The Downside - Connecticut | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Connecticut

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Those two Connecticut scores were too quick and easy. It was unnerving. Fortunately we answered an kept control of the game but we can’t afford such breakdowns in our upcoming games.

- The second team defense looks good but the second team offense was a big comedown from the first team. A 22 yard pass to former QB Dan Villari keys the 43 yard first drive but we only got three yards on the second drive and -3 on the third. Yes, we had already wrapped the game up but there still seemed to be a big drop-offence you got past our starters on offense. Shrader and Tucker threw, caught or carried the ball on 63 of our 77 plays and gained 463 of our 509 yards. Stay healthy guys!

For me the Downside

-The OL
We did not run the ball well against what is barely an FBS team. Shrader was also under a ton of pressure. So what happens against a decent team? Against Louisville they were decent enough blocking but hurt us with all those penalties. I think we need to be a bit worried about this group.

-Shrader's outside throws
People missed the boat last season on what Shrader was capable of as a passer. You could see he had it in him. His biggest struggles last year were the outside and sideline throws. Since our O didn't use the middle of the field it was a great combo. He has had some problems in both games this year with these throws as well. The ball has either been low where the WR has to go to the ground, or it has floated out there. If this continues, teams will try to take the middle of the field away. This is nit picking but it could make the difference from 7-6 to 10-3.

-Big plays allowed on D
At the end of the day all that matters is points conceded. But we have given up a lot of big plays in the first 2 games. Can't have that happen when we play against decent Os.

-How good are the Outside WRs?
First game they had drops. They were great yesterday. So which are they. We need them to perform if we are going to be a 10 W team. I don't trust them yet. Need to see it against a decent team.

For me the Downside

-The OL
We did not run the ball well against what is barely an FBS team. Shrader was also under a ton of pressure. So what happens against a decent team? Against Louisville they were decent enough blocking but hurt us with all those penalties. I think we need to be a bit worried about this group.

People missed the boat last season on what Shrader was capable of as a passer. You could see he had it in him. His biggest struggles last year were the outside and sideline throws. Since our O didn't use the middle of the field it was a great combo. He has had some problems in both games this year with these throws as well. The ball has either been low where the WR has to go to the ground, or it has floated out there. If this continues, teams will try to take the middle of the field away. This is nit picking but it could make the difference from 7-6 to 10-3.

-Big plays allowed on D
At the end of the day all that matters is points conceded. But we have given up a lot of big plays in the first 2 games. Can't have that happen when we play against decent Os.

First game they had drops. They were great yesterday. So which are they. We need them to perform if we are going to be a 10 W team. I don't trust them yet. Need to see it against a decent team.
They’ve given up “a lot” of big plays? I believe it’s been 4 total plays over 20 yards?

They’ve given up “a lot” of big plays? I believe it’s been 4 total plays over 20 yards?

Defiantly more than 4 over 20. Maybe 4 over 25. Haven't checked.

We have given up what I would consider 5 big plays in 2 games against teams that aren't that good. And almost a 6th if not for a great play by Williams. All 3 of the TDs this year have been big plays.

I didn't watch the game - but why did Wax only have two tackles?
Did UConn completely avoid him?

Last season against FBS teams, which were trying to take him away, Tucker averaged 5.85 ypc. Against P5 it was 5.76 ypc. This year those numbers are 4.42 ypc and 4.76 ypc.

All that matters is how many ppg the O puts up. But can we keep the scoring up without good rushing numbers?

For me the Downside

-The OL

-Big plays allowed on D

Well, we had 200 yards rushing, 309 passing and scored, essentially the first 8 times we had the ball. Shrader was 20 for 24 and "the WR were great".

It's very difficult to measure how much an opposing team is focusing on stopping Tucker, and how much that focus is actually benefiting the SU offense. Tucker has not had a monster game yet (good games, but not great games), yet SU's O has been outstanding in the first two tilts, with Schader putting up Heisman-esque numbers.

Defiantly more than 4 over 20. Maybe 4 over 25. Haven't checked.

We have given up what I would consider 5 big plays in 2 games against teams that aren't that good. And almost a 6th if not for a great play by Williams. All 3 of the TDs this year have been big plays.
It’s an over reaction. And why does the defense get dinged despite making a good play?

If not for a bad bite on a fake from Barron UConn would’ve only had 1 big play, does it work both ways or only when you’re complaining about a team that gave up less than 250 yards of offense?

Clemson gave up almost 400 yards of offense to furman and 2 big plays. I don’t think I’d take the performance and say clemsons D is susceptible to numerous big plays, especially when they weren’t pressing, just like Syracuse wasn’t and shouldn’t have been.

The point is that we still have things to prove and it is thus too early to anoint our superiority. There are cracks whose severity is as yet unknown. I am looking forward to the Boilermaker boys.

It’s an over reaction. And why does the defense get dinged despite making a good play?

If not for a bad bite on a fake from Barron UConn would’ve only had 1 big play, does it work both ways or only when you’re complaining about a team that gave up less than 250 yards of offense?

Clemson gave up almost 400 yards of offense to furman and 2 big plays. I don’t think I’d take the performance and say clemsons D is susceptible to numerous big plays, especially when they weren’t pressing, just like Syracuse wasn’t and shouldn’t have been.

Both UConn TDs were big plays. Louisville had one run and 2 pass big plays. I mention the Williams INT because a WR like Ish or AET makes that play for a TD.

I am not complaining about the D, way to overreact. The big plays are something to keep an eye on when we play better Os. Like I previously said all that matters is PPG.

Edit

It is early but to put some stats to it...

Runs over
10 yards SU is 67th
20 yards SU is 53rd

Passing over
40 yards SU is 108th
30 yards SU is 70th

Again it is early so it is hard to compare. Also the D has been great the other 125 plays or so. That is what matters most. But a better O will perform better those 125 plays and they are more likely to have a big play happen.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom