The carrier Dome for basketball | Syracusefan.com

The carrier Dome for basketball

20Plus

Everybody knows that when the place has 26,000 or more it's great it's got energy and it is an advantage. Also know that you can't beat the gate revenue with the venue in those circumstances.

But with this team and the way it is constructed I almost think we are at a disadvantage at home not the best shooting arena and we get zero pro active support from 95% of the crowd .

Also, the idea of the Carrier Dome as a selling point is only true if they come for a big game!

You can't tell me it's a selling point for recruits in seven out of every 10 games.

It's cold and cavern like in there. I'm just starting not to like the Dome more and more.

I think it would be great if we use the dome for the top five games of the year and got a new arena.

5e9b4d465af8dee335d2f8d42451e0ed56d373b62554a68ad658ed54888b21bc.jpg

Watched two minutes of the Michigan State atmosphere and you tell me we are even in the same league and you're drunk

Everybody knows that when the place has 26,000 or more it's great it's got energy and it is an advantage. Also know that you can't beat the gate revenue with the venue in those circumstances.

But with this team and the way it is constructed I almost think we are at a disadvantage at home not the best shooting arena and we get zero pro active support from 95% of the crowd .

Also, the idea of the Carrier Dome as a selling point is only true if they come for a big game!

You can't tell me it's a selling point for recruits in seven out of every 10 games.

It's cold and cavern like in there. I'm just starting not to like the Dome more and more.

I think it would be great if we use the dome for the top five games of the year and got a new arena.
I disagree.

It seems like the cavernous size and soft ceiling combine to prevent reflection of crowd noise relative to most other arenas. I wonder if SU crowds overall get a bad rap because of this. Yeah, we all see those silent and immobile dopes in suits with thubbs up orifices after an Orange alley-oop dunk, but they exist everywhere. And even student noise can get lost in that environment.

Any acoustics experts here? If they start putting up egg cartons and foam, I am sooo staying on my couch.

It seems like the cavernous size and soft ceiling combine to prevent reflection of crowd noise relative to most other arenas. I wonder if SU crowds overall get a bad rap because of this. Yeah, we all see those silent and immobile dopes in suits with thubbs up orifices after an Orange alley-oop dunk, but they exist everywhere. And even student noise can get lost in that environment.

Any acoustics experts here? If they start putting up egg cartons and foam, I am sooo staying on my couch.
My neighbor is an acustics expert. Because of the way the air pressure is manipulated, it's louder than it otherwise would be.

15% of the people want to make noise and they're all spread out you can't get anything started pay attention

Watched two minutes of the Michigan State atmosphere and you tell me we are even in the same league and you're drunk

Compared to most SU games, schools like Michigan St. have a better atmosphere on a regular basis. However, the Dome at its best is the best. There's nothing out there that can match the Dome when there's 30,000 going nuts. We know it only happens a few times a year, but when it does its awesome, and it's certainly a recruiting tool that nobody else can match.

Shame on us for bringing recruits in for games that get less than 26,000 people, if we in fact do.

did you go to happy hour early today?

My post is easy to understand and I have the perspective that I know this is well informed! I know my expectations and comparisons are to be a top 10 venue. When I see our team actually playing in other venues it becomes obvious! When I go to other venues and watch other teams games I notice it. It doesn't take a genius to realize the Carrier Dome has a lot of drawbacks most of the time. Do you even go to all or most of the games?

Last edited by a moderator:
My post is easy to understand and I have the perspective that I know this is well informed! I know my expectations and comparisons are to be a top 10 venue. When I see our team actually playing in other venues it becomes obvious! When I go to other venues and watch other teams games I notice it. It doesn't take a genius to realize the Carrier Dome has a lot of drawbacks most of the time. Do you even go to all or most of the games?

It does have its drawbacks much of the time, but it also has benefits that no other place in the country is capable of matching at times...and that ultimately sets us apart.

There are lots of great places to play and watch basketball out there, no question. But most of them aren't nearly as unique and well known as the Dome, and none are as awesome as the Dome at its best. I'm often annoyed and bored when I'm watching us play Colgate or basically any team that most of the crowd doesn't think has a chance to beat us, but I think it's a trade-off we've got to take. The Dome makes us stand out, we bring recruits in for the big games when it's awesome anyways, and even if the crowd isn't always engaged enough due to the size of the venue it's still a very hard place for opponents to play in.

I agree with your post. It has to be upper 20s or in the 30s to have a profound impact, imo. Otherwise it's a morgue. I do think the team generally seems to play better on the road in these hostile atmospheres the past five years or so. Maybe too often than not the Dome is lifeless? I don't know. Obviously a very good team should be able to win anywhere, road or home. Something JB I think would say. But, without a doubt, there is some merit to the OP.

I don't count Duke since it is so unique and small but Rupp, Breslin, Phog Allen, Peterson Events Center, are atmospheres that are CONSISTENTLY better bball environments.

Last edited:
The 30k+ crowds aside, Manley was a better atmosphere if you didn't mind the dust.

57 straight wins at home.