The Coach Adrian Autry Show - before Clemson 1 | Syracusefan.com

The Coach Adrian Autry Show - before Clemson 1

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8:30PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. They are again doing a third half hour segment on Twitch: I think I will save myself some time by posting the main show and linking the Twitch segment the next day when it shows up on You-Tube.

Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics The choice, finally is the “Adrian Autry Show” or the “Fran Brown Show”!
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, I just saw a documentary on the long-time Minnesota Vikings coach Bud Grant, who was famous for his calm demeanor during games. He quoted the ancient Chinese philosopher, Lao Tsu, who said:
A leader is best when people barely know he exists, not so good when people obey and acclaim him, worse when people despise him, but of a good leader who talks little, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: "We did it ourselves". It seems to me that will work if you have leaders among your men who will keep them focused on what they have to do. Does this team have leaders like that?”

On Twitch I will ask: “Coach, what traits do you look for in a player when you decide who will start? What traits do you look for in a player you want to use coming off the bench?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Matt summarized the Louisville game: 18 lead changes, 13 ties, 8 three pointers from Chris Bell, etc. Coach Autry: “We were trying to win the game think head and give our guys chance. It was an up and down game, and they did a good job of staying with it.”

After a break I called in my question. AA: “That’s quite a question, even if I answered it. [?] I’m the leader. These guys have a comradery and closeness on and off the court. Quadir and Judah are good but once we get into the game, I think I’m a leader.” Again, Matt picked up on the theme, calling Michigan’s football team a “player-led team. We don’t really have any upperclassmen. It’s easier to lead when players have established roles.” AA: “Leaders show up in different ways with different roles. It’s not always the best players. Some people have a natural ability to lead. That makes it easier when it’s thrust upon them, especially in college.“

Matt returned to marveling at the Louisville game. “You had a foul point lead and you couldn’t get the foul accomplished. [I believe it was a three-point lead.] AA: “Everyone has their own philosophy (about fouling). I was glad they got the time out before our foul, which was too soon: it was too early to foul. We were preparing for both situations on the foul at the end. [How many situations were there: Goaltending to get us a 2 point lead, Maliq’s follow shot to get us a two point lead and….?] Louisville was not a good three point team, even though they made a lot of them that night. I was afraid of the rebound and one. Their kid made an incredible shot.” Matt wondered how much time can be devoted to practicing making fouls in that situation. AA: “You don’t want them to get fouled while in shooting motion. You don’t want them to be in the act of shooting. We made a decision and we played it out.”

Matt: “Bell scored 30 points and Maliq Brown was 5 for 5 (he had at least five of ever positive stat in the box score: points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks). Matt has checked back 15 years and found only three players in college basketball who did this and Maliq was the only one in a major conference. Then he said there was only 1 in 25 years, (I think he meant the only Syracuse players in the last 25 years.) “And hit 100% of his field goal attempts.” AA: He’s an impactful player. He makes an impact on the team and on winning the game. The last player like this that didn’t have gaudy stats but had a big impact on the game was Marek. He’s done well.”

Michale called in and congratulated Coach Autry on the “great win and the caliber of play”. He wants them to “keep swinging” and quoted John Sterling: “If you knock it’s always answered. Put it in play.” Matt: “All’s not lost. We have a season left.“ AA: 8 games. We’re excited about playing at home. I tell the players “Don’t listen to people.” Once the games are done we’ll see where we are at.” Matt noted that Clemson is now ranked #31 in the net and UNC is higher than that. We’ve still got a chance to get some big wins.” AA: “The ACC is still one of the best leagues in the country.”

Dan in Oswego complained “I don’t see the team setting any picks or going to the boards, except for Mr. Brown.“ AA: Basketball today is being played in a different style. It’s about three point shots and spacing and transition threes. The game has changed. Teams that do a good job of covering transition threes send 1-2 guys to the boards. In the last couple of games we haven’t defended the three point line or transition very well.” Matt: “It’s not about defending your man in transition: it’s about defending a man. In NBA games there are 8-10 thoroughbreds who can really shoot, even the 7 footers.” AA: “Think fast, talk early, talk loud and keep talking.”

Matt went over the ACC results. Miami only managed 38 points vs. Virginia. AA: We’ve been there. That’s a different defense, the best in the country, year in, year out.” Wake Forest had another 29 point win over Georgia Tech. AA: “They can score inside and out and are one of the best offenses in the league and country.” Clemson won at North Carolina for the second time in 62 games. PJ Hall had 25 points and 9 rebounds. Joe Girard had 21 points. And Ian Schieffelin had 14 points and 11 rebounds. AA: They are a balanced team inside and out.” Duke had no trouble beating Notre Dame 71-53. “Eight teams are between 7-4 and 5-6.

Matt: “The return of Joe Girard. It used to be nobody ever transferred to another team in the conference. There’s a personal connection but now you are competitors.” AA: “I’m not excited to see him, (laughing). Joe was one guy they added that can light it up. Coach Brownell is usually a defensive coach. He may be softening up. Familiarity with a team makes it easier when you transfer in conference.” {I would assume it makes it easier for the team as well.]

Matt said that “there’s more people to keep and eyeball on now than in the NBA. AA said something about “GMs are out scouting or looking at footage. Collage ball is taking on a professional role.” My scribble notes failed me there.

Matt suggested that SU is “looking into 180 degree territory against UNC.” Coach Autry didn’t really want to talk about it as we have to deal with Clemson first. “We didn’t complete at the proper level, like we didn’t against Wake Forest. It didn’t look like we brought it – we just didn’t have it. Not while I’m here.” (That will not be an acceptable level of play while Adrian Autry is the coach here.) [or anybody else.]

Who does he like in the Super Bowl? He wants to see if Patrick Mahomes “can do it again. To have that consistency at the highest level is amazing.”

For some reason, there was no Twitch segment. I’ll use the questions about starters and reserves on some later show.

I tried calling in but the phone was busy the final 15 minutes.

Love these write ups. Thanks.

Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8:30PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. They are again doing a third half hour segment on Twitch: I think I will save myself some time by posting the main show and linking the Twitch segment the next day when it shows up on You-Tube.

Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics The choice, finally is the “Adrian Autry Show” or the “Fran Brown Show”!
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, I just saw a documentary on the long-time Minnesota Vikings coach Bud Grant, who was famous for his calm demeanor during games. He quoted the ancient Chinese philosopher, Lao Tsu, who said:
A leader is best when people barely know he exists, not so good when people obey and acclaim him, worse when people despise him, but of a good leader who talks little, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: "We did it ourselves". It seems to me that will work if you have leaders among your men who will keep them focused on what they have to do. Does this team have leaders like that?”

On Twitch I will ask: “Coach, what traits do you look for in a player when you decide who will start? What traits do you look for in a player you want to use coming off the bench?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Matt summarized the Louisville game: 18 lead changes, 13 ties, 8 three pointers from Chris Bell, etc. Coach Autry: “We were trying to win the game think head and give our guys chance. It was an up and down game, and they did a good job of staying with it.”

After a break I called in my question. AA: “That’s quite a question, even if I answered it. [?] I’m the leader. These guys have a comradery and closeness on and off the court. Quadir and Judah are good but once we get into the game, I think I’m a leader.” Again, Matt picked up on the theme, calling Michigan’s football team a “player-led team. We don’t really have any upperclassmen. It’s easier to lead when players have established roles.” AA: “Leaders show up in different ways with different roles. It’s not always the best players. Some people have a natural ability to lead. That makes it easier when it’s thrust upon them, especially in college.“

Matt returned to marveling at the Louisville game. “You had a foul point lead and you couldn’t get the foul accomplished. [I believe it was a three-point lead.] AA: “Everyone has their own philosophy (about fouling). I was glad they got the time out before our foul, which was too soon: it was too early to foul. We were preparing for both situations on the foul at the end. [How many situations were there: Goaltending to get us a 2 point lead, Maliq’s follow shot to get us a two point lead and….?] Louisville was not a good three point team, even though they made a lot of them that night. I was afraid of the rebound and one. Their kid made an incredible shot.” Matt wondered how much time can be devoted to practicing making fouls in that situation. AA: “You don’t want them to get fouled while in shooting motion. You don’t want them to be in the act of shooting. We made a decision and we played it out.”

Matt: “Bell scored 30 points and Maliq Brown was 5 for 5 (he had at least five of ever positive stat in the box score: points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks). Matt has checked back 15 years and found only three players in college basketball who did this and Maliq was the only one in a major conference. Then he said there was only 1 in 25 years, (I think he meant the only Syracuse players in the last 25 years.) “And hit 100% of his field goal attempts.” AA: He’s an impactful player. He makes an impact on the team and on winning the game. The last player like this that didn’t have gaudy stats but had a big impact on the game was Marek. He’s done well.”

Michale called in and congratulated Coach Autry on the “great win and the caliber of play”. He wants them to “keep swinging” and quoted John Sterling: “If you knock it’s always answered. Put it in play.” Matt: “All’s not lost. We have a season left.“ AA: 8 games. We’re excited about playing at home. I tell the players “Don’t listen to people.” Once the games are done we’ll see where we are at.” Matt noted that Clemson is now ranked #31 in the net and UNC is higher than that. We’ve still got a chance to get some big wins.” AA: “The ACC is still one of the best leagues in the country.”

Dan in Oswego complained “I don’t see the team setting any picks or going to the boards, except for Mr. Brown.“ AA: Basketball today is being played in a different style. It’s about three point shots and spacing and transition threes. The game has changed. Teams that do a good job of covering transition threes send 1-2 guys to the boards. In the last couple of games we haven’t defended the three point line or transition very well.” Matt: “It’s not about defending your man in transition: it’s about defending a man. In NBA games there are 8-10 thoroughbreds who can really shoot, even the 7 footers.” AA: “Think fast, talk early, talk loud and keep talking.”

Matt went over the ACC results. Miami only managed 38 points vs. Virginia. AA: We’ve been there. That’s a different defense, the best in the country, year in, year out.” Wake Forest had another 29 point win over Georgia Tech. AA: “They can score inside and out and are one of the best offenses in the league and country.” Clemson won at North Carolina for the second time in 62 games. PJ Hall had 25 points and 9 rebounds. Joe Girard had 21 points. And Ian Schieffelin had 14 points and 11 rebounds. AA: They are a balanced team inside and out.” Duke had no trouble beating Notre Dame 71-53. “Eight teams are between 7-4 and 5-6.

Matt: “The return of Joe Girard. It used to be nobody ever transferred to another team in the conference. There’s a personal connection but now you are competitors.” AA: “I’m not excited to see him, (laughing). Joe was one guy they added that can light it up. Coach Brownell is usually a defensive coach. He may be softening up. Familiarity with a team makes it easier when you transfer in conference.” {I would assume it makes it easier for the team as well.]

Matt said that “there’s more people to keep and eyeball on now than in the NBA. AA said something about “GMs are out scouting or looking at footage. Collage ball is taking on a professional role.” My scribble notes failed me there.

Matt suggested that SU is “looking into 180 degree territory against UNC.” Coach Autry didn’t really want to talk about it as we

In fact what Maliq did Tuesday had never been done, remarkable performance

Screenshot_20240209_025847_Chrome.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom