The Downside - Boston College II | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Boston College II

SWC75

Bored Historian
(Be;lated post. We used to be able to make a post on this board and then do another immediately but now there is a delay. I had the Downside copied and pasted from WORD but knew I had to wait a couple minutes to post it and decided to look at my alerts. By the time I'd finished reviewing them I'd forgotten that I hadn't posted the Downside and went to bed. Every game has a Downside. I even did one for the National Championship game, although that was an Upside in disguise.)

- BC was a bad team missing three guys and beating them by 13 is a win but not much more. It doesn’t suggest that a memorable ACCT run is in the offing.

- Three starters played well: Hughes, Boeheim and Sidibe. By my formula, (see the last Downside), that means we can compete with an ACC team, (a decent, full strength ACC team). We’ll need 4-5 guys ‘on’ every night to accomplish anything in Greensboro.

- Joe Girard was yanked early in the game for Howard Washington and sat next to Boeheim for several minutes. He was fouled on a three point attempt at 10:32 and made all three free throws. He also made the taco shot with 6:26 left in the second half. That was it for his scoring: 6 points. This is a guy that scored 30 in the NC State game three weeks ago.

- Marek Dolezaj didn’t commit a foul and managed to play 33 minutes after playing only 19 when he fouled out against UNC. But his statistical contribution in those 33 minutes was a tepid 6 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals. Not a terrible game but you would think that he, like Elijah, Buddy and Bourama, should have dominated in this game.

- Jim Boeheim suggested that Quincy Guerrier’s legs are tired. It’s hard to see why as he spends half the games on the bench, (he’s now played 602 minutes in 30 games). From the Wake Forest through the Louisville games, he scored 56 points and had 27 rebounds in four games. Since then, also in four games he’s scored 15 points and grabbed 13 rebounds.

- Brycen Goodine and Howard Washington played 21 minutes and had 1 assist and 2 turnovers, suggesting that they aren’t really an alternative to Joe Girard at the point. It’s amazing how that supposedly crowded position, (Carey, Washington, Girard, Goodine), has thinned out. It’s almost like the Democratic primaries.

- Our three point defense is hard to evaluate right now because it isn’t there. The two worst three point shooting teams in the conference are North Carolina and Boston College, who just hit 30 out of 68 attempts from the arc against us. That’s 44%, a nice Syracuse number but not a nice number for Syracuse if we are going to win any other games this season.

Last edited:
I Just figured you were grading on a curve and eliminating the downside for this game :)

- Jim Boeheim suggested that Quincy Guerrier’s legs are tired.
i found that kind of an odd comment statement as well. but truly when he is in the game he seems to being going double the speed of everyone else. you can put the same amount of miles on your peloton in twenty minutes as you can in 40 all depending on how fast you're pedaling. still i can't believe his legs are gone .

There was a play where QG went baseline to the rim and got little elevation/blocked/foul.
That play seemed to confirm reading here recently that QG's vertical isn't great.
Or his legs are tired!

BC was a bad team missing three guys and beating them by 13 is a win but not much more. It doesn’t suggest that a memorable ACCT run is in the offing.
Weren't we up 23 or so before backups came in?
Don't know what SU should have won by, but thought SU was blowing out BC in 2nd half.
And 3rd straight strong game from Sidibe is encouraging!
Anyway, being positive thinking SU could have some fun in ACCT.

Weren't we up 23 or so before backups came in?
Don't know what SU should have won by, but thought SU was blowing out BC in 2nd half.
And 3rd straight strong game from Sidibe is encouraging!
Anyway, being positive thinking SU could have some fun in ACCT.
Yep. We led by 24 (72-48) with 5:37 left in the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom