The Downside - Duke III | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Duke III

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We had a chance to pull off a second historical upset in what has been a frustrating season and it slipped away. We had too many early turnovers and couldn’t make the big shots we needed down the stretch.

- Zion Williamson was just a man among boys. Matt Park compared him to the playground bully who plays with the little kids so he can win all the time. He won’t be playing with the little kids for long. Tonight he set an ACC tournament record by going 13 for 13. We had nobody who could guard him at all. (And if anybody tried the refs blew the whistle- Williamson doesn’t even need their help).

- I listened to Matt Park and Jimmy Satalin on local radio. They spent the whole game bemoaning that our players didn’t have the strength to make a stop, make a basket through one of the many uncalled fouls or get a tough rebound. I get sick of this. Can’t we recruit somebody with some girth and muscle? Don’t we have a weight room and a training table?

- Duke had 18 turnovers but we had 17 of our own and weak handles was the problem. We get so many balls tipped away or simply lose the dribble on some of them. It was just a bunch of shooters out there with no point guard. Recruit a point guard!

- I don’t have the SU box score that shows this stuff, but fast break points had to have been ugly. Almost every SU turnover resulted in a fast break and most of them were successful.

- One guy who did not come up big was Elijah Hughes who scored 8 points on 2 for 8 shooting. He never seemed able to get by his defender.

- Paschal Chukwu must not being using a mouth wash. He keeps getting called for things that could only have been bad breath because there was little or no contact.

- We missed 9 free throws. Fortunately they did, too. Still…

- A 2-17 run in the first half put us in the hole we crawled out of. We finally got it tied at 46 with 12:48 left. It was 26-38 after that. We gave up 46 points in 27 minutes and 38 more in the last 13 minutes. We may have just gotten tired.

- Frank Howard’s bush league play or sticking his foot out and tripping Williamson puts us in a bad light and JB’s refusal to admit he did that in the presser after he said that he’d looked at the taped puts us in a worse light.

- But Duke is the last school that should be whining about tripping.

I think our run to end the first half got cut off by halftime. Given another couple of minutes we may have been tied or go ahead. And we needed a lead with a cushion to survive Zion tonight

Great game by Howard but his turnover with SU down 3 in the 2nd half was inexcusable. Gets a rebound at the foul line and starts to run up court surrounded by Duke players and immediately loses the ball. 3 point play by Duke and SU never gets closer.

Great game by Howard but his turnover with SU down 3 in the 2nd half was inexcusable. Gets a rebound at the foul line and starts to run up court surrounded by Duke players and immediately loses the ball. 3 point play by Duke and SU never gets closer.
That was a big play and I thought he got fouled. That said we need to take care of the ball much better.

Our best teams have a 3 that can rebound on the weak side. Melo, Wes, Grant/CJ. Hughes was willing last night he was just outsized.

Elijah got by his defender at least twice. Once he was fouled, but he should have finished for an and one, and the other time he was somehow stripped from behind. Two potential easy buckets that did not happen.

Our best teams have a 3 that can rebound on the weak side. Melo, Wes, Grant/CJ. Hughes was willing last night he was just outsized.
Most of the linemen in the NFL are outsized by Williamson. I wish he had rested his knee one more night.

i was observing him (zion) on the foul line standing next to sidibe. now sid is a big well conditioned athlete but i'd estimate zion was nearly twice as wide thru the torso. that's pure power we haven't seen in a while.
and he's only a frosh to boot. scary.

i was observing him (zion) on the foul line standing next to sidibe. now sid is a big well conditioned athlete but i'd estimate zion was nearly twice as wide thru the torso. that's pure power we haven't seen in a while.
and he's only a frosh to boot. scary.
I had the same thought! “Zion is twice the size of Sidibe.” His girth is incredible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom