The Downside- Hampton | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Hampton

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Years ago I saw that our opponent in the first round of the NCAAs was a team that had lost to Georgia, the only really good team they had played by more than 50 points. I felt that any team Georgia could beat by 50 points was no threat to us. So I wasn’t worried- about Richmond. Since then I’ve never assumed that another team’s success against one of our opponents indicated our task would be easy. So when Iowa crushed Hampton, 90-56, I knew that the score of our game against Hampton was still 0-0. And with 9:12 left in the game it was only 40-45. We had to gut this one out, which was probably more useful than another blow-out but was also an object lesson about the transitive property of college basketball.

- Still it’s interesting to look at Iowa’s box score vs. Hampton and compare it to ours. We might be playing them on Friday, (in the championship game or the consolation game- I think that’s a 50% chance). Iowa shot 47.5% from the field, 50% inside the arc and 42.9% from three point range. They got to the line 33 times and made 69.7%. Hampton shot 33.9% from the field, 39% inside the arc and 22.2% from three point range. They got to the line 17 times and made 70.6%. We shot 41.5% from the field, 48.6% inside the arc and 27.8% from three point range. We got to the line 23 times and made 69.6%. Hampton shot 37.7% from the field, 47.1% inside the arc and 21.1% from three point range. They got to the line 8 times and made 37.5%. The big differences there are that we were worse than Iowa from three point range, Hampton shot better inside the arc against us and the refs called fewer fouls in our game. Iowa out-rebounded the Pirates 48-32. We did by only 38-32. Iowa had 14 turnovers to 17. We had 10- to 15. Fouls were 14-25 in the Iowa game, 13-22 in ours. So Iowa rebounded better than we did. To beat them we’ll need to shoot it better from outside, defend better form inside and rebound better.

- There were at elast times when the (radio) commentators made comparisons between something Kaleb Joseph did and what Tyler Ennis would have done. Kaleb is a talented freshman point guard. Tyler was a senior point guard, (even if he was a freshman. There’s all the difference.

- We only got called for 13 fouls but 8 of them went to our big men, Rakeem Christmas and Chris McCullough. We don’t have a lot of size or depth up front so those guys have to stay out of foul trouble.

- Two double fouls? I didn’t even know they had double fouls.

- JB said in his press conference that “we aren’t anywhere near closer to what we were (at this time) last year”. He’s right. I have a feeling that this is going to be a bumpy ride. Hopefully the year will have the opposite arc of last year, when we got worse as the season went along. Maybe this team will blossom at the end of the year. But they aren’t in full flower now.

The forwards may get there -- lots of talent and room for improvement and 4 guys competing for playing time.

Guard play -- worries me. The backcourt needs to get a lot better to give us any chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom