The Downside - North Carolina (football) | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - North Carolina (football)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We’ve struggled with two teams these last two weeks with a combined record of 4-9. The rest of the schedule is 22-12.

- The story of the game was supposed to be that the Heels would run the ball down our throats. If we could force them to pass, we would win. Nathan Elliott was superb, completing 34 passes for 321 yards 2 scores and no interceptions in the face of a determined pass rush. Elliott was knocked to the ground several times but completed the pass anyway, for several first downs. We got only one sack in 53 pass attempts.

- We stopped Michael Carter, (2.4 yards per rush), but Antonio Williams went off for 116 yards at 7.7 per clip.

- The most exciting player on UNC’s team was not Ratliff-Williams but “Dazz” Newsome who had a 73 yard punt return and a 55 yard catch. On the punt return we had one guy guarding the outside after he cut back and our defender, (didn’t get the number) took one step inside and Dazz was past him, had the sideline and we were toast.

- Dino said this might be the first game where we lost the special teams. He had in mind the punt return for a touchdown. Both teams averaged starting on their own 29. They had 98 return yards. We had 26. Sterling Hofrichter averaged 45.1 yards per kick. Their guy was 37.7. We missed one field goal. They missed two. The point is, we didn’t dominate for the second game in a row and the result was that we found ourselves in overtime for the second game in a row.

- Strange thing: During the period Eric Dungey was in the game, we continued our trend of passing to the sidelines and running the ball up the middle. I realize that those two strategies complement each other but if that’s all you are doing, you get easier to defend as well. Suddenly DeVito came in and we began throwing not only deep but also over the middle. I’ve always thought that the sideline throws, other than the bubble screens, did not play to Dungey’s strengths. His arm strength is mediocre and he tends to throw the ball to the inside of the receiver instead of to the outside, where only his guy could get it. Why not throw over the middle with Dungey? The throws have to be easier.

- Dungey’s problems seemed to me to have more to do with timing than any hidden injury. He threw the ball too far for Moe Neal when the play was wide open on the first possession. He threw it behind Nykeim Johnson when he could have had a big gainer on the next possession. Eric did pass for 225 yards and run for 42 but he had no TD passes in 55 minutes and DeVito had 3 in 5 minutes and two overtimes.

- Tommy made some big plays but his completion percentage wasn’t actually much better than Eric’s: 11 for 19 vs. 17 for 33. Those 8 incompletions included some over throws and a bad interception. I’m not sure the DeVito Era has begun quite yet.

- Fourth a 9, down by 7, 2:29 left. You have DeVito loft the ball to the corner and have 5-8 Nykeim Johnson trying to catch it. Why not run something that gives Tommy some options? And why not have the 6-5 guy trying to out-jump people in the corner of the end zone?

- I guess I don’t know what pass interference is. A guy runs full into Jamal Custis and the foul is on Custis. Custis gets close-lined before the ball gets there. No call. Riley gets shoved from behind. No call. Also, can’t they say what was being reviewed when they announce that the call on the field stands?

Last edited:
Good point on where the passes were going. With ED we were either throwing for 4 yards or 40. There were no passes over the middle. I just didn't get it.

Also, it was like watching Pitt basketball. UNC seemed a foul on every play to the point that the refs stopped calling the obvious.

Last edited:
Good point on where the passes were going. With ED we were either throwing for 4 yards or 40. There were no passes over the middle. I just didn't get it.

Also, it was like watching Pitt basketball. There seemed a foul on every play to the point that the refs stopped calling the obvious.

Agree, our first pass over the middle won the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom