The comp for our program right now is Maryland at the end with Gary Williams | Syracusefan.com

The comp for our program right now is Maryland at the end with Gary Williams

Alsacs

Living Legend
This will drive Townie insane and bring a long post on the Terrapin club.

With this said I will add JB is one level above Gary Williams. However both are HOFers who coached their alma mater and loved their schools.
Williams at his peak wasn't Boeheim but it's a good comp.
Gary is 71 now and JB is 72.
Gary Williams stopped recruiting and that was his downfall in 2011. JB got his second golden age in 2011 with good recruiting.
Williams was forced out in 2011 and it took his successor 3 years to get the program back to national player.
Maryland has a huge fanbase(we will hear about it)
Syracuse has a huge fanbase.
Both have their love for basketball. Both left their traditional conferences for greener pastures.

I just hope it doesn't take 3 years for JB's successor to make us nationally relevant.

With this said I will add JB is one level above Gary Williams. However both are HOFers who coached their alma mater and loved their schools.
Gary Williams stopped recruiting and that was his downfall in 2011. JB got his second golden age in 2011 with good recruiting.
Williams was forced out in 2011 and it took his successor 3 years to get the program back to national player.
Both have their love for basketball. Both left their traditional conferences for greener pastures.

I just hope it doesn't take 3 years for JB's successor to make us nationally relevant.
True but it's not out of the realm of possibility that it would be longer than 3 years. Those that keep demanding JBs done should keep that in mind imo

True but it's not out of the realm of possibility that it would be longer than 3 years. Those that keep demanding JBs done should keep that in mind imo
It shouldn't take 3 years with our recruiting facility,
Conference affiliation, home stadium size and tremendous fan support, and location.

It would take a long time if the program was left in trouble like Maryland was by Gary Williams. It shouldn't be left in trouble but appears likely will.

Oh yeah. I've witnessed a lot of that great fan support in the last couple of weeks.

And look who has the temerity to state it.

Oh yeah. I've witnessed a lot of that great fan support in the last couple of weeks.

And look who has the temerity to state it.
Tell me the last time Syracuse wasn't top 5 in basketball attendance.
Also please fans are customers find any program with patience.

Williams was 84-37 his last 3 years. Turgeon was 58-43 his first 3. Turgeon was helped big time by moving to the Big 10 from the ACC his past 2 years.

Good call Alsacs. I was going over numbers really quick and if you take 300 wins off JB's total and about 5 wins on average a year off of Syracuse over the last 30 years they are basically the same. Great comparison.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but "3 years" in your comp = 2 years of Mike and then a national hire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom