The Downside (Notre Dame) | Syracusefan.com

The Downside (Notre Dame)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Another road game. Another good opponent. Another loss. They’ve ceased being painful and are just sad.

- Again, this is not an NCAA team. It may not see any action after the ACC Tournament at all if they can’t play better than this. The one goal that is still reasonable is to have our 47th straight winning record. We need six more sins to clinch that. There are 11 games left, 6 at home. Don’t count on anything good happing in the ACC Tournament: we’re likely to be match with one of the better teams away from the Dome and you can see how that’s gone.

- We scored first in the first half and gave up a 2-12 run, then scored first in the second half and gave up an 0-9 run. We lost by 18 so those runs were the margin of victory and they allowed Notre Dame to remain in control throughout.

- Three guys scored 57 of our 66 points. I’ve often said that if we have 1-2 guys playing well, we likely lose to a decent team. If we have 3-4 guys playing well we likely win. More than that and we blow them out. But with a weak defense, we’ve got to outscore people and that slides the scale to where we need 4-5 guys to have a chance to win these games. We’ve got The Third Man: Who will be The Fourth Guy?

- Taurean Thompson’s night: 0 for 4 from the field, no trips to the line, 2 rebounds, 2 turnovers and 4 fouls. Zero points for a player who must score to justify his spot in the line-up.

- John Gillon was a trillionaire much of the game before spoiling with and assist and a missed shot. Also zero points.

- Tyler Roberson also got into foul trouble and only played 11 minutes. He had 2 blocks and 2 steals in those 11 minutes but his bread and butter is rebounds and put-backs. He had 1 rebounds and missed both shots, (as well as having 2 turnovers. You guessed it- zero points.

- Frank Howard wasn’t terrible, although his dribbling reminds me of me in gym class back in the day. He had 4 points, 4 rebounds and 3 steals but that’s not enough to became the “Fourth Guy”.

- DaJuan Coleman, getting his first chance to play significant minutes in conference play , tried hard but he seems less mobile than he was even last year. And for a big, strong guy, he has the ball taken away from him too many times.

- We got out-rebounded 28-39 by a team of jump shooters. They came in +1 on the season, not +11.

- Our first assist came 16 minutes and 20 seconds into the game. 8 of our 23 baskets were assisted compared to 20 of 29. They were hitting jumps shots, (or passing beyond charging defenders trying to prevent them). We were driving to the basket. But you can get assists driving to the basket if you are willing to give the ball up, something that had bene discussed on JB’s show last Thursday. He said at that time that they were going to stress this. It did no good.

- I’m tired of saying “It could be worse” at halftime. We’ve had two games this year were the lead changed hands in the second half, (Connecticut and Georgetown).

- I’m also tired of watching the team “play out the string” at the end of the second half, everybody already know who is going to win. When do they start playing out the string for the season?

-

- Again, this is not an NCAA team. It may not see any action after the ACC Tournament at all if they can’t play better than this. The one goal that is still reasonable is to have our 47th straight winning record. We need six more sins to clinch that. There are 11 games left, 6 at home. Don’t count on anything good happing in the ACC Tournament: we’re likely to be match with one of the better teams away from the Dome and you can see how that’s gone.

Don't underestimate the possibility that we'll be playing on the first day in the play in games.

#10 v #15
#11 v #14
#12 v #13

Don't underestimate the possibility that we'll be playing on the first day in the play in games.

#10 v #15
#11 v #14
#12 v #13

Forgot about them. We could pick up an extra win there. But first I'd like to see us win a game away from the Dome.

- Another road game. Another good opponent. Another loss. They’ve ceased being painful and are just sad.

- We scored first in the first half and gave up a 2-12 run, then scored first in the second half and gave up an 0-9 run. We lost by 18 so those runs were the margin of victory and they allowed Notre Dame to remain in control throughout.

- Three guys scored 57 of our 66 points. I’ve often said that if we have 1-2 guys playing well, we likely lose to a decent team. If we have 3-4 guys playing well we likely win. More than that and we blow them out. But with a weak defense, we’ve got to outscore people and that slides the scale to where we need 4-5 guys to have a chance to win these games. We’ve got The Third Man: Who will be The Fourth Guy?

- Taurean Thompson’s night: 0 for 4 from the field, no trips to the line, 2 rebounds, 2 turnovers and 4 fouls. Zero points for a player who must score to justify his spot in the line-up.

- John Gillon was a trillionaire much of the game before spoiling with and assist and a missed shot. Also zero points.

- Tyler Roberson also got into foul trouble and only played 11 minutes. He had 2 blocks and 2 steals in those 11 minutes but his bread and butter is rebounds and put-backs. He had 1 rebounds and missed both shots, (as well as having 2 turnovers. You guessed it- zero points.

- Frank Howard wasn’t terrible, although his dribbling reminds me of me in gym class back in the day. He had 4 points, 4 rebounds and 3 steals but that’s not enough to became the “Fourth Guy”.

- DaJuan Coleman, getting his first chance to play significant minutes in conference play , tried hard but he seems less mobile than he was even last year. And for a big, strong guy, he has the ball taken away from him too many times.

- We got out-rebounded 28-39 by a team of jump shooters. They came in +1 on the season, not +11.

- Our first assist came 16 minutes and 20 seconds into the game. 8 of our 23 baskets were assisted compared to 20 of 29. They were hitting jumps shots, (or passing beyond charging defenders trying to prevent them). We were driving to the basket. But you can get assists driving to the basket if you are willing to give the ball up, something that had bene discussed on JB’s show last Thursday. He said at that time that they were going to stress this. It did no good.

- I’m tired of saying “It could be worse” at halftime. We’ve had two games this year were the lead changed hands in the second half, (Connecticut and Georgetown).

- I’m also tired of watching the team “play out the string” at the end of the second half, everybody already know who is going to win. When do they start playing out the string for the season?
There is so much that confuses me about this team but the thing that confused me most today was why FH was out there so much? Yes JG did next to nothing, but clearly FH did too! So then i thought, well heck, JB HAS to put a pg out there and its either JG or FH...
BUT...I watched closely and FH wasnt even functioning in a PG role! Ok he may have taken the ball up the court. But he was not initiating ANY offense, wasnt setting anybody up. If he drove it and tried to pass it was a turnover. Eventually JB had him standing on the wing just swinging the ball...
Are you really trying to tell me JB does not have a more skilled ball player on the bench than FH, not to mention does he really not have another player who has not caused huge chemistry problems??. Does JB really not have another player with a better attitude??

I have seen people say that TB should be point guard and i scoffed. You know what, i am now with Mr Battle (and i officially disagree w JB) - put TB in at PG!! He must be a better option than a kid with a poor attitude like FH. Maybe JB will turn out to be right yet again but i want it proven to me!! What does this team have to lose?? Lol

We need to give up on a true pg and go to pg by committee!! All imho

pray no one pressures us lol

If they finish 5-6 the rest of the way they end up at 16-15. One and done in ACC tourney, they finish 16-16. I'm assuming no CIT or CBI garbage tourney, certainly no NIT. Since that would be a non losing season that's good enough for me to keep the streak alive.

If they finish 5-6 the rest of the way they end up at 16-15. One and done in ACC tourney, they finish 16-16. I'm assuming no CIT or CBI garbage tourney, certainly no NIT. Since that would be a non losing season that's good enough for me to keep the streak alive.

Except the streak is for WINNING seasons.

when ESPN did their top program rankings a few years back, the top bullet point was no losing season since 68-69. .500 on the dot keeps that going. This will be my last post on the subject since you get real snippy if somebody dares to challenge you and you have most favored nation status on this board.

when ESPN did their top program rankings a few years back, the top bullet point was no losing season since 68-69. .500 on the dot keeps that going. This will be my last post on the subject since you get real snippy if somebody dares to challenge you and you have most favored nation status on this board.

I'm not trying to be 'snippy' and I'm certainly not above criticism.

When I did the research on the subject I had heard that we had the longest streak of winning seasons in the country and I decided to find who had long streaks of winning seasons over the history of the sport and where our streak ranked.(We are currently tied for second with Louisville who had winning seasons from 1944-45 to 1989-90) I didn't look for streaks of non-losing seasons because that's not what this was about. The resulting list might have been significantly different if that was the criteria.

I just checked the ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia. Kentucky had a losing season in 1926-27. Their next losing season was was 1988-89.
They had one wear where the program was suspended by the NCAA in 1952-53. They were 13-13 in 1966-67 and also in 1973-74. So they had 60 consecutive non-losing seasons, (if you don't count the suspension against them) and 39 consecutive winning seasons. UCLA has the record for consecutive winning seasons with 54. I'd like to catch them. That requires that we continue to have winning seasons. I would take another 6 years to catch Kentucky. for the non-losing season record, which, it seems to me, is a somewhat less significant record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom