The Dino Babers Show- before Pittsburgh | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show- before Pittsburgh

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
Dino Babers Radio Show Debuts Wednesday

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: WGVA

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question!

You can listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers

I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s)

“Coach, you now have seen what we’ve got here and are planning to create here and you’ve seen how difficult the ACC is, especially our division which is producing multiple national championship contenders each year. What are reasonable goals for this program when you get it built up the way you want to? Could we win this division, win the league or maybe even make a run at a national title someday? Or will we have to be satisfied with something less than those goals?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

(They were still in the Cavalier Room. They will move to Shaughnessy’s when it is finished. )

Coach Babers had just come in from practice and “watching a little film” and after the show he’ll be working on the game plan. The team will have an early practice tomorrow and then break at 11:45 for a “Thanksgiving spread prepared by the catering system we have”. They did let the non-travel guys go. Coach said that if they were listening, they need to “slow down to the speed limit!” Matt found out that the coach doesn’t like cranberry sauce. Dino: It looks like jelly but it doesn’t taste like it.

I called in my question. HCDB: “Our goal is to win the division. . Some teams have a whole bunch and some teams don’t’. Our style of play allows us to play up to their level if the offensive and defensive lines are able to let the skill players make plays. We need 21-22-23 year old linemen who have bene in the program for 3-4 years. if we can win our side and then win the next game, then we should get to play for the national championship.”

Liam in Pompey didn’t ask about the officiating- that’s an upset. He just wanted to know our chances to beat Pitt. DB: “They are an excellent team. They scored 43 points on Clemson and we got shut out. They have an outstanding big back who runs over people. They have a stingy front seven and you know our problems with running the ball. They’ve had some trouble on the back end of their defense but they have outstanding pass rushers. “

Ron called to say he remembers when he was an undergraduate and all the great players we had then, some of whom he knew personally. “We used to be known as ‘Wide Receiver U.’” Dino said “We will be again.” Ron wanted the coach to promise not to leave and asked him to do so a couple of times before Matt said that the coach had raised his hand in the air, (as if he were taking an oath) as soon as Ron asked the question. But all I heard from HCDB was laughter.

Ron pressed on, insisting that it’s just to difficult for private schools to have good programs now because they can’t get all the walk-ons that the state schools get with their low tuition. Coach started naming private schools that had done well and Ron kept to his point: Dino: Stanford; Ron: “They had a good run for a while”. Dino: Southern California, Notre Dame; Ron: “They cheated.” Dino finally said that the primacy of the state schools “Isn’t absolutely true. I see some advantages. Only 4% of college football players make it in the NFL. That means 96% of them need a college degree. What’s better than a private school degree that speaks for you.” Ron countered that you could look at the top ten and you’ll see 90% of them are state schools”. (actually, it’s 100%, Clemson being a state school, too:
2016 NCAA College Football Polls and Rankings for Week 13 - ESPN )
Babers agreed that “We can’t have 50 walk-ons. It would help. They could allow us to practice with more bodies. One of the problems is that when you have injured players, you can’t practice as well…but we are going to have one of the better teams in the conference.”

Matt noted that “the upshot” of injuries is that “you will have a seasoned team”. DB agreed, saying “Every negative is a positive. We will have a very experienced underbelly of a team.” (Underbelly?) “And they will be lifting weights and getting strong, which has nothing to do with genetics.”

Matt asked about Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi, after describing Pitt’s attempt to find a coach who would stay there. Dino: “he’s a typical defensive coach who was Michigan State’s defensive coordinator – and look at how they are doing without him. Their offensive coordinator, Matt Canada, is an ex-Wisconsin guy, so they like to run downhill….They have tough linemen. We look for linemen in Pennsylvania. They are all coal miner’s sons, tough guys who know how to protect quarterbacks. If you can run the ball and stop the run, you will be playing in December. (Shouldn’t we want to play in January?)

John in Baltimore wanted to know what Washington, Washington State and Colorado had in common. They all had recent struggles, got a new coach and gave him time to build the program. “They are what we will be in a couple of years.” Coach: “John, I already like you.” John said that we need to get the casual fans involved and that Dino should open up the program and allow more contact with the players. Dino: “it’s a first year thing. It’s not the way we’ll proceed afterwards. These are young men recruited by someone else to play in a different system. The seniors were actually recruited by a third coach. I want them to hear one voice – not family, not friends, not fans. We’re doing what we feel is appropriate for the program. We’ll turn them loose when we feel is appropriate and you guys can have at it. And I still like you, John.”

They were watching a college volleyball game on TV between Texas A&M and LSU- because one fo the Texas A&M players is the coach’s daughter Jazzmin. A&M won:
Texas A&M Volleyball defeats LSU on Senior Night, 3-1

Coach talked generally about why players who played a lot under Coach Shafer might not be playing a lot now. “It’s a new style of play. There are new guys getting opportunities to play and we just had to make judgements. I tell the players not to let us make the decision- don’t make it close. We’re human. We make mistakes just like the officials.” (Oops! Will that be a fine?) “But the coaches can see. The players determine their playing time.”

He then introduced his strength and conditioning coach, Sean Edinger, who, like his other assistants, has been with him the last several years. Sean came in after a “parting of the ways” with a previous S&C coach and Sean “has been everything we want him to be. He’s the guy if you want to add muscle and size to people.”

Sean said that he’s “almost always the first contact for incoming kids in the summer”. He’s the “head coach of the off-season”. He’s also the “Assistant Athletic Director for Athletic Performance”. He said “pro body builders come in fat and bench heavy….So many young guys need strength and size to have confidence. Matt suggested that the injuries we have suffered over the last three years might be avoided with proper strength training. SE: “If you are bigger, faster and stronger, you will have fewer injuries. We prepare their bodies for the reps they will have in practice. They’ve got to know their bodies. Nobody will know their own bodies as much as the athlete himself. They need to find out their own potential.”

Coach Baber’s movie pick is celebrating it’s 40th anniversary. He recalls that eh and friends, 9he would have been 15 at the time), wanted to see another movie but it was sold out so they decided to try this boxing movies called “Rocky”. He became such a fan that he’s seen every Rocky movies since and they are full of scenes he vividly remembers, from “Cut me Nickey” in the original to “There ain’t going to be any rematch at the end to “See- he bleeds” in Rocky 4. He didn’t say which scene was his favorite so I’ll pick my favorite.

This was the last Dino Babers Show of the season- there will be no post season wrap-up show.

Just to clarify my question, I asked him if restricting the information, such as all the closed practices and not discussing individual players was a 1st year practice or a regular practice and he clarified that it was a 1st year practice for the reason Steve mentioned above.
Thanks to Steve for writing these up all year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom