The Downside- Georgia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Georgia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I had steeled myself by saying that we were unlikely to sweep these last three games or win the ACT and get to the NCAAs so that anything positive that happens from here on in should just be enjoyed for itself: at least we continued the streak. It didn’t help. The opening minutes were still painful to watch. When we got back in it, that fired my imagination that great things might yet happen and then the game got away from us again in the second half. It was just another disappointing Saturday in a school year full of them.

- We got out-rebounded by 5, which we usually can overcome with takeovers but we were -1 in that stat, too, thanks to some loose handles and bad passes. And too many of those turnovers resulted in fast breaks at the other end. We were horrible at getting back to cover the break.

- In the early going our offense consisted just of contested three pointers and determined drives to the basket followed by weak shots and defensive rebounds. Later we started to do things to create open jump shots: screens and picks, the kind of things you can get from an actual center. We also started to dish off of our drives for lay-ups and dunks. Where has that been all season?

- On the Pat front: Kadary Richmond played 26 minutes and Jesse Edwards played 23. Kadary had 6 assists and helped trigger the 11-0 first half run that got us back int the game but was a painful 0 for 5 from the field, all of them lay-ups - and we needed every one of them. Jesse showed he could do some things but he has Trump’s hands. At least half a dozen rebounds came right into his hands but he bobbled them and Tech wound up with them – and we needed every one of them, too.

- Buddy Boeheim got his numbers in garbage time but this was one of his worst games. He just couldn’t do anything. He wound up 1 for 5 from three and his drives to the basket wound up in shots that he doesn’t make because he’s not strong enough to shoot in traffic.

- Joe Girard had a nice run late in the first half that helped get us the lead but he did little right in the second half, in which he scored 2 points with no assists and no steals.

- Allen Griffin had a first half that suggested that we were going to see a legendary, John Gillon-type game. Then he took himself out of the game to go to the bathroom, (Matt Park said it wasn’t the first time he’d done that this year), and he seemed to leave his game in the bathroom. He scored 20 in the first half, 6 in the second and the last couple of baskets were in garbage time. It reminded me of Thurman Thomas not being ready for the second half of Super Bowl 28, (after the Bills had taken the halftime lead on the Cowboys) because he had forgotten his helmet.

- One big reason why Buddy Boeheim had such a tough time of it in the first half and Alan Griffin cooled off so much in the second half was Tguard Jose Alvarado, who lived in the trunks of whoever he was assigned to guard. He eventually fouled out on what Matt Park and Jimmy Satalin reckoned was at least his 12th foul but, if the refs aren’t going to call it, it’s great defense.

- MAREK!…..MAREK!! Where are you? 10 minutes, 5 fouls, 4 turnovers 3 rebounds, and 2 points on the only shot he got off. We can’t do it without you, Marek

- Quincy Guerrier, who once seemed on his way to an All-America season, has totally lost his mojo. At 6-7 but our best inside scorer, he’s been roofed so many times, he’s lost his confidence and even his concentration. He let one pass go right by him, turned to retrieve it and stepped on the out of bounds line.

- Moses Wright had a good time, racking up 31 points, mostly on dunks where he hung on the rim like he was a trapeze act to celebrate. (Isn’t that illegal?) He also had 16 rebounds. Just another big having a career day against us.

- Every time Jordan Usher dribbled through the SU defense, all I could think of was “The Fall of the House of Usher”, except it was the House of Orange. Michael Devoe did the same thing but I couldn’t think of a literary allusion for him. (Robinson Crusoe?)

- Shoulda coulda woulda. The NCAA committee doesn’t car how many games you should have won or how many fouls should have been called on the other team. They aren't into 'belief without evidence'. Just win, baby. We didn’t.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom