The Downside- Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- There aren’t wins, losses and valiant efforts. We have now lost 4 games in a row, tying the longest streak in JB’s history and every goal we have for the season, including the continuance of the winning season streak, seems in jeopardy.

- I realize that coaches “want the ball in the hands of their best player” in crunch time. But taking that to an extreme simply allows the defense to completely focus on one guy. Tyus Battle scored a career high 37 points, making many difficult shots in a heroic effort. But he was 11 for 27 from the field, including 6 for 18 inside the arc. Constant iso-ball also wears your star out. Tyus was 1 for 4 in the overtimes with 2 turnovers, (he did sink six free throws). I know we had our little used back-up point guard in there but it might help Battle if he didn’t have to initiate each play.

- Oshae Brissett was 3 for 13 from the field and is now 21 for 70 from the field (30.0%) in ACC games. His drives to the basket just aren’t working against the big boys.

- We made their big men even better by allowing them to influence our shots more than was necessary, at least in the first half. We were just flipping the ball at the basket instead of making the defenders work- and foul. We turned it around in the second half but we shouldn’t have allowed them to put us in a hole to begin with.

- 7-4 Christ Koumadje even made Paschal Chukwu look small. A couple time Paschal tied to score against him and I thought it was Brissett because of the size differential. The big guy had his career game against us with 23 points on 9 for 14 shooting and also made 5 free throws, each of which was an upset.

- We got out-rebounded 43-50 and also had four more turnovers, 19-15. The rebounding wasn’t due to Koumadje, (who we called Jumanji in the chat room): he only had 8 to Chukwu’s 11. It was 6-5 Trent Forrest who hurt us the most with 11 boards.

- We had another horrendous assist to turnover ratio: 8 to 19, although Frank Howard rebounded from a 1-7 game by going 5-4. Yes, I know we fanatically drive to the basket. But 8 assists in 50 minutes? And 19 turnovers? Battle was 0-5 and Brissett 0-4.

- Marek Dolezaji seems physically over-matched by the ACC. All those deft little moves he made in the pre-conference season have vanished. He does the small things well but you need to do big things in the ACC.

- There aren’t wins, losses and valiant efforts. We have now lost 4 games in a row, tying the longest streak in JB’s history and every goal we have for the season, including the continuance of the winning season streak, seems in jeopardy.

- I realize that coaches “want the ball in the hands of their best player” in crunch time. But taking that to an extreme simply allows the defense to completely focus on one guy. Tyus Battle scored a career high 37 points, making many difficult shots in a heroic effort. But he was 11 for 27 from the field, including 6 for 18 inside the arc. Constant iso-ball also wears your star out. Tyus was 1 for 4 in the overtimes with 2 turnovers, (he did sink six free throws). I know we had our little used back-up point guard in there but it might help Battle if he didn’t have to initiate each play.

- Oshae Brissett was 3 for 13 from the field and is now 21 for 70 from the field (30.0%) in ACC games. His drives to the basket just aren’t working against the big boys.

- We made their big men even better by allowing them to influence our shots more than was necessary, at least in the first half. We were just flipping the ball at the basket instead of making the defenders work- and foul. We turned it around in the second half but we shouldn’t have allowed them to put us in a hole to begin with.

- 7-4 Christ Koumadje even made Paschal Chukwu look small. A couple time Paschal tied to score against him and I thought it was Brissett because of the size differential. The big guy had his career game against us with 23 points on 9 for 14 shooting and also made 5 free throws, each of which was an upset.

- We got out-rebounded 43-50 and also had four more turnovers, 19-15. The rebounding wasn’t due to Koumadje, (who we called Jumanji in the chat room): he only had 8 to Chukwu’s 11. It was 6-5 Trent Forrest who hurt us the most with 11 boards.

- We had another horrendous assist to turnover ratio: 8 to 19, although Frank Howard rebounded from a 1-7 game by going 5-4. Yes, I know we fanatically drive to the basket. But 8 assists in 50 minutes? And 19 turnovers? Battle was 0-5 and Brissett 0-4.

- Marek Dolezaji seems physically over-matched by the ACC. All those deft little moves he made in the pre-conference season have vanished. He does the small things well but you need to do big things in the ACC.

Great observations of course. Marek is withering in league play. He's been awful on both ends.

One other thing not mentioned. Oshae is awful on defense. Plays way too high. His offense seems non-existent as well. He plays so much smaller than he is. Sometimes it looks like he's afraid to jump.

How many more teams are we going to lose to when they have key players injured? We are now 0-3, failed to take advantage of this. Makes me wonder what happens when we play teams who are at 100% strength.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom