The Downside - Duke | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Duke

SWC75

Bored Historian
- That game gave me the sort of sick-to-my-stomach feeling that the Maryland and BC games did last year. I had the illusion that we had a strong defense, good kicking game and that the offense now had a running game so we were rounding into a pretty good football team. We found out today that we aren’t a very good football team.

- We weren’t mentally ready to play this game and were no match for a very determined Duke team. The reason why we had all those injuries was that Duke was initiated contact and we were on the receiving end. We had 2 tackles for a loss. They had 9, including 6 sacks. Then there were all the drops. There was also a lot of confusion on the Syracuse side with players pointing to where other players were supposed to be before the play and then doing it again after the play. This with two weeks to get ready for a team that played last week.

- Looking at all the injured players, I wonder how many other games we lost today: Tommy DeVito, Sean Tucker, Geoff Cantin-Arku, Mikel Jones, Ja’Had Carter, Trill Williams and Rob Hanna were all helped off the field at various times. DeVito was on crutches at games end. We already had lost Andre Cisco, Jawhar Jordan, Eric Coley and Tyrel Richards. Our depth is improving but we can’t afford to lose all these people. Their young replacements got exposed today.

- I thought we had a good defense and we wanted the offense to get going not match it. Instead, the defense has declined to the level of the offense. Actually, we came into this game giving up 419 yards per contest. With this game, that’s up to 476. Is that good defense?

- Duke out-rushed us 28-363. That’s why being +4 in turnovers didn’t help us. They had 36 first downs to our 11. They ran 102 plays to our 52. They used our own plan of keeping the tempo going to wear out the defense against us. For the season we had had 50 first downs. The opposition has 105. That’s how you control the tempo – and the game.

- Our problem is that we are occasionally great, (long passes and takeovers), but it’s the opposition that is consistently good, (all those yards and first downs). Our offense doesn’t even seem geared to consistency. We throw long down the sidelines. That gives us the occasional big play and opens up the shorter pass but we didn’t take advent age of that until the fourth quarter. We never throw over the middle. We beat Georgia Tech by establishing the running game but made no attempt to do so here. Dino said in his presser that you can win games by coming out firing, as Mike Leach’s teams do, “but you’ve got to be very efficient”. We aren’t. We need to focus more on making first downs.

- So the ball rolls back down the hill again. I’m getting tired of looking at the clock and waiting for it to go to 00:00.

- Duke was 0-4 but it didn’t matter. Liberty beat Louisiana 40-7 to go to 4-0. Will that matter?

I also immediately noticed lack of commitment to the running game in the first half. The play calling has no rhythm to it. And our WRs have been dropping balls all year, time to put someone else out there who wants to win. Elmore. Tight ends. Backup qbs. Anyone. This crew of WR don’t got it

Maybe “not mentally ready” or Duke being determined had some role, but the simple fact is Duke was physically stronger. They crushed our run game; they routinely got big yards on their running plays.

Maybe “not mentally ready” or Duke being determined had some role, but the simple fact is Duke was physically stronger. They crushed our run game; they routinely got big yards on their running plays.

We have three down linemen and many freshmen behind them trying to stop them. The kids will get stronger as they mature but we may always be vulnerable to a power running game in the 3-3-5.

Last edited:
We have three down linemen and many freshmen behind them trying to stop them. The kids will get strogner as they matrue but we may always be vulnerable to a power running game in the 3-3-5.
We need two of the front 3 to have Slaton size and the MLB has to be an effective run stopper. I agree the young LBs will get there (not this year). Need to go the juco or transfer route to add size at NT. There isn’t much size on the roster.

We need two of the front 3 to have Slaton size and the MLB has to be an effective run stopper. I agree the young LBs will get there (not this year). Need to go the juco or transfer route to add size at NT. There isn’t much size on the roster.
2 guys like Slayton, and Steven Clark, and you stuff most teams.

2 guys like Slayton, and Steven Clark, and you stuff most teams.

In other words, bring on the elephants and the hippos. Enough with the slot receivers and D-backs.

In other words, bring on the elephants and the hippos. Enough with the slot receivers and D-backs.
Steven, Ben used to go out to find the big farm boys who were throwing bales of hay. He figured they made good lineman. Maury Youmans was one of them.

- That game gave me the sort of sick-to-my-stomach feeling that the Maryland and BC games did last year. I had the illusion that we had a strong defense, good kicking game and that the offense now had a running game so we were rounding into a pretty good football team. We found out today that we aren’t a very good football team.

- We weren’t mentally ready to play this game and were no match for a very determined Duke team. The reason why we had all those injuries was that Duke was initiated contact and we were on the receiving end. We had 2 tackles for a loss. They had 9, including 6 sacks. Then there were all the drops. There was also a lot of confusion on the Syracuse side with players pointing to where other players were supposed to be before the play and then doing it again after the play. This with two weeks to get ready for a team that played last week.

- Looking at all the injured players, I wonder how many other games we lost today: Tommy DeVito, Sean Tucker, Geoff Cantin-Arku, Mikel Jones, Ja’Had Carter, Trill Williams and Rob Hanna were all helped off the field at various times. DeVito was on crutches at games end. We already had lost Andre Cisco, Jawhar Jordan, Eric Coley and Tyrel Richards. Our depth is improving but we can’t afford to lose all these people. Their young replacements got exposed today.

- I thought we had a good defense and we wanted the offense to get going not match it. Instead, the defense has declined to the level of the offense. Actually, we came into this game giving up 419 yards per contest. With this game, that’s up to 476. Is that good defense?

- Duke out-rushed us 28-363. That’s why being +4 in turnovers didn’t help us. They had 36 first downs to our 11. They ran 102 plays to our 52. They used our own plan of keeping the tempo going to wear out the defense against us. For the season we had had 50 first downs. The opposition has 105. That’s how you control the tempo – and the game.

- Our problem is that we are occasionally great, (long passes and takeovers), but it’s the opposition that is consistently good, (all those yards and first downs). Our offense doesn’t even seem geared to consistency. We throw long down the sidelines. That gives us the occasional big play and opens up the shorter pass but we didn’t take advent age of that until the fourth quarter. We never throw over the middle. We beat Georgia Tech by establishing the running game but made no attempt to do so here. Dino said in his presser that you can win games by coming out firing, as Mike Leach’s teams do, “but you’ve got to be very efficient”. We aren’t. We need to focus more on making first downs.

- So the ball rolls back down the hill again. I’m getting tired of looking at the clock and waiting for it to go to 00:00.

- Duke was 0-4 but it didn’t matter. Liberty beat Louisiana 40-7 to go to 4-0. Will that matter?
I agree with everything but they switched to zone on that drive so the short passes were easy . They play man that’s why the deep shots

I agree with everything but they switched to zone on that drive so the short passes were easy . They play man that’s why the deep shots

I suspect the deep shots caused them to switch to the zone. But zones have seams. We've seen plenty of teams throw effectively into those seams.

Steven, Ben used to go out to find the big farm boys who were throwing bales of hay. He figured they made good lineman. Maury Youmans was one of them.

"Ask for directions. If they point with their hand, drive on. If they point with the plow..."

No way to spin this one. It's a bad loss to one of the worst teams in the conference. They weren't 0-4 by mistake coming into Saturday's game. We've seen the defensive line take a step back. Don't know if it's because of the 3-3-5 scheme which now allows the lineman upfront to double if needed, but they didn't get any pressure on Brice outside of the blind side hit that led to a fumble recovery. SU looked like the less physical team out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom