The Dino Babers Show before Boston College | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show before Boston College

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday.

I’ll be summarizing the comments directly related to the team and the next game (late) on the night of the broadcast and anything else interesting the next day, (if there is anything else that seems interesting). I’ll have a “first hour” and a “second hour” question.

They are doing the show on Zoom, not at any local restaurant.

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Home | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn
I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s) or Comments

“Firstly, coach, I looked up the record of ACC teams the week after a Clemson game since we joined the conference in 2013, (which also about the time Clemson because the perennial national championship contender they are now). ACC are 31-34 the next week. Florida State and Louisville are 10-3, (although that includes two FCS opponents and Kent State). Syracuse and Wake Forest are 4-10, suggesting that the impact of playing Clemson is greater if you don’t have a lot of depth.

My Errol Flynn movie reference for the week is “Desperate Journey”, where Flynn, Ronald Reagan and Alan Hale are airmen downed over Nazi Germany during WWII who got through a lot of adventures trying to get back to England but survive by keeping their spirits up and coming together as a team to survive to fight again another day.

My question today concerns a favorite topic of yours, speed. We had a debate on our Syracusefan.com board about who was the fastest player on the team. Newspaper articles say that Sean Tucker was hand-timed in 4.29 seconds in the 40 yard dash but Jawahr Jordan was electronically timed in 4.37. One poster said that hand timing is not only less accurate but tends to record a faster time because the timer tends to have a delayed reaction to the start of a race but to anticipate the finish. That poster said that a hand timed 4.29 is the equivalent of an electronic 4.4. He quoted their electronic 100 meter times: 10.64 for Jawhar and 10.77 for Sean. But you don’t have to run 100 meters in football. Another poster posted Sean’s electronic 55 meter (6.41) and 60 meter (6.88) times and claimed that that’s the equivalent of 4.26 in the 40. Still another said that if you really want ‘football speed’, you should use a 10 meter dash. Neither guy is likely to be caught from behind.

What distance do you prefer to use in evaluating a player’s speed? How much do you use metrics like 40 times and bench press amounts in determining who to recruit and who to play? Who is the fastest player on your team when everybody’s healthy? And what was your 40 time at U of Hawaii?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

(Note: There will be no show next week as there is no game that weekend. The next show will be the following Wednesday as the Louisville game is on Friday.)

This will be the first game in the new Dome on a hot day. Dino is hoping it will be “like the old days” when the building became debilitatingly hot. (That requires fans, Dino.) Of course, we supposedly have air conditioning now. There also new door on the way. Matt says they are as hard to open as ever so he’s looking forward to the new ones.

On Trill Williams: “He’s an instate kid who always wanted to play in the NFL. he told me he wanted to get there wearing Orange and Blue. He gave us two strong years and memories we’ll never forget. I love his Mom and Dad and his sister is one of my favorites. He’s a fantastic artist.” Matt said “He has great ball skills and as fun to watch. He and Andre Cisco were a big part of the 2018 season. Dino: Two guys from the northeast, even though Cisco went to IMG in Florida.”

Dino said “We’ll play the guys we have already been playing. We might get five years out of some guys, (with the extra year of eligibility). It will be interesting to see where parity is in 4-5 years. Some schools might be playing at the level of some schools you wouldn’t think they would be as good as.”

John in Baltimore called in to praise Cooper Lutz for his running, pass catching and blocking and suggest that he will make a good third down back. He also likes Lee Kpogba’s tackling nobody hits like he does. He suggested that with the loss of two excellent defensive backs, it’s now the linebacker corps that is our deepest unit. He wondered if we could take our best cover linebacker and make him a sort of ‘rover’. He could help with the tackling and the run game. Dino: “We have the flexibility to do that. Brian Urlacher played that kind of position when he was at New Mexico. The thing is, you’ve got to get away from playing man-for-man if you do that and play more zone. We are trying to play more man-to-man.”

I called in my comments and questions. I suggested that coach would like the scene in “Desperate Journey” where Nazi Raymond Massey tries to get Ronald Reagan to describe the workings of the high-altitude engines his plane used:

He didn’t want the Nazis to know anything ahead of time and I suggested Dino had the same attitude. He said he’s seen the movie and he did like that scene.

He said that his 40 yard dash time was first hand recorded as 4.75 “by a guy who didn’t know what he was doing”. After that he was consistently timed in 4.48-4.52. “I weighed 210-212 pounds at the time.”
(Here is his collegiate record: Dino Babers College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
He actually led Hawaii in rushing in 1983 with only 295 yards!) “Weight matters. If you can run a 4.4 at 160 pounds that’s one thing. But if you can run it at 210, that’s another. I can look and know who should be in the race. 20 yards is the most important distance in football. You need a fast start. Nykeim runs a 4.4 or 4.3. Luke Benson isn’t as fast over short distances but he might be the best on the team at 100 yards, although he’s put on weight. Taj is very fast. It’s about distance and body type. Tucker, Benson, Cisco, Trill, Iffy and Garrett have plenty of body weight behind them. Sharod and Courtney are very fast. I think I’ve included everyone.” I suggested he’d left out Jawhar. “Yes, Jawhar belongs in there. he can flat out go right by you. He might be the fastest at 40 yards.”

Matt suggested that “It’s a rare thing to run 40 yards in a straight line in football. It’s the quick bursts that make the difference.” Dino: “They get so far in front of you that you think you can’t catch them A lot of players won’t chase a guy who gets out in the open. What they don’t understand is that some guys are fast out of the blocks but you can run them down. At 50-60 yards speeds change. A few guys can completely erase angles. You don’t chase Bo Jackson or OJ Simpson.” Matt added “Herschel Walker. Some guys are freaks. They have a gift from God. But they also work on it like mad.”

They talked about Boston College. Matt noted that the Eagles have David Bailey, who with AJ Dillon, crushed us last year back at running back. He suggested that Sean Tucker and Cooper Lutz might give us a pretty good 1-2 punch this year. Dino: “BC defends the run extremely well and they can throw the ball better than anybody. They are really efficient, which gives them an opportunity to do it again.” (That must be nice.) They have some outstanding transfers to go with the team that beat us last year. Beating them will be a tall order.”

At this point, Matt’s feed went silent and Dino was all alone, asking Matt…Matt…are you still there?” It almost became the Dino Baber Show starring only Dino Babers. But they got matt’s feed fixed and, to Dino’s relief, the show resumed.

Matt asked about the progress of our young quarterbacks. “We’ve been running all three quarterbacks behind the #1 offensive line. They are working hard to develop, trying to get better. It will be fun to see if they get an opportunity to play. I want them to help us win.” Matt noted that “rex is a veteran guy. He ahs issues with giveaways.” Dino took a predictable tact. “it’s a mixed bag. They weren’t all his fault. It’s all about who is more productive. Who is moving the team? We’ll add all that up during practice and make a decision on game day.”

Matt asked about BC’s new quarterback, Phil Jurkovec, who, per Athlon was the #4 rated dual threat QB in his class when he came to Notre Dame. He’s a big dude at 6-5 227. Dino: “he’s exactly what you didn’t want BC to get. With this guy they can both run it and throw it. They have a good scheme with their new offensive coordinator.” Matt: They have more players and more answers at every position.” Dino: They have an outstanding, big tailback and 4 of 5 offensive linemen are upper-classmen.” They also have an outstanding wide receiver from Ft. Lauderdale, (Zay Flowers).

Matt summarized an E-mail from “Donald from New York”, that contained a lot of information about New York recruiting, saying that there are 30 division 1 players from this state, “just short of what Michigan has”. But “most were in the Ivy League or 1AA”, (which includes the Ivy League). But he wanted to know if New York is under-recruited. Dino: “This state has good football players. We wanted the kid who is at Indiana, (Stevie Scott), but like Mike Hart some years back, he wanted to go out-of-state. We really wanted Gabe Horan and we got him but then he got injured. Trill was an in-state kid. We want to get every New York kid we can but we also have tog et players from Canada, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Maryland, etc. We start in New York and move out.” Matt noted that Syracuse and Boston College are similar in that they have to recruit out of their area and Dino concurred.

They talked about the problems other conference have had with CoVid outbreaks and ‘skipping’ games. DB: “The ACC should be proud in the way they’ve handled this.” Matt was amazed that one school facing a cancelled game tried to find another opponent – who could play them in two days! Dino: “I wouldn’t want to write that check.”

The guest assist ant coach, (who are now having the good sense to bring in earlier), was Reno Ferri, who coaches the tight ends and ‘inside receivers’, (the slot guys). Dino said “Out tight ends don’t catch a lot of balls but they get a high percentage of touchdowns.” (8 catches this year for 3 scores in 8 games after 31 catches for 7TDs in 12 game last year.) He noted that Coach Ferri was a West point graduate and that “every answer from him will be black or white, with no grey”.

Ferri announced that he “takes games one by one. I don’t know how many we have left.” He’s “working with the guys to improve their methodology and completely focus on the next opponent.” (Who knew?) “They are team players and are just trying to get better. They’ve done what we’ve wanted from a results perspective. The process is that the better you do on Tuesday and Wednesday, the better you’ll do on Thursday and Friday and then the game.”

Nykeim Johnson, “was injured last year. He had surgery just before camp. He’s into diet and Pilates.”

On the current recuring class: “It’s close to completion. We are bring them in for some official visits. It’s too early to evaluate the class. The pandemic has “accelerated everything. It’s not normal. It’s changed the recruits lifestyle so they have all day to talk to us and we have all day to talk to them. Every school has probably completed their class.” (I hope we have room for transfers.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom