The Downside- Boston College | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Boston College

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Jim Boeheim’s got to work on his inspirational speeches. We started the first half 2-9 and the second half 2-11. We were standing and clapping, (some of us, anyway), for 4 minutes and 44 seconds, the longest stretch of the season, in the first half and for 3 minutes and 55 seconds, 9the second longest) to start the second half. All we got in those times were Kaleb Joseph free throws, not exactly a staple of our offense.

- It was that bad because we were not running any semblance of an offense, especially at the beginning of the first half. It was all about getting the ball to the wrong people in the wrong spots.

- It was the Virginia Tech game all over again. They began fouling us with 2 minutes left. We make our free throws, it's a comfortable win. But we keep making and missing, missing and making. We were 8 for 16 in those final two minutes after being 13 for 15 until then. Meanwhile, BC was 9 for 11 over the same two minutes. It's bad enough that we were missing free throws and they were making them. How does the team that is behind get to the line 11 times in two minutes? They were trying to put us on the line. We were- or should have been- trying to keep them off the line. We even fouled a three point shooter, perhaps basketball's biggest sin. And people wonder why JB is such a grouch after the games...

- You can’t say Tyler Roberson and BJ Johnson weren’t consistent. Tyler’s shots were consistently short, (he finally made one late in the game, (he also had a dunk and a lay-up: that’s not my idea of “shots”). BJ is consistently long and to the right. Tyler was also consistent in letting perfectly good passes sail past him, 9with the passer getting credited with the turnover) and BJ made a horrible turnover with 1:04 left where he basically handed the ball to the other team at midcourt.

- For an analysis of Tyler Roberson’s defensive efforts, I refer you to Jim Boeheim’s press conference. I hope his feelings weren’t hurt.

- This team is so fragile. Rakeem Christmas got called for a couple fouls when he was nothing but vertical and the offensive player ploughed into him. It put him on the bench for 17 minutes. We could handle that against this team but we are going to be playing teams that will crush us under similar circumstances- a bunch of them. If we get a whistle-happy referee crew, we could be playing walk-ons against McDonald’s All-Americans.

- We’ve been playing the bottom half of the conference. We’re 5-1 and that’s good, (and necessary), but we haven’t looked like we aren’t one of them. We start playing the contenders now and I can’t say we look like one of them.

Last edited:
Trevor was fairly awful defensively tonight.

I hate to say this but KJ is one of the worst defenders we have ever had at the top of the zone. Constantly out of position, never has his hands up to contest a shot, doesn't stop penetration of opposing guards who go by him into the lane like he's standing still (which shouldn't happen because he has good quickness and athleticism). He has made progress in cutting down turnovers and running the half court offense but defensively ugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom