The defense last night | Syracusefan.com

The defense last night

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
BC's best three players are guards. These players, combined, shoot 18.2 threes/game and make 7.3/game (40% clip). Extremely efficient for this level of basketball. Their entire game-plan revolves around these players making plays, i.e. making shots. The first 10 minutes of the game last night were... not good.

What was the plan exactly? Serious question. Were we hoping they would miss shots? Do we give BC all the credit for making the shots? Their ball movement was very good, but too many times we lose the players we should be focusing the entire game plan around. It can't happen. Good players are going to score, but giving up wide open shots to good shooters at D1 schools?

The defense last night was last-year level bad.
Though some credit to BC as they did execute quite well most of the time. Flashing (not anchoring) different playmaking guards to the FT line seems to be the new blueprint for success against JB’s 2-3

I think our guys are so down on the offensive side it’s breeding complacency on the def side. Defenses are so much more active after scoring

It certainly is when you lack the mental toughness. I tuned into the Villanova/Seton Hall game last night when it became apparent in the second half we were toast. 'Nova struggled most of the night on O, but never let it bleed into their D. Game went into OT at 52 each. D is 99.9% mindset, grit, focus, etc.

We made them look like the Golden State Warriors last night. If anyone didn't expect threes to rain down from heaven on our zone, then I don't know what to tell ya.

It was bad, and bizarre really. The few times we extended our D and focused on that, they missed a few mid rangers...go figure.

It was bad, and bizarre really. The few times we extended our D and focused on that, they missed a few mid rangers...go figure.

This. It adds to the frustration level, when if we just did the little things, things tend to go in our favor. Extend the D, drive, try to rebound... sometime we look like a pick-up team just BS'ing the whole game...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom