The Downside- Iona | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Iona

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We could never quite pull away. We’d get up by 7-8 points and Iona would hit a three and then another and suddenly there was a battle for the lead. Iona deserves some credit for that but we just couldn’t seem to make the plays we needed when the nature of the game was on the line.

- Matthew Moyer seemed lost on offense, getting off one shot in 18 minutes. He was often 20 feet from the basket, where is of no help to us. He may lose playing time to Dolezaj if he doesn’t figure out his role on the team.

- Oshae Brissett scored 12 points but was a non-factor for much of the game. He’s an athletic 6-8 but had only 3 rebounds in 37 minutes of play. I did like a play where he was at the top of the key, made a move to drive, causing the defender to retreat and then tossed in what was basically a free throw for 2 points. But there wasn’t enough of that.

- Frank Howard scored well and talked well but he had 4 assists and 5 turnovers. In the four games so far, including the exhibitions he has 10 assists and 15 turnovers. The team as a hole had only 12 assists in 26 baskets in this game and has 50 of 117 baskets in the four games. A team that presses and fast breaks and doesn’t shoot well from outside needs to pass the ball for baskets.

- We were 6 for 18 from the arc in this game and are 25 for 81 in the four games, (31%). We were lucky that Iona, which is a good outside shooting team, was only 10 for 32 in this one. We kept fairly good contact but they missed some open ones, especially early.

- We were helped when their best big men, Griffin and Emogi, fouled out. We helped them foul out by making a commitment to drive to the basket in the second half. It might have been a different ending if those two guys were in. They had scored 16 points and had 13 rebounds combined.

- Iona ran off made baskets and we were not ready for them, which certainly concerned JB, judging by his press conference. We slowly adjusted to it- sort of.

- JB’s terse comment on Geno Thorpe: “He’ll play more when he plays better.“ Ouch!

One big downside I saw that you posted about was the lack of assists. The problem is Frank Howard is not a point guard... the was crystal clear on a fast break in the first half after he hit that deep 3. He was "feeling it" so instead of passing it he took on two guys and turned the ball over... he didn't even look at his teammate when a true point guard would have definitely passed it.

One big downside I saw that you posted about was the lack of assists. The problem is Frank Howard is not a point guard... the was crystal clear on a fast break in the first half after he hit that deep 3. He was "feeling it" so instead of passing it he took on two guys and turned the ball over... he didn't even look at his teammate when a true point guard would have definitely passed it.
I would argue that Frank is even less of a PG than Scoop or Triche were.

I would argue that Frank is even less of a PG than Scoop or Triche were.
No need to argue -- pretty much a fact.
Boeheim noted that Frank did not play much PG for his high school, and of course he was only a spare part in 2015-16 and last season after the first 8 games. He is young for being a junior (same age as Moyer, for example), so maybe he gets better. The balance of his game (scoring and defense) is what will keep him on the court.

As I laid in bed last night, I had a good talk with Oshae. “You WILL learn from this, will you not?” I asked him. “Oh, yes, ma’am!” He assured me. “I’m a real quick study.

Reassured, I fell into a deep, peaceful sleep.

As I laid in bed last night, I had a good talk with Oshae. “You WILL learn from this, will you not?” I asked him. “Oh, yes, ma’am!” He assured me. “I’m a real quick study.

Reassured, I fell into a deep, peaceful sleep.

Not sure why you'd be chatting w/ Oshae whilst lying in bed, but... whatever works!

Not sure why you'd be chatting w/ Oshae whilst lying in bed, but... whatever works!
You. . . . You don’t talk to the bball players while you’re settling down for the night?? I thought everyone did that! :(

Downside -
2 pretty evenly matched teams; only difference was home court advantage...

We really are not a good 'play-making' team. I'm not sure where that's going to come from, but part of it has to be the scheme and plays themselves. Frightening, when i see us, and then a switch over to Duke/MSt and Kentucky/Kansas, and see the ball whipping around the court like it's on fire. With us, there's a pass, and then that recipient is going to try to take his defender one-on-one. Then maybe he'll pass out, if he doesn't jack up a shot. If he passes out, it just resets the entire futile process.

Howard just isn't working out. Bizarre, as we saw his amazing passing as a freshman. Now, he's a better shooter, but a worse passer...

- We were 6 for 18 from the arc in this game and are 25 for 81 in the four games, (31%). We were lucky that Iona, which is a good outside shooting team, was only 10 for 32 in this one. We kept fairly good contact but they missed some open ones, especially early.

iona only shot 18% deep in a loss against maac opponent albany saturday night.

Last edited:
Too soon.

dunce-cap.jpg

iona only shot 18% deep in a loss against maac opponent albany saturday night.

From Lindy's: EJ Crawford will be a leader offensively and one of the best outside shooting threats. He ranked second on the team in 3 pointers (56). Returning standout Deyshonnee Much led the team (67) in that category. Schadrac Casimir will aid the 3 point attack as well and it won't be a surprise if he knocks his scoring average of a year a go up a few points."

They shot 39.7% from three point range last year and the players Lind's sighted were 44.8%, 38.5% and 42.7%:
2016-17 Iona Gaels Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Teams have off nights and even slumps. The fact that they attempted 32 three points indicates they expect it to be a major weapon for them this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom