The Downside - Georgia Tech II | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Georgia Tech II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The effort in the first half was better than the effort at Louisville but the results were just as bad because of the shooting. We got off almost the same number of shots, (26 vs. 27) but made barely half as many, (7 vs. 8). Some of it was our shots rolling around and out and their rolling around and in. But there were also times when we’d make good passes and moves to get a makeable shot but the shot itself was a weak effort, a flip, throw or, in one case a Sidibie hook that showed good form but just didn’t get there.

- The officiating was again horrible. There were phantom fouls and make-up calls. They called two early moving screens on SU. That gets called once or twice a season. In the late going they suddenly realized they hadn’t fouled out Sidibe and called 5 quick fouls on him to get him out of there. Most of them seemed to have been called just because he was Sidibie. But the weirdest situation came when the shot clock didn’t start. The two teams had played 4-5 second of offense before it was noticed. After several minutes, the officials had the shot clock reset to 17 seconds, which was ridiculous. Tech wound up with the only shot clock violation of the game.

- At 11:57 of the first half , down 9-17, JB did a strange thing, subbing Jesse Edwards, Brycen Goodine and Howard Washington for Bourama Sidibe, Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard. Jimmy Satalin wondered who was going to score for us. Those guys played for the next four minutes and scored 2 points between them before Jim went back to his starting lineup. When asked about it in the post-game presser, Jim denied that it was done to send a message to his starters: “We weren’t playing and we had to see if something would change. Somebody might help us or something.” Was that line-up supposed to turn the game around? What was really interesting is that he said nothing to Bourama, Buddy and Joe. His assistants may have talked to them. But no information seemed to be exchanged between the players and their head coach. Hmmmmm…

- Moses Wright was the umpteenth opposing player to have a career day against us. He had never scored more than 25 points in a game before tonight and he got 33 – on 14 for 17 shooting tonight. He got easily in the paint, got the ball easily and scored easily.

- With 1:25 left, Elizjah Hughes hit a free throw to put us up 72-62. Closing it out should be a cinch. Joe Girard, instead of defending aggressively, steps back as if to dare Bubba Parham to hit a three pointer, (he had been 0 for 2 and was 31% on the year). Parham nailed it and it was 72-65 at 1:18. JB called a time out and tore into Joe as he approached the bench and for much of the time out, barking with his mouth and gesturing with his finger. If Joe needed an operation Jim could have done it using his eyes. WoooEEEE!

Last edited:
- The effort in the first half was better than the effort at Louisville but the results were just as bad because of the shooting. We got off almost the same number of shots, (26 vs. 27) but made barely half as many, (7 vs. 8). Some of it was our shots rolling around and out and their rolling around and in. But there were also times when we’d make good passes and moves to get a makeable shot but the shot itself was a weak effort, a flip, throw or, in one case a Sidibie hook that showed good form but just didn’t get there.

- The officiating was again horrible. There were phantom fouls and make-up calls. They called two early moving screens on SU. That gets called once or twice a season. In the late going they suddenly realized they hadn’t fouled out Sidibe and called 5 quick fouls on him to get him out of there. Most of them seemed to have been called just because he was Sidibie. But the weirdest situation came when the shot clock didn’t start. The two teams had played 4-5 second of offense before it was noticed. After several minutes, the officials had the shot clock reset to 17 seconds, which was ridiculous. Tech wound up with the only shot clock violation of the game.

- At 11:57 of the first half , down 9-17, JB did a strange thing, subbing Jesse Edwards, Brycen Goodine and Howard Washington for Bourama Sidibe, Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard. Jimmy Satalin wondered who was going to score for us. Those guys played for the next four minutes and scored 2 points between them before Jim went back to his starting lineup. When asked about it in the post-game presser, Jim denied that it was done to send a message to his starters: “We weren’t playing and we had to see if something would change. Somebody might help us or something.” Was that line-up supposed to turn the game around? What was really interesting is that he said nothing to Bourama, Buddy and Joe. His assistants may have talked to them. But no information seemed to be exchanged between the players and their head coach. Hmmmmm…

- Moses Wright was the umpteenth opposing player to have a career day against us. He had never scored more than 25 points in a game before tonight and he got 33 – on 14 for 17 shooting tonight. He got easily in the paint, got the ball easily and scored easily.

