The Downside- Clemson | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian
- All Marek had to do was make one more foul shot and we’re home free. Even if he missed, the ball might bounce away from the Tigers, taking up the remaining time before they could secure it and get off a good shot. Instead, he missed and the ball went right to Mitchell who got it to DeVoe who launched a 40 footer from the side. I was directly behind it and was pleased to see that it wasn’t going right at the basket. Then I was horrified to see it slam off the backboard and into the net. A Lamizana shot!!! But it took the tour and rimed out. We can’t make anything happen easily.

- Jim Boeheim called a time out 27 seconds into this game, which must be a record. Frank Howard had made a lazy pass that led to a fast break basket. Jim spent the time out discussing the play with Howard, after which Frank had an additional defection option. It was Frank’s last turnover of the game and the team had only 6 more to go.

- Clemson’s defense was as good as ours. Whoever got the ball where we usually begin our drives, (out front, just beyond the arc in an area aobut the size of the free throw lane, he was double teamed and when he got into the paint, he was triple teamed. Brissett got through to make 4 of 9. But Battle and Howard were only 9 for 34 from the field. We’ve got to figure a way to attack from a different angle. At present our guy has to dribble around the front of the defense to try to beat the defenders around the corner. That was hard as Clemson is an athletic team and they were able to stay in front of people. I still feel that, even when we aren’t facing a zone, an intermediate passer would be useful. If a player is confronted with a double team, have Dolezaj on the side for a pass and having him hit guys cutting behind the double-team.

- On that note, One thing we could do a lot better is to give the guy with the ball passing option When the defensive players close on him, the other SU players should ask “Where can I positon myself to give our guy a chance to pass? Instead our guys are statues, just watching the guy try to beat the defense on his own.

- We also do very little to set up screens or pics to give the player with the ball some operating room. Occasionally, we’ll get called for a moving screen. If the screen is moving, it’s not a screen. You didn’t get there quickly enough for it to be one.

- Dolezaj got those 7 first half points but the only points in the second half not from the “Big Three” were 3 free throws by Chukwu and Dolezaj – and it should have bene 4.

- 189 of our 200 minutes were played by the starting 5. How many games in a row can they do that next week?

The camera did angle did not show that last second Clemson shot in its true horror. It rimmed around and then fell to the outside. When I saw the replay it didn’t look as close as it really was. Or - maybe for those of us at the game, time slowed down and ran that last heave frame by frame.

Marek should have made the free throw. Let that be a lesson for him!

Downside, with that win over a top 20 team the fan base actually believes the team can win 2 games in 2 days to possibly get in the turny. Heck I've seen comments thats SU can get on a roll snd win 3! (take the pessistic view and you won't be disappointed)

Downside, with that win over a top 20 team the fan base actually believes the team can win 2 games in 2 days to possibly get in the turny. Heck I've seen comments thats SU can get on a roll snd win 3! (take the pessistic view and you won't be disappointed)

There's nothing wrong with hope. That's why we are sports fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom