The Downside- Lehigh | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Lehigh

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I realize that Lehigh was a step above- probably more than one- LeMoyne and Southern Florida. But I thought this was a high scoring, uptempo SU team. We got 52 shots off and scored 57 points. Last year, when everything was slow and ugly, we got off 57 shots a game and scored 68 points a game.

- JB emphasized that the three point shot is key to this team: “we don’t have another option. That’s the best option for us -- that shot." But I’m still not comfortable with 65% of shots being the three pointer. How many teams have we beaten over the years that tried to beat us with the three pointer and failed because we could keep going inside and scoring while they would start missing at some point and fall behind. Now we are that team.

- If we are going to jack up 34 three pointers, we need to hit more than 11 of them to justify it, even if it is you “best option”. Our outside game should set up an inside game, or at least open up lanes to the basket for people who know how to move with the ball.

- We also used to be able to foul out big men by going to a big-time inside scorer. Tim Kempton had three fouls at halftime- and three at the end of the game. Kempton had 12 points and 8 rebounds in that second half.

- Kempton scored 16 points in the game primarily because he got to the line 13 times. The guy who should be our big-time inside scorer, DaJuan Coleman,. Picked up 4 fouls in 13 minutes and had 2 points and 2 rebounds. His back-up, Chinoso Obokoh, never scored and fouled out in 15 minutes. Neither has any clue about how to positon themselves on defense, which prevents them from contributing anything on offense. We are the definition of a donut team.

- 13 assists and 17 turnovers. A perimeter oriented game should produce more assists and fewer turnovers, with more missed shots being the downside. There is lot of work to do before this can be a good team- and they need to get good in a hurry.

- I realize that Lehigh was a step above- probably more than one- LeMoyne and Southern Florida. But I thought this was a high scoring, uptempo SU team. We got 52 shots off and scored 57 points. Last year, when everything was slow and ugly, we got off 57 shots a game and scored 68 points a game.

- JB emphasized that the three point shot is key to this team: “we don’t have another option. That’s the best option for us -- that shot." But I’m still not comfortable with 65% of shots being the three pointer. How many teams have we beaten over the years that tried to beat us with the three pointer and failed because we could keep going inside and scoring while they would start missing at some point and fall behind. Now we are that team.

- If we are going to jack up 34 three pointers, we need to hit more than 11 of them to justify it, even if it is you “best option”. Our outside game should set up an inside game, or at least open up lanes to the basket for people who know how to move with the ball.

- We also used to be able to foul out big men by going to a big-time inside scorer. Tim Kempton had three fouls at halftime- and three at the end of the game. Kempton had 12 points and 8 rebounds in that second half.

- Kempton scored 16 points in the game primarily because he got to the line 13 times. The guy who should be our big-time inside scorer, DaJuan Coleman,. Picked up 4 fouls in 13 minutes and had 2 points and 2 rebounds. His back-up, Chinoso Obokoh, never scored and fouled out in 15 minutes. Neither has any clue about how to positon themselves on defense, which prevents them from contributing anything on offense. We are the definition of a donut team.

- 13 assists and 17 turnovers. A perimeter oriented game should produce more assists and fewer turnovers, with more missed shots being the downside. There is lot of work to do before this can be a good team- and they need to get good in a hurry.
Fair question, if we are a donut team, how did we give up only 47 pts against an tourney team last year w a very good 6 10 center? Maybe we are a donut team BUT we werent last night...what did we have ? 7 blocks last night? Lehigh 1 block? ....

Fair question, if we are a donut team, how did we give up only 47 pts against an tourney team last year w a very good 6 10 center? Maybe we are a donut team BUT we werent last night...what did we have ? 7 blocks last night? Lehigh 1 block? ...

Fair answer: Their 6-10 center got 16 of the 47 points and 12 rebounds and got 9 fouls on the two guys guarding him.

Fair answer: Their 6-10 center got 16 of the 47 points and 12 rebounds and got 9 fouls on the two guys guarding him.
3-8 from the field you forgot to mention, but how is 16 and 12 from the POY in Patriot League a poor defensive effort? He will prob do that or similar against most decent teams this year...

-

I agree with you about the offense being way out of balance towards the 3 point shot. JB may have said that the 3 is our best option. But did he say he felt it was a particularly good option?

"now we are That Team"

Ugh. That one hurts.

louiefacepalm.gif

I agree with you about the offense being way out of balance towards the 3 point shot. JB may have said that the 3 is our best option. But did he say he felt it was a particularly good option?

I think between Gbinije, Cooney, Malachi, Roberson, Joseph, Howard and Lydon we have the dribble guys, height, and shooters to move the ball around for quick backdoor baskets With Coleman and Obokoh giving screens.

Motion could benefit this team much more then any team in the past 15 years we just don't have anyone to finish strong at the rim with a defender in between it. Gbinije averaged 3.3 foul shots per game last year that is not a drivers numbers. Roberson and Lydon have the best shot at being that but Roberson has not brought the ball to basket strong and misses the soft move layup so far. If we had even one guy that could do it thusfar, he would have been forcing it alot early on because our shooters would have opened driving lanes for him.

It also could open us up more for the offensive boards off threes for guys like Lydon and get the occasional guy inside position on the offensive end to box out to rebound the long threes.

I know we like to run the pro style offenses and show we are a team that forces mismatches but we just don't have that this year. No true isolation guys outside Gbinije. Although Cooney showed some last year and Malachi has shown flashes. I see nothing wrong with working harder in the halfcourt for one year as opposed to exploiting mismatches especially if Cooney G can give us 30 solid minutes uptop together doing so. We are pretty much all set for next year anyway until we get a few of those scholorships back off a rediculously overblown penalty of which Diagne was the first part of.

Last edited:
Yeah. It's a gut punch.

gut%2Bpunch.jpg

(from Elvis no less.)

It feels more like this:

KRAMER: Wide open, I was wide open underneath! I had three inches on that
guy. You two were hogging the ball.

GEORGE: Me? It wasn't me I never even saw the ball. All you do is dribble.

JERRY: I have to dribble, if I give it to you, you just shoot. You're a
chucker.

GEORGE: Oh I'm a chucker.

JERRY: That's right, everytime you get the ball you shoot.

GEORGE: I can't believe you called me a chucker. No way I'm a chucker, I do
not chuck, never chucked, never have chucked, never will chuck, no chuck!

JERRY: You chuck.

GEROGE: Kramer am I a chucker?

KRAMER: You're a chucker.

GEORGE: All these years I've been chuckin' and you've never told me?

JERRY: Well it's not an easy thing to bring up.

I think between Gbinije, Cooney, Malachi, Roberson, Joseph, Howard and Lydon we have the dribble guys, height, and shooters to move the ball around for quick backdoor baskets With Coleman and Obokoh giving screens.

Motion could benefit this team much more then any team in the past 15 years we just don't have anyone to finish strong at the rim with a defender in between it. Gbinije averaged 3.3 foul shots per game last year that is not a drivers numbers. Roberson and Lydon have the best shot at being that but Roberson has not brought the ball to basket strong and misses the soft move layup so far. If we had even one guy that could do it thusfar, he would have been forcing it alot early on because our shooters would have opened driving lanes for him.

It also could open us up more for the offensive boards off threes for guys like Lydon and get the occasional guy inside position on the offensive end to box out to rebound the long threes.

I know we like to run the pro style offenses and show we are a team that forces mismatches but we just don't have that this year. No true isolation guys outside Gbinije. Although Cooney showed some last year and Malachi has shown flashes. I see nothing wrong with working harder in the halfcourt for one year as opposed to exploiting mismatches especially if Cooney G can give us 30 solid minutes uptop together doing so. We are pretty much all set for next year anyway until we get a few of those scholorships back off a rediculously overblown penalty of which Diagne was the first part of.

Some good points. The jury is still out on whether or not we have adequate enough ballhandlers to run this kind of (or motion) offense. A big achilles heel the past few years.

CT8dWLtWoAA-8IK.png

This was textbook backdoor right Here. Great job by Roberson.

I don't know if Lydon is going to hit corner threes this year but I like him from 15 out on the baseline or at the 45 degree angle top of the three point line if he takes his time and doesn't let the closing defender destract him.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom