The Downside- Indiana | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Indiana

SWC75

Bored Historian
- How many games are we going to give up 88 points in regulation and still win. This team is starting to remind me of the 1969-70 team- the last SU team that didn’t win up with a winning record. That team averaged 86 points per game – and gave up 86 points a game. Their nadir was against Pittsburgh, a team averaging 65 points per game. We scored 71 in one half against them and still lost by 19, 108-127, the most points Syracuse has ever surrendered. There could be a lot of games like tonight’s coming up. The fun part is when we win them. Losing is not the fun part.

- This game could seem a distant memory in a week. Here comes Florida State and Villanova, both away from the Dome.

- Benny Williams – where are you? I know you’re a freshman but you’re supposed to be a 5-star recruit. Swider’s foul trouble gave Benny a chance to show what he can do. He showed that, at this stage, it’s nothing. In 19 minutes, he never got a shot off. He got two foul shots and missed them both. He wound up with 0 points and an angry coach, mad because when Khristian Lander intentionally missed that free throw at the end of regulation, Benny “just stood there” and let Jackson-Davis grab the rebound and fouled him, to put him on the line with no time remaining to sink the two shots that sent the game into overtime. Remember when we were shocked that Jimmy Boeheim might start over Benny?

- Joe Girard had a turnover with 2:45 left in regulation with SU up by one that was exquisitely painful- he’d dribbled past his defender and was going in for a big lay-up when he just bobbled the ball out of bounds. But then he made the play that won the game at the end of the second overtime to make up for it.

- When I was a kid I had an uncle who hated Paul Hornung. Whenever we were watching a Packers game, (and we watched a lot of them back in the 60’s because they were always in the championship game), he’s shout “Break his leg!!!” every time Hornung got the ball. I was very proud of myself that when Trayce Jackson-Davis twisted his ankle and had to be helped off the floor I was hoping that he was OK. He’s such a great talent and it would be a shame to have his season or career ended or limited by an injury. But then he came back and seemed to spend the rest of the game on the line, sinking fouls shots that were killing us. I came to wish that his foot had fallen off and couldn’t be re-attached. Uncle Ed would have been proud.

- In both Saturday Night’s football game and tonight’s basketball game the South Manley parking lot was way under half full when I got there, not a good sign. There weren’t even the guys with flashlights there usually are for the basketball games, directing me to the worst parking spots. I won’t miss them but empty parking lots and empty seats are not good for SU’s athletic budget.

Was "Just stood there" a quote from JB? He should have waited to watch the tape! Bennie neither just stood there nor did he foul him.

Was "Just stood there" a quote from JB? He should have waited to watch the tape! Bennie neither just stood there nor did he foul him.

Indiana's pet officials ensured they at least had a chance on that play.

Great game and great win. Having to listen to Jimmy Dykes for an extra 10 minutes of basketball though - definite downside.

Trayce went over Benny's back.
That Pitt game - brings back bad memories.

A major downside to me was blowing the lead in regulation when we went into a delay game. Over the years we have won almost every game when using that tactic, but in most the lead disappeared quickly and we were hanging on until the final horn.

Looking back at the JB presser, he said "Benny didn't jump. He just stood there." Go to the 6:56 mark:

Looking at the highlights, (the 2:29 mark), I agree with your assessment of the play and I think JB will, too, when he looks at the film. From his angle, (and mine) all you could see was the result.

A major downside to me was blowing the lead in regulation when we went into a delay game. Over the years we have won almost every game when using that tactic, but in most the lead disappeared quickly and we were hanging on until the final horn.

I've always though that a 10 point lead was an opportunity to win the game by 15 points but...

1638377047535.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom