired legs (I think he does), it'd help him to take a dribble and step into it.

One play that has been completely overlooked because it went in our favor is when silent G had a wide open three pointer on the lower baseline and there was noone between him and the basket. Keita even cleared the runway for him and G could have basically trotted in for an uncontested layup or dunk yet he chose to fire up a three. It went in so it doesnt get talked about. Had he missed you bet we would be discussing why he just didnt take the gimme 2.

Poor decision on Cooney's part to put up a quick 3 no doubt. But that mistake is survivable if we don't commit 2 horrific turnovers inbounding the ball. Maryland's pressure wasn't even all that good and we couldn't handle it twice. I pray we don't draw VCU.

51-40 Cooney had a great look that if that went down would have been 54-40 and basically game over.

It was a turning point for sure.
I was thinking the same thing. With hime wide open like that I really thought that would have been the dagger and that he would have drained it. This was one of the few games this year that I thought he had several good looks and still didn't knock them down.

I do agree more often than not that you can point to one ill-advised shot that starts a run the other way. i remember saying the same thing in the BC game, however I forgot which one it was.

In that situation with one of your seven injured and 3 others in foul trouble I don't think he wanted a shot that early in the shot clock and no one in rebounding position. We were in take time off the clock mode and Trevor was as cold as the polar vortex.
Playaz gotta make playz.

i had no problem with that shot, when your best shooter has a wide open look like that to pretty much put the game out of reach you gotta take it.

So let me get this straight. We hate the stall ball tactics used most of the time by JB with a lead late in games. We also hate it when players take wide-open shots early in the shot clock when we have a big lead late in a game. So I'm confused, what should we do?

<snark off>

Trevor has been told he is to shoot any time he's open, which isn't all that much anymore. It was a great look, and if it goes in, we walk to the finish line. Instead, it leads to a long rebound and a transition opportunity for the bad guys. It's frustrating, but we're not watching robots out there. Every decision won't be perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom