The Cooney as RS frosh vs Rautins as true frosh thing | Syracusefan.com

The Cooney as RS frosh vs Rautins as true frosh thing

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I don't think it's good to compare Cooney and Rautins. I think the origin of that comparison stems from 1) they're both SU guys 2) that had reps as shooters coming in and 3) are both white.

Here's why it's a bad comparison - Rautins was plenty athletic (not jump out of the gym athletic, but he was quick and coordinated), he lacked the strength and bulk to provide much his first year in the program. He made 32.6% of his threes and 37.7% of his field goals - not stellar %ages or anything, but a better clip than Cooney's 29% and 34%. Cooney's issue isn't really strength and bulk, it's the athleticism. I think he's athletic enough to get by, but he's not really making shots. Keep in mind, he had a whole season to practice and develop before playing a minute for us.

If you want to make the Rautins vs Cooney comparison the appropriate comp is Rautins' sophomore year vs Cooney's current season.

If you do that, it's not close. The better Cooney comparison right now is Janulis' freshman season.

During Rautins Frosh AND Sophomore season, people were debating whether or not he was a D1 player, or just a legacy recruit...

Cooney will be fine.

During Rautins Frosh AND Sophomore season, people were debating whether or not he was a D1 player, or just a legacy recruit...

Cooney will be fine.
Rautins had a very good sophomore season. You're revising history a little bit there.

I'm also not saying that Cooney won't be fine. What I'm saying is that I don't expect him to follow the trajectory Rautins did.