The Day The Music Died | Syracusefan.com

The Day The Music Died

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
For me, Feb. 25, 2023. I did not care enough to tune into or listen to the Pitt. game. Bye bye miss American pie. Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry.
Curious to see when others turned the page.

Last edited:
Maybe tonight. It’s like the girl you’re going through a break up with. You don’t want to let go of all the good, but the relationship is failing.

For me, Feb. 25, 2023. I did not care enough to tune into or listen to the Pitt. game. Bye bye miss American pie. Drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry.
Curious to see when others turned the page.
11/20/2021 first loss vs Colgate. I knew the program was basically finished under JB. Nothing has changed my mind since.

Fat titties turn to teardrops as fat ass turns to flab.

Sores that were open wounds eventually turn to scabs.

Trees bright and green turn yellow brown, Autumn caught em.

See all them leaves must fall down, growing old.
andre should be the next coach..

937f3447b5c94449f8cb4f00445fe86c.jpg

Change is a must. Program isn't dead but it needs change and quickly paired with the continued commitment of support for NIL from our big fish and small fish alike.

Hire the right guy and put a shot in the arm into cuse hoops again. Let's do this. Let's also see JB, K, Roy and Jay Wright in a HoFr roundtable on one of the networks talking hoops. Love to see the world hear JB talk hoops as he loves it not as he is struggling with it.

Change is a must. Program isn't dead but it needs change and quickly paired with the continued commitment of support for NIL from our big fish and small fish alike.

Hire the right guy and put a shot in the arm into cuse hoops again. Let's do this. Let's also see JB, K, Roy and Jay Wright in a HoFr roundtable on one of the networks talking hoops. Love to see the world hear JB talk hoops as he loves it not as he is struggling with it.
Program is on life support. The right hire is imperative, as is the timing. Another year makes it that much harder.

Imagine if JB had gone the TV route 5-6 years ago. People across the country might actually like him, his legacy would be in tact and Syracuse basketball might actually be relevant.

Program is on life support. The right hire is imperative, as is the timing. Another year makes it that much harder.

Imagine if JB had gone the TV route 5-6 years ago. People across the country might actually like him, his legacy would be in tact and Syracuse basketball might actually be relevant.
Can’t agree more. Should’ve hung it up at age 72 ish, which was only a mere 10 years beyond the normal retirement age. Or at WORST, ride off into the sunset with your boys last year? What’s the heck else is there to prove at age 78? Gosh I hope I’m not that stubborn at that age

For me, I knew the program was in deep trouble during the investigation and its fate was cemented with the move to the ACC. If the question is, when did I stop caring and/or watching? Well, the answer is never and I haven’t. I mean, I still watch Syracuse football every Saturday. Enough said. However, I guess I am resigned to having no chance at any type of a championship, ACC or otherwise, and I guess that started about five or six years ago.

Losses early - they are young and will get better. And they did. Close losses to good teams - encourged but diappointed to know NCAA bid was gone. And then ... Found GT game on ESPN stream. Saw early score and switched to 1923 only to get pissed by Taylor Sheridan's dark view of human nature. That was it. Remembered how I used to listen on the radio back in ECAC days in my childhood home in Skaneateles when Skaneateles was a typical CNY village. Sad.

Yup...Mike Hopkins would have taken over. Not sure how successful he'd be so we might have been on our second coach by now.

Our AD needs to figure this out. NIL, NBA/G League, Transfer Portal all are huge issues and he needs to hire a coach that can best exploit the current realities.

Time for Jim to be our elder statesman.

The first retirement was the right time and it should have happened then. I had mentally turned the page on the Boeheim era at that point. I was extremely disheartened by what happened with Hop/Jim and didn't like that he was coming back. It had the feeling of holding on too long at that point. The nail in the coffin for me was the Houston loss in the Sweet 16. Seeing how badly they got throttled in that game was jarring. Just my opinion only, but that was another opportunity for Jim to step away that went by the wayside. He got the chance to coach Buddy, got a sweet 16 run. You could see that was the pinnacle for this program in it's current state. Hindsight has only hardened the fact that he should have taken any number of those opportunities to step aside and receive his roses. This has all become really sad. It's bad that I have to keep reminding myself that we can respect and appreciate everything JAB has done, but also know he's a shadow of that figure at this point.

Yup...Mike Hopkins would have taken over. Not sure how successful he'd be so we might have been on our second coach by now.

Our AD needs to figure this out. NIL, NBA/G League, Transfer Portal all are huge issues and he needs to hire a coach that can best exploit the current realities.

Time for Jim to be our elder statesman.

Well who is gonna make the call. Our biggest booster, according to those in the know, is the trash guy who is Jim's best friend. He's not making any waves i wouuld think.

Sounds like JW is going to let JAB make the retirement decision due to the lifetime achievement. Which admirable in a vacuum but terrible in reality when JAB isn't accepting of the performance downshift.

Chancellor is probably outsourced this issue to JW and doesn't care that much. The BoT probably is starting to whisper to each other but who knows how much angst they can provide for Chancellor and/or AD.

I feel like we're all saying the same exact thing and i've said it prob 10x in the past month:

1. time to go
2. not our call or anyone's other than Jims
3. if he makes the call, the community/school/board/NCAA can provide Jim with a very nice send off.
4. off to new coach threads (that'll be an insane redunancy situation)

Listen to the latest podcast - "The Solid Verbal". It's about the haves and have-nots in college sports. Hint - we aren't one of the haves. The emphasis is on what's happening with the Pac 12 - but it gets into the ACC at length as well.

Alabama is #1 in college hoops - there's a reason for this.

We might as well turn back to the Big East. It'd be fun playing Nova, PC, etc again when it means something. And we actually might be able to compete for a conference title from time to time.

The ACC will fracture - inevitably - and we will be left behind. Our peers are now schools like Wake Forest, not Duke and Carolina. We haven't sniffed an ACC title in a decade.

PERHAPS a grand slam hire can bring Syracuse hoops back - PERHAPS. Problem is - if you are an aspiring, mid major coach - do you want to come in behind Boeheim? Or go elsewhere? Think hard about that.

The program lost me when JB didn't go out with his kids last year. The perfect farewell tour. Opportunity lost.