- With 1:25 left, Elizjah Hughes hit a free throw to put us up 72-62. Closing it out should be a cinch. Joe Girard, instead of defending aggressively, steps back as if to dare Bubba Parham to hit a three pointer, (he had been 0 for 2 and was 31% on the year). Parham nailed it and it was 72-65 at 1:18. JB called a time out and tore into Joe as he approached the bench and for much of the time out, barking with his mouth and gesturing with his finger. If Joe needed an operation Ji m could have done it using his eyes. WoooEEEE!
Yowzers! I guess that was a mighty powerful lesson for Joe.

It truly was horrible again. And its good to mention it, because we gravitate to it after losses for obvious reasons which seems like sour grapes....but it truly is bad, or at least horribly inconsistent every game.

With regard to the shot clock not starting. The ball was inbounded and barely advanced into the front court with no defensive resistance from SU when they blew play dead. As I was watching I was thinking why spend 3 or 4 minutes watching replays trying to figure out how many seconds had elapsed, that would be the perfect situation to call a "do-over." Literally nothing had happened.

It truly was horrible again. And its good to mention it, because we gravitate to it after losses for obvious reasons which seems like sour grapes...but it truly is bad, or at least horribly inconsistent every game.

With regard to the shot clock not starting. The ball was inbounded and barely advanced into the front court with no defensive resistance from SU when they blew play dead. As I was watching I was thinking why spend 3 or 4 minutes watching replays trying to figure out how many seconds had elapsed, that would be the perfect situation to call a "do-over." Literally nothing had happened.
I agree. One thing that bothers me is when officials call a timeout to make a correction why force a team to inbound the ball? Why not let play continue exactly where the ball was picked up? I mean a team could actually turn the ball over because of an offical mistake.

Good call. So weird. I would be happy to see any of those three guys subbed in. But all three at once puts all three in a position to fail. And if it's really punishment for the starters, OK, but that message could be sent more often.

In the case of Girard, I haven't seen a guy take so many plays off since Devendorf and Flynn. He carries himself like he's going to score 50, so it's OK if he forces a shot, dribbles off his leg, or watches on defense. But this is college, and he's not going to score 50. He's skilled and he's an asset, but if there's ever a guy who should spend a little time watching from the bench, he's the one.

- With 1:25 left, Elizjah Hughes hit a free throw to put us up 72-62. Closing it out should be a cinch. Joe Girard, instead of defending aggressively, steps back as if to dare Bubba Parham to hit a three pointer, (he had been 0 for 2 and was 31% on the year). Parham nailed it and it was 72-65 at 1:18. JB called a time out and tore into Joe as he approached the bench and for much of the time out, barking with his mouth and gesturing with his finger. If Joe needed an operation Jim could have done it using his eyes. WoooEEEE!
The substitutions in the 1st half were bizarre. I want HCJB to play more people at times but it was a weird lineup for 3 or 4 minutes. In all honesty Sidibe actually played maybe his 4th best game yesterday and had some god awful fouls called on him whem he went straight up for rebounds.

At multiple times in each of the last 3 games ( excluding Louisville) it has seemed as if the refs are point shaving for other team. Terrible terrible terrible calls against us. Weird

hard to complain about the officiating in a downside post when we come out on the plus side again.
(fouls 20/26 and ft attempts 36/26 )

hard to complain about the officiating in a downside post when we come out on the plus side again.
(fouls 20/26 and ft attempts 36/26 )

I was complaining about the quality, not the quantity and pointed out that the biggest blunder favored us at Tech's expense.

you're retired right ? why don't you try it ? i myself have never done it but guessing it's not an easy job .

(btw steve i say this somewhat as a compliment. i consider you to be some what objective. i have sat in the chat room with many a poster here who would call the game 1-44) .)

you're retired right ? why don't you try it ? i myself have never done it but guessing it's not an easy job .

(btw steve i say this somewhat as a compliment. i consider you to be some what objective. i have sat in the chat room with many a poster here who would call the game 1-44) .)

I was not saying the job was easy or that I would be good at it. But it can certainly be done better than it was yesterday.

How good would you be at coaching the team?

give me 44 years i'll give you 4 titles. if not at the end of that contract you get your money back.

That's still half as many as Igor would have won.

Last edited:
If you invest your salary properly all those years, it would be the easiest refund you ever had to pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom