The Downside- Connecticut | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Connecticut

SWC75

Bored Historian
- On December 5th, 2016 Frank Howard played against Connecticut in the Garden and shot 0 for 9, scored 3 points, had 3 assists and 2 turnovers. (He had -6NP). On December 5, 2017 in the Garden against Connecticut Frank was 1 for 10 from the field, scored 5 points and had 5 assists and 9 turnovers. (-5NP). He had a guy in his face the whole game and never figured out how to get by him. I think we was physically worn down from being pressure don every possession. Other teams will see that one tape.

- I hate watching leads shrink. Last year in this game we had a 37-26 lead with 13 minutes to go and lost 50-52. This year we were up 37-20 with 3:04 to go in the first half. The rest of the half was 3-9 as we missed 3 shots, had 2 turnovers and fouled them four times, letting them score 6 points from the foul line with the clock stopped. Then after an 8 point run by Battle, we were up 56-40 with 12:08 to go and watched Connecticut go on a 12-21 run to get within 7 before we held on to win. We went nearly 6 minutes without a field goal, going 0 for 5 with 3 turnovers while giving up 3 three pointers to a bad shooting team.

- We just don’t have enough firepower. Tyus Battle was 3 for 8 from the arc and the rest of the team was 1 for 8 and that was a shot by Moyer that JB said we will never see again. Three guys scored 56 of our 72 points. We’ve got too many non-scorers in the rotation and a point guard who can score and pass but isn’t really a good ball-handler and who doesn’t have good instincts for the game. This team is going to have a lot of painful-to-watch stretches. There’s going to be a lot of ugly wins this year and some ugly losses to go with them

- He had a guy in his face the whole game and never figured out how to get by him. I think we was physically worn down from being pressure don every possession. Other teams will see that one tape.

You hit the nail on the head. It reminded me of how teams defended our guards at times last year. Get in their shorts and make them uncomfortable with tight D.

It really bothered Frank both from the perspective that he had trouble executing against the pressure and he appeared to have trouble dealing mentally with the defensive attention he was getting. You could kind of see him get frustrated which led to additional turnovers, forced shots and generally poor decisions.

Frank has his limitations as a PG, and the remedy is the perimeter help this team has in Battle & Brissett. We have had the quality of perimeter help for the PG in past years -- Andy Rautins & Wes Johnson would be the prime example.

Again, plenty of times Frank was unmolested bringing the ball up. They weren’t in his shorts like a Pitino or Huggins team. Sure, certain times he was being pressured or face guarded but he had plenty of unforced turnovers. Personally, I think his handle is too shaky and he isn’t overly quick. He’s a long strider who plays with only one speed/pace. He also hesitates and stalls too much. Will be interesting to see how he responds from this.

I'll tell you one more 'downside' -

I was there last night and at the SU/UConn game last year at MSG. Both games and especially last night - UConn was far more representative in the crowd than SU was.

Many more Husky supporters than SU fans. Last year maybe 60-40 UConn, I'd say last night either 65-35 or even 70-30 UConn. I hate that. Syracuse used to own MSG. Whats going on?

The only saving grace is that it seems the two programs are going in opposite directions so this attendance trend will most likely not stay on this course. Seriously though Orange Nation - get your act together, its MSG! Show up!

I was at MSG last year, and it seemed about 50-50, but maybe 60-4o in favor of UConn is more accurate. But what annoyed me last year is that there was no SU band or student section, whereas UConn had both the band and a section of students. That made the SU fan areas a lot less loud and rowdy, whereas UConn had all sorts of chants and rowdiness going on. Why isn’t SU facilitating the band and some buses of students to go down to NYC for the game? Storrs is 3 hours from New York and Syracuse is 4-4.5 hours, not a huge difference.

I was at MSG last year, and it seemed about 50-50, but maybe 60-4o in favor of UConn is more accurate. But what annoyed me last year is that there was no SU band or student section, whereas UConn had both the band and a section of students. That made the SU fan areas a lot less loud and rowdy, whereas UConn had all sorts of chants and rowdiness going on. Why isn’t SU facilitating the band and some buses of students to go down to NYC for the game? Storrs is 3 hours from New York and Syracuse is 4-4.5 hours, not a huge difference.

I heard them mention that Schools were in the middle of exams. Maybe that’s a reason?

Frank has his limitations as a PG, and the remedy is the perimeter help this team has in Battle & Brissett. We have had the quality of perimeter help for the PG in past years -- Andy Rautins & Wes Johnson would be the prime example.

But battle and brisset are not nearly the shooters wes and Andy were. Johnson and rautins were elite level NCAA shooters. Battle is fine but many steps below the 09-10 guys. And brisset is not good. (Frank is somewhere between the two.)

This is a big structural problem with this team that probably doesn't have a solution this year. And it is going to exacerbate other weaknesses.

I was there last night and at the SU/UConn game last year at MSG. Both games and especially last night - UConn was far more representative in the crowd than SU was.

Many more Husky supporters than SU fans. Last year maybe 60-40 UConn, I'd say last night either 65-35 or even 70-30 UConn. I hate that. Syracuse used to own MSG. Whats going on?

The only saving grace is that it seems the two programs are going in opposite directions so this attendance trend will most likely not stay on this course. Seriously though Orange Nation - get your act together, its MSG! Show up!
I know someone from DC who was there. But yes, it is a shame. It’s because, in part, of the break up of the BE. Just my guess. Not sure why that matters but it seems the glitz is gone.

It was their super bowl

was

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom