The Downfall of Jonny Flynn in NBA... Serious Hip Injury Comes to Light | Syracusefan.com

The Downfall of Jonny Flynn in NBA... Serious Hip Injury Comes to Light

How is this news to anyone? A player like Flynn needs his quickness - it's his primary advantage to offset lack of size. Of course his hip injury took that away. This whole thing is a "Man Lands on Moon" moment.

How is this news to anyone? A player like Flynn needs his quickness - it's his primary advantage to offset lack of size. Of course his hip injury took that away. This whole thing is a "Man Lands on Moon" moment.
There were things in that article that I didn't know! Thanks for posting king!

I have always wondered if Jonny Flynn's hip injury was the result of getting run over by Blake Griffin in the Oklahoma game in the NCAA tournament. He was visibly hurt, and it was obvious to me that the injury had to do with his upper leg or hip. This article tends to indicate that the injury had happened before he got drafted.

At any rate, it is sad. A healthy Jonny Flynn might have had a stellar pro career.

I have always wondered if Jonny Flynn's hip injury was the result of getting run over by Blake Griffin in the Oklahoma game in the NCAA tournament. He was visibly hurt, and it was obvious to me that the injury had to do with his upper leg or hip. This article tends to indicate that the injury had happened before he got drafted.

At any rate, it is sad. A healthy Jonny Flynn might have had a stellar pro career.

Brat, I always thought the same thing. That was probably the single worst defensive decision by a Syracuse player in history. It was late in the half and would have accomplished nothing. I remember yelling at the TV when Flynn did it. If anyone should have tried to take a charge on Blake, it should have been Harris.

All of this further illustrates just how precarious it is getting to the NBA and being able to have any type of lengthy career there. To think of the thousands of kids who play college basketball and how only a miniscule portion of them ever make an NBA roster and of those select few how many go on to play beyond the 1st 2 years. Only the best of the best of the best and in addition they need to stay healthy.

Perhaps it isn't so bad to stay in college long enough to get some semblance of an education or a degree.

Perhaps it isn't so bad to stay in college long enough to get some semblance of an education or a degree.

I've never understood this. Jonny Flynn made $6M with Minnesota alone. Forget about what he made in Melbourne.

Lets just say that getting his SU degree...he'd have to average $150K per year and work for 40 years (roughly 22-62) to make what he made in two years in Minnesota.

Personally, the far better investment decision for JF was to go pro, get a decent money manger, make $6M up front and invest that money conservatively. Better to have $6M in two years than $6M over 40. Whether he invested it or not...he made the right first decision.

44cuse

I've never understood this. Jonny Flynn made $6M with Minnesota alone. Forget about what he made in Melbourne.

Lets just say that getting his SU degree...he'd have to average $150K per year and work for 40 years (roughly 22-62) to make what he made in two years in Minnesota.

Personally, the far better investment decision for JF was to go pro, get a decent money manger, make $6M up front and invest that money conservatively. Better to have $6M in two years than $6M over 40. Whether he invested it or not...he made the right first decision.

44cuse

After taxes, paying his agent and his cost of living, he'd have been lucky to bank $2M of that. But yeah, having the opportunity to bank $2M over 2 years of work was absolutely the right decision. He can go back and pay his way to finish his degree himself and still be way up.

I said it back in 2009--Flynn going to the Minnesota franchise was the absolute worst possible outcome for him. He was an EARLY early entrant, leaving after only two years of playing college ball, and his aptitude as a lead guard wasn't quite where it needed to be--which is a big problem for a smaller PG. He was just getting to where he needed to be in terms of running half court offensive sets and making his teammates better at the end of his collegiate career, without sacrificing what he brought to the table as an impact player. He needed to go to a team running a normal structured offense so that he could continue bringing his skill set up to the level of his explosive athletic ability.

Instead, he went to a team that ran the triangle--a system that deemphasizes the PG running the offense--and his progress / growth as a point guard facilitator stalled.

The injury was unfortunate and unpredictable. Hard to pin that on the Twolves organization, but just more of the same bad luck from a franchise that operates with a perpetual dark cloud over the Target Center.

Yeah, if anything, this is an argument the other way; to get paid as soon as you can because you never know what is going to happen.

Absolutely. That is why I say, year after year, it kills me as a fan of the program when guys leave early. Because obviously if a guy leaves early...he's really freaking good. And I want the team to be awesome.

However, that's not really ever in the best interest of the player. If you can stick for two years, make $3-$6M, either make the next contract or go play overseas...all day long you do that.

It's about making money and you have to go if you can make life changing money.

44cuse

It's frustrating how the NBA pretty much demands these young kids to come in and perform right away when they are paying them so much money. They really need to get the nbdl to the point when each team has a farm team. Cut the rookie salary in half, start them off in the minors like MLB does and let them develop.

The NBA won't do that since they have a free farm system now via the NCAA