The Coach's Show | Syracusefan.com

The Coach's Show

The podcast didn't include the second hour of the show, broadcast only locally and hosted by Gomez of TK99. From my notes:

Gomez opened the second half by thanking the coach for not heading to Buffalo. Jim went over the reason why we were losing so many football coaches to the Bills. “It’s coaching at the highest level for 2-3 times the money. Most college basketball coaches have little interest in the NBA. You’re always going to lose guys when a coach goes to the NFL. It’s not unusual, particularly with young coaches. Coach P lost 2-3 guys a year.”

Gomez described the need to replace James Southerland as “graduation day freshmen to the next level”. JB: “They are young and learning with a lot of work to be done.” He said that the two threes Cooney had hit vs. Villanova was “great for his confidence”. DaJuan Coleman, “is an emotional player. Big guys can take time. They don’t play big guys in high school.”

They talked about Louisville who has “played a match-up zone for years. It’s different than ours- it has to be attacked differently . They have a big shot blocker inside.”

They discussed game preparation . Jim said that they have tapes on every team they play, a minimum of 4-5 games and “I’ve seen like 5-8 games and we have highlights of last year’s game with them. We have a system where we can tape all games, network or anywhere. We can also request the last three games. It all gets downloaded.” Gomez wondered if they focus on the other team’s defeats. JB: “We don’t just look at the defeats. We look at all the games. We look for something. Sometimes a guy won’t make shots in that game. You have to look at the whole body of work. Louisville didn’t have their center when they lost. He was a huge loss. The big guy is a great shot blocker and they have great, great guards.

Clark Kellogg had described Syracuse as “not disruptive enough”. JB pointed out that we force more turnovers than most teams and that our defensive numbers are actually better than last year. “We had a better shot blocker and a better offensive team last year.”

They again talked about the lack of a dominant team in the country this year. “Louisville may be the exception or Michigan. I’m not sure Kansas is that good. Duke could be if they get Kelly back. Other good teams are Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio State, Florida, Butler, VCU and Gonzaga.

Gomez suggested that we stop using the team “mid-major” because that under-rates teams like Butler, VCU and Gonzaga. JB pointed out that, while people were “aghast” when we lost to Butler, the one player in that game that made it in the NBA was Gordon Heyward of Butler. “I’ve never used ‘mid-major’ to describe those teams.

Jim thinks Rick Pitino should be in the Hall of Fame. “He’s been to the Final Four with two different schools”.

There was something about Coach Hopkins “going viral” with a rendition of ‘Frosty the Snowman’. (I’m not sure I want to search for that or not.)

They talked about Temple’s Kaliff Wyatt, who had 33 points against Syracuse and “hasn’t slowed down” since. Jim was asked if he worried about somebody going off like that in the tournament. Jim said that you can actually focus on one guy better in a zone than in a man for man and pointed out how we shut down Bryce Cotton of Providence after his big first half and we shut down a Villanova player who has 33 in the previous game and got 7 against us. “We can cheat out and find a guy. The forward must be aware of him.” Gomez asked if a guy had to make a set number of shots before we gave him special defensive attention. JB said not and that “with some guys we want to get to them before they make shots.”

A caller wondered if plays were designed for Trevor Cooney to get him open. JB: “Those are plays for 2 guards. We also have plays for the point guard, for our big guys. We got them open 6 times in a row and they scored 6 times. We’re not going to run a play for Trevor until he makes shots.”

I called in a question for the second hour. Coach had reminisced about some of the big wins we had before the Big East started, including a victory at New Mexico where we had to make a comeback in the loudest arena he’s ever been in and in thin air to beat a very good team. I pointed out that that was the game where we picked up on the standing and clapping before the first basket by the home team and wondered whose idea it was for us to start doing that or if it just happened spontaneously. He did remember that that’s where we got it but didn’t comment further.

He’d also called the 1975-76 Indiana team the best he ever saw. I asked him if that team would have been even better if Larry Bird, who first went to Indiana and then transferred to Indiana State before playing any game, (I he said he didn’t like the big city). Bird was a great player of the sort who makes his teammates better but that was a very tight-knight, physical defensive team. Jim said they “would have been just as good or better. He would have fit right in in that system”. But he wondered if Larry, at that age might not have been strong enough to crack the starting line-up. Still, adding Larry Bird to a 32-0 national championship team is kind of scary.

Gomez noted that this the anniversary of Patrick Ewing’s first trip to the Dome back in 1982, (what is Michelle Munn doing these days?) JB: “That was a huge, exciting game, (we won 75-70), He was going to Georgetown all the way but he talked to a lot of people. He had about 20 home visits.” Gomez asked what were JB’s top three memories of Georgetown games. They were:

1) When John Thompson was thrown out. “That was pretty good.”

2) Pearl’s shot to beat their #1 ranked team in the Dome.

3) Dave Johnson hit a shot over Alonzo Mourning to win the Big East Tournament.

Kevin in Lyncourt wanted to know how the coach deals with a noisy atmosphere. JB: “You kind of get used to it. You really don’t hear the noise, (except, apparently, at New Mexico). Our fans get excited for the big games.”

Shaquille O’Neal has called for a change in the NBA rule such that players can’t be drafted until they’ve spent 3 years in college. JB said that that’s what Shaq should have done. (I still think kids should be able to go right to the pros but if they go to college they shouldn’t be drafted until after their class has graduated: the idea of being in college is supposed to be to get a degree.) “The league would pass it but the player’s association won’t allow it. It’s agent driven. Careers would last longer. Young players take their jobs. “

Jim was surprised that USC would fire their coach, Kevin O’Neill, in mid-season but felt “they were going to make a change.”

Regarding the fans rushing the court at NC State, where the guy in the wheelchair was rescued during a court-storming by C.J. Leslie. JB: North Carolina State fans should expect to win but it’s OK”. (How often do they beat a #1 ranked Duke team?)

John in Syracuse asked if Carmelo Anthony had enough of a supporting cast to make it to the NBA Finals. “It will be tough to beat Miami. But they are better.” Gomez asked about the reports of Melo fasting. “I never heard of that and didn’t know about it. Olajuwon used to fast during the season. “ Gomez asked if Melo was the hardest player to stop offensively in the NBA. JB felt he and Durant were tied. He feels that LeBron is “more Magic than Michael and Magic was the best I’ve seen, (as a point guard). Gomez pointed out that there are only nine 20 point-per-game scorers in the NBA this year, the lowest total since 1964-65, (when there were only 9 teams in the league- and thus 45 starters, not 30 and 150 starters as there are now). JB attributed it to “more balance- there’s a lot of box scores with 4-5 guys with 16, 17 or 18 points”.

They talked about the Laker’s problems. “They just don’t have the right pieces and they struggle defensively. Gasol scores better at the ‘5’”.

Doug in North Syracuse wanted to know why the refs never seem to call palming the ball any more. “I don’t see that much palming in college- maybe a little. I know they don’t call 3 seconds. You can have a high dribble- the hand must be under the ball, (for it to be palming).”

JB didn’t watch Lance Armstrong’s interview with Oprah, (Matt Park had earlier said he couldn’t even find it). JB: “He did it. There’s not much point coming clean now. He probably was the best guy. Everybody will do it. A competitor wouldn’t finish 6th or 7th. People are very naïve to believe people won’t take drugs to compete or make teams. A lot of guys haven’t gotten sick.”

Gomez closed by asking what they keys were to beat Louisville. “You have to play great. It’s the only way to beat the #1 team at home or away.” (Unless you’re taking what Lance took.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom