The Downside- Louisville | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Louisville

SWC75

Bored Historian
-
1582170694060.png
No need to change this from the last two games.

- We’ve had a number of valiant efforts in recent games that came up short. I suspect it all caught up to this team tonight. Louisville is very good but so are Duke and Florida State. We led the Duke game until just before halftime and the only player of theirs I thought was substantially better than our player s at the same position was Carey. We lost by 3 at Florida State after having a late lead. I saw no reason why were would not be competitive in this game, especially knowing that we likely had to win to have any shot at the NCAA tournament. Instead we played our worst game of the season, full of passes to no one, uncontested dunks, reboudns and loose ball we could or should have had that we got out-hustled for. On one play we had three men in prefect positon to rebound the ball and they all stood there while Malik Williams ran in , grabbed the ball and put in a follow shot. This game wasn’t just about quality of effort. I was also about quantity of effort and that is very concerning.

- We were out-rebounded by 9 and had 3 more turnovers. That gave them 12 more chances to score than we got. Five of those turnovers came in the first 5:12 of the game, including our very first possession. At least three times Syracuse player just threw to ball to nobody, out of bounds.

- This was to be a battle of the conferences two top scorers, SU’s Elijah Hughes and Louisville’s Jordan Nwora. Nwora wasn’t great but scored 19 points on 6 for 19 shooting with 7 rebounds. Hughes fizzled with 10 points on 3 for 13 shooting and 4 rebounds.

- Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard scored 18 points in the first half but only 9 in the second. They missed 19 of 29 shots and 11 of 16 three pointers.

- Marek Dolezaj played 29 mintues and attempted one shot, scoring 3 points. He’s good at the free throw line but refuses to attempt a shot from the same spot in a game. If the drive to the basket is cut off, his offensive game disappears. That leaves us with too many non-scorers.

- Bourama Sidibe managed to foul out in 11 minutes. Avoiding fouls is a measure of how much you’ve learned about how to play the game and what your responsibilities are in the coach’s system. My the time you are a junior, you should be avoiding fouls. You really have to wonder what he gives us that Jesse Edwards doesn’t.

- Three point shooting was supposed to be an advent age we would have over other teams. In the last three games, we’d scored 17 treys –and given up 32. Virtually all of Louisville’s were wide open, even if some of them were deep.

- Barring a run to the ACCT title, we can forget about the NCAAs. If this team can’t find the fire in their belly even the streak of winning seasons is in serious jeopardy.

one more stat you didn't mention. just 11 assists. no player more than 2 . last 10 games we are averaging just 10.7 per game. for the season miami is last in the ACC at 10.3 per. assists numbers have really dropped off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom