The Downside- MSU | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- MSU

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Frank Howard had only one foul when he committed two within 5 seconds at the 9:35 and 9:30 marks. Then he committed two in less than a full second of playing time, both marked at 6:39 to foul out. This is our point guard. He has to find a way to stay in the game. The 4th foul was a touch foul under the basket, the 5th a hedge on a long inbounds pass. The replay showed no discernable contact but because the defender fell when he jumped to catch the ball. But Frank shouldn’t have bene anywhere near that play. He had another play where he let the shot clock run out because he seemed unaware that it was running down. He’s got to have better awareness of what is going on than that.

- The committed 22 fouls and we got 31 free throws. We committed 20 fouls and they got 16 free throws. That’s a lot of non-shooting foul calls on us.

- Did we get a single controversial call or crazy bounce to go our way?

- We are going to have to average more than 56.3 points per game to make it much father in this tournament. And I don’t like the trend: 60 then 57 then 52 points. Back in Hubert Davis advised Syracuse to “get yourself an offensive dude”, (thus the “Offensive dude of the game, or O-dog). I think we need to have some offensive dues emerge in next weekend’s game if we are to go much farther.

I thought the shot clock running out wasn't really his fault. I imagine he thought the clock had reset because of all the chaos.

- Frank Howard had only one foul when he committed two within 5 seconds at the 9:35 and 9:30 marks. Then he committed two in less than a full second of playing time, both marked at 6:39 to foul out. This is our point guard. He has to find a way to stay in the game. The 4th foul was a touch foul under the basket, the 5th a hedge on a long inbounds pass. The replay showed no discernable contact but because the defender fell when he jumped to catch the ball. But Frank shouldn’t have bene anywhere near that play. He had another play where he let the shot clock run out because he seemed unaware that it was running down. He’s got to have better awareness of what is going on than that.

- The committed 22 fouls and we got 31 free throws. We committed 20 fouls and they got 16 free throws. That’s a lot of non-shooting foul calls on us.

- We are going to have to average more than 56.3 points per game to make it much father in this tournament. And I don’t like the trend: 60 then 57 then 52 points. Back in Hubert Davis advised Syracuse to “get yourself an offensive dude”, (thus the “Offensive dude of the game, or O-dog). I think we need to have some offensive dues emerge in next weekend’s game if we are to go much farther.
Great summary!! Only addition is offensive rebounding. Brutal. Agree whole heartedly with frank comments.

The re-play on Frank's fifth foul did show him pushing the MSU player on the thigh, thus creating the undercut that lead to his falling down. IMHO it was a good call on what should have been a smarter play or non-play by Frank in that situation. It looked to me like Frank thought he could steal the in bounds pass and when he realized that he could not make that play he tried to stop, but he had too much momentum and stuck his hand out to try and slow down, thus creating the contact.

we didn't shoot
we didn't rebound
we didn't pass for assists
we won

We shot 34%, had 7 offensive rebounds to 29 and 3 assists. And won 55-53.

Last edited:
The re-play on Frank's fifth foul did show him pushing the MSU player on the thigh, thus creating the undercut that lead to his falling down. IMHO it was a good call on what should have been a smarter play or non-play by Frank in that situation. It looked to me like Frank thought he could steal the in bounds pass and when he realized that he could not make that play he tried to stop, but he had too much momentum and stuck his hand out to try and slow down, thus creating the contact.

imagine if it was the other way, and the player got hurt, we would be crying about a no-call for months

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom