The Downside: Clemson | Syracusefan.com

The Downside: Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We started out the year blessed with three centers. All of them were such bits and pieces of centers that they probably added up to less than that but it was more than adequate depth. The disappointing DaJuan Coleman got hurt and ended surgery. Now the steady if unspectacular Baye Moussa Keita has sprain a knee and was seen walking from the Dome in a brace. Now we are left with Rakeem Christmas, who is coming into his own as a force on court but is only one guy with only 5 fouls to use, (and probably three during which he can play effectively). Jerami Grant did his best standing in for Christmas and we didn’t lose ground on Clemson when he was playing center but his statistical productivity was dramatically affected by having to play out of position. He had 8 points and 7 rebounds in the first half, 4 points and 1 rebound in the second. I assume that Chinoso Obokoh is not an option so we may be stuck hoping that Christmas can avoid not just fouling out but foul trouble for the rest of the year unless Keita can recover quickly. This could prove to be a major development. Hopefully it will be only a temporary one.

- Jim Boeheim said in a pregame interview and in the post-game press conference that “When a team wants to play slow, there’s not much you can do about it.” There’s not much we can do about it, apparently. Part of that is that our coach doesn’t like to do something about it. He’s willing to let the other team dictate the type of game it will be. Part of it is that we now lack depth to such an extent that 57-44 games is probably the best way for us to go, anyway.

- I understand that the TV commentators referred to “My Three Sons”, (Roberson, Patterson and Johnson) as “The walk-ons”. They played a total of nine minutes and had two missed shots to show for it.

- Tyler Ennis again seemed in low gear. He gave up a couple of easy lay=ups to pass to others and got one blocked, in part because he seemed unable to elevate. He seemed to be able to move OK other than that but, for whatever, isn’t quite the player he was before he twisted his ankle. He was 3 for 11 from the field tonight.

- Make-up call: CJ seemed to run over a guy to score on the last possession of the first half. No call. In the first possession of the second half, with SU up 31-2 and a chance to take a double figure lead in a slow-paced game, Jerami Grant got position inside with the ball but got smashed to the deck. Clemson got a run–out and a three pointer. Also, the foul, if called, might have been on their big man, Landry Nnoko, who had 2 fouls and later got what would have been a fourth. He might have been less aggressive and Christmas, with whom he was wrestling the whole game might not have gotten into foul trouble himself. But, again no call. But did it really come out even?

I was disappointed on how many offensive rebounds they got especially on how few possessions they had. Too many times McDaniels or others were flying in for dunks and/or putbacks.

With the foul trouble, slow was good for us. My guess is JB thinks we can beat anybody in a slow game because we play smart, protect the ball, and play well when it is close at the end. So far, he has been right every time. The adage "there's a first time for everything" comes to mind, but I will try not to be a pessimist.

JB can't get other teams to quicken their pace unless he wants to run his 7 or 8 man rotation into the ground. Pressing is the only way to do this and it isn't the strong suit of this team. SU played such good defense against Clemson's poor offense that the shot clock was a big factor in the game. This was to the benefit of SU by far.

Good post once again. I always look for your Upside and Downside after very game.

I always look for your Upside and Downside after very game.

This kinds of thread is are exactly why I come here. (The humor's OK too, usually. LOL)

My one additional comment to the topic is that this year the Cuse is quite comfortable running a slow game and has done so over and over. So to me it's nothing new. I recall that in the past few years during tourney time, that aspect (the Orange's half-court ability, or rather lack of it) of their offense was considered a big disadvantage.

For whatever reason, the boys kept up with the Dook in a shoot out and have kept most other teams at least at arm's length.

Last year, if we were down 5-6 points in the second half I'd be worried. This year, not so much.

I was disappointed on how many offensive rebounds they got especially on how few possessions they had. Too many times McDaniels or others were flying in for dunks and/or putbacks.
I think ORs are always troubling and there have been too many cases where it seems that the Cuse doesn't box out at all.

My spin on last night was that it seemed the Purple guys were missing by so much that the Orange guys were always out of position. I can dream anyway.

I think ORs are always troubling and there have been too many cases where it seems that the Cuse doesn't box out at all.

My spin on last night was that it seemed the Purple guys were missing by so much that the Orange guys were always out of position. I can dream anyway.

I don't think we gave up that many ORs in the first half. In the second half I think it was a combination of three things (i) Clemson is a good rebounding team and they rebounded better, (ii) they had some long rebounds that always seem to be a problem for us rebounding from the zone and (iii) we had to move our best rebounder to the center position which is traditionally a difficult position to rebound from in our zone.

I don't think we gave up that many ORs in the first half. In the second half I think it was a combination of three things (i) Clemson is a good rebounding team and they rebounded better, (ii) they had some long rebounds that always seem to be a problem for us rebounding from the zone and (iii) we had to move our best rebounder to the center position which is traditionally a difficult position to rebound from in our zone.

Both teams had 13 offensive rebounds. They had two more defensive rebounds. Not much difference.

Love your upside/downside for both football and basketball. Good knowledge and well expressed. Having said that how about a couple on the GIRL'S basketball? I feel it would be very enlightening

Love your upside/downside for both football and basketball. Good knowledge and well expressed. Having said that how about a couple on the GIRL'S basketball? I feel it would be very enlightening

I would have to watch the games. All power to the ladies but I only have so much time to get into so many things. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom