The committee should just seed teams naturally 1-68 from now on | Syracusefan.com

The committee should just seed teams naturally 1-68 from now on

Alsacs

Living Legend
With minor changes to prevent conference matchups in the first or second rounds.

Michigan State was seeded 6th overall and got put in the number 1 overall seed’s bracket, while Michigan got 8th seed overall and last 2 seed got put in the West with 4th number 1 seed.

I did my bracketing for the top 9 lines understanding this is how the committee would do bracketing.

Location is a nice break but balance is more important.

Also the committee completely negated the importance of conference tournaments this year.

Really only Duke was rewarded becoming the number 1 overall seed.

Auburn didn’t get bumped up to a 4 seed.

Villanova was a 6 seed despite winning the regular season and conference tournament.

Iowa State was a 6 seed despite winning the Big XII.

Michigan State won the regular season and conference tournament and were given a 2 seed with the number 1 overall seed.

Florida State beat Purdue in the regular season and beat Virginia on a neutral floor and were seeded as a 4 behind Purdue as a 3.

Are you assuming that conference strengths are equal? Is winning the ACC the same as winning the Big East, Big 10 etc and visa versa? Are out of conference losses/wins equal or irrelevant same with home wins vs away or neutral wins/losses? I’m not saying that there aren’t some questionable seedings but isn’t that going to be inevitable since conference strengths, even conference schedules less out of conference schedules are inherently inequitable?

Are you assuming that conference strengths are equal? Is winning the ACC the same as winning the Big East, Big 10 etc and visa versa? Are out of conference losses/wins equal or irrelevant same with home wins vs away or neutral wins/losses? I’m not saying that there aren’t some questionable seedings but isn’t that going to be inevitable since conference strengths, even conference schedules less out of conference schedules are inherently inequitable?
Michigan State had the most Quad-1 wins in the nation.
They won their conference regular season and conference tournament.
Beat a fellow 2 seed 3 times and was seeded below a team in Gonzaga that had 4 quad 1 wins which were Duke, St. Mary’s x2, Washington.

The committee didn’t care about conference tournaments. As Michigan State beat 3 tournament teams in their conference tournament Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

I can atleast see Tennessee over Michigan State but Gonzaga nope.

Florida State, Iowa State, Auburn didn’t get bumps based on how the released rankings showed they ended up.
Purdue got treated better than Michigan State.
When Michigan State did a lot more.

The committee has said in the past they’ll move a team up or down one seed from where they belong to make the brackets work. If they’re seeding 1-68 and still doing that, this is a semantics argument.

Since they do that because they’ve decided it’s the most efficient and fair way to fill in the brackets, you need to explain how bracketing is done without moving teams up/down in seed - not just hand wave the issue away as “minor changes”.

Committee chair said the seeded MSU where they did to put them in a favorable POD location.

Committee chair said the seeded MSU where they did to put them in a favorable POD location.

yeah, i heard him say that, but something tells me every MSU coach, player and fan would have been fine flying out to Anaheim versus flying to DC if it meant avoiding Duke.

No doubt that Gonzaga’s seeding can be questioned. Their win early against Duke at full strength seemed to have carried quite a bit of weight and maybe even their losses against UNC and Tennessee did too? Michigan St being named in the FBI investigation probably didn’t help them either nor losing to Indiana twice and Illinois who Gonzaga beat.

Now Fla St had a favorable ACC schedule (sounds like it continues next year) playing Duke, UNC and Va only once in the regular season losing all 3 (they played the bottom of the league twice home and away-(Wake, Ga Tech, and Miami). We were their best away game win. They did do very well late in the conference tournament and are a talented, dangerous team. The unbalanced schedules in most of these conferences probably gives more leeway to away wins vs home wins etc to the committee in evaluating win/losses - when they want to. :rolleyes:

Yeah I saw that but he is FOS.
If you asked Izzo if he could choose Kansas City with UNC, Anaheim with Gonzaga or Washington DC with Duke he wouldn’t choose Duke.
So the committee didn’t do them any favor.
Izzo was interviewed by Jeff Goodman and was pissed he got bracketed with the number 1 overall seed.

Gonzaga didn’t deserve a 1 seed on their resume. They did on the eye test but their resume was inferior to Tennessee atleast and when Michigan State win the Big Ten them as well.

So if things are seeded without respect to location you wouldn't complain if SU somehow wound up facing Michigan State in Lansing in the sweet 16 now would you?

Location matters in some cases. It depends on how well the school travels.

Lose to Illinois and then Indiana twice you aren’t getting a 1 seed.

I think MSU lost a couple of those games when having key guys out due to injury, but I'm not certain.

Who did Gonzaga beat from January to March? Their resume is not better than Michigan State.

So if things are seeded without respect to location you wouldn't complain if SU somehow wound up facing Michigan State in Lansing in the sweet 16 now would you?

Location matters in some cases. It depends on how well the school travels.
The lower seed doesn’t complain when the higher seed has location advantage.

The point is the 2/3/4 seeds shouldn’t be in the location they prefer over a balanced bracket.

1-8-9-16
2-7-10-15
3-6-11-14
4-5-12-13

Is how the brackets should be balanced. Instead the brackets aren’t balanced and the number 4 1 seed can have the lowest 2 seed,
The brackets ended up
1-6-11-16
2-5-12-15
3-7-9-13
4-8-10-14

Who did Gonzaga beat from January to March? Their resume is not better than Michigan State.

But Gonzaga would be favored against sparty.

Last edited:
But Gonzaga would be favored against as party.
I agree Gonzaga passes the eye test.
If they were 30-1 and won their conference tournament okay give them ignore the resume.
They lost 3 games and didn’t win their conference tournament.
Michigan State won the regular season and conference tournament that has to mean something.

Gonzaga should have been below them based on resume. Gonzaga has to have more Quad-1 wins or an even better record.
The computers could favor Gonzaga on the court but it shouldn’t be enough.
The worst thing the committee did was seed Gonzaga and Tennessee higher than Michigan State.
I can’t see Michigan State’s resume 6th best and I don’t like them at all.

With minor changes to prevent conference matchups in the first or second rounds.

Michigan State was seeded 6th overall and got put in the number 1 overall seed’s bracket, while Michigan got 8th seed overall and last 2 seed got put in the West with 4th number 1 seed.

I did my bracketing for the top 9 lines understanding this is how the committee would do bracketing.

Location is a nice break but balance is more important.

Also the committee completely negated the importance of conference tournaments this year.

Really only Duke was rewarded becoming the number 1 overall seed.

Auburn didn’t get bumped up to a 4 seed.

Villanova was a 6 seed despite winning the regular season and conference tournament.

Iowa State was a 6 seed despite winning the Big XII.

Michigan State won the regular season and conference tournament and were given a 2 seed with the number 1 overall seed.

Florida State beat Purdue in the regular season and beat Virginia on a neutral floor and were seeded as a 4 behind Purdue as a 3.

auburn was a 6 or 7 seed before conference tournament win

auburn was a 6 or 7 seed before conference tournament win
If Mississippi State was a 5 I disagree.
Auburn played just as good a nonconference and finished above Mississippi State in the SEC and were in the Finals before Sunday.
Auburn and Mississippi State shouldn’t have been the same seed.
Auburn had x2 over Tennessee and split with Miss State.

has anyone gone through and checked the questionable seeding decision with the NET, and see if it correlates? I don't have the time to dive into it, but would be curious.

I agree Gonzaga passes the eye test.
If they were 30-1 and won their conference tournament okay give them ignore the resume.
They lost 3 games and didn’t win their conference tournament.
Michigan State won the regular season and conference tournament that has to mean something.

Gonzaga should have been below them based on resume. Gonzaga has to have more Quad-1 wins or an even better record.
The computers could favor Gonzaga on the court but it shouldn’t be enough.
The worst thing the committee did was seed Gonzaga and Tennessee higher than Michigan State.
I can’t see Michigan State’s resume 6th best and I don’t like them at all.

I think the BIG has more inflated metrics than any other conference. Just look at the teams that didn't make it. Illinois was 12-21 they were still 83 in KenPom rating. Northwestern was 13-19 and 74. Nebraska was 18-16 and was 39. Rutgers of all teams was 14-17 and was 77. Rutgers is absolutely awful. They lost to a Fordham team by 8 that went 12-20 and lost to Maine who is one of the worst teams in division 1.

The BIG was at a distinct advantage this year because they play a round robin schedule with 20 games and even their bad teams don't count as bad losses according to the metrics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom