The Downside: NC State | Syracusefan.com

The Downside: NC State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I should be enjoying this season more. We are on top of the world. It should feel like it. Instead, I feel like I’ve survived 25 operations. Florida State fans had the fun of rooting for a football team that wouldn’t allow teams to compete with them. They’d be up by 5 touchdowns at halftime and let’s have a look at the reserves in a relaxing second half. Like them we are undefeated, at the top of the conference and #1 in the nation. But it’s not the same and we aren’t having as much fun.

- Jimmy Morgan on The Score’s post game call-=in show, urged the fans to believe in this team, to feel that it’s blessed and that these miracle finishes will just keep happening until we win it all. I think this team is a litmus test for your personality. The Jimmer, a highly religious guy, is all about believing in things. I’m by nature a cautious optimist. I see a blade-running team that cannot continue to play like this and still make a serious post season run. And I don’t want to see such a great season end with a whimper. Games are not won through destiny. They are won by making plays. The more good ones you make, the more likely you are to win. We aren’t making enough of them. We have simply got to play better and make it difficult for teams to compete with us, not just difficult to beat us. There were a lot of teams that would have beaten us tonight, and we are going to be playing some of them.

- I’ve never seen Syracuse miss so many wide-open jump shots as we did in the first half. It was as if State’s strategy was to leave us so wide open we were to amazed to actually make the shot. Just a normal shooting game and we win this by 15-20.

- In the first half, when not missing open jumpers, we seemed to drive to the basket with no exit strategy. Grant, Fair and Ennis just got tangled up in the defense and flipped up wild shots without even looking to pass. CJ eventually got some lay-ups off the pick and roll play but aside from that it was pretty ugly.

- Tyler Ennis had his worst game of the season, going 3 for 10 from the field, missing a couple of free throws and turning the ball over 4 times, including a dreadful charge with 15 seconds to go that should have cooked our goose. In the four games sin the Duke game, Tyler is 11 for 33 from the field with 9 turnovers, (he had four of those tonight.

- We rebounded the ball four times in the final minute of the first half, (without scoring), and still were down four of the boards in that half. We won the boards in the second half 18-13 but this was the #14 team in the league in rebounding and I did not expect the boards to be a problem. NC State looked like Pitt in the early going, seeming to miss just so they could rebound the ball and score in close.

- Mark Gottfried is probably not very pleased by the refs. They got called for 15 second half fouls to our six. TJ Warren probably should have been given a continuation on one shot that went in as he was fouled. There was an apparent foul against a three point shooter that, after a time-out was treated as a common foul and thus an inbounds play. Then the final shot was a goal tend, (although it was a good call). We complained about the refs in Pittsburgh. NC State has a right to complain about the refs in this game, although ti would be noted that the first half fouls were 8-3 to their benefit and that the refs allowed the Pack’s big men to pitch a tent in the lane in the first half, which was the cause of all the offensive rebounds they were getting.

- The bench: 17 minutes, 2 points. We can’t accomplish what we want with a five man team, even these five men.

image.jpg

Seriously though, excellent as always.

i could almost forgive cj for the air balls. but as the senior leader you gotta step up and nail those free throws crunch time.

"I feel like I’ve survived 25 operations. "

How true. Another great SWC line. Seems like there is at least one per post-game writeup.

"I feel like I’ve survived 25 operations. "

How true. Another great SWC line. Seems like there is at least one per post-game writeup.

The question is, does surviving 25 operations mean we are more like to survive 15 more?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom