The Downside - Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Notre Dame

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Our first free throw came 35 minutes and 47 seconds into the game. I’ve been following SU basketball since Dave Bing’s senior year and I have never heard a stat like that. I know we were making a lot of jump shots but we attempted 39 two point shots and 28 treys. We were fouled 12 times. On average going into this game, we have averaged getting fouled 24 times per 39 two point attempts. In one sequence, Bourama Sidibie was fouled on a shot, got the rebound, got fouled on another shot, came down court and got fouled trying to get a rebound. No calls. Then Notre Dame decided they had to foul and they got the call on a simple reach-in at mid-court. We had 7 more two point field goals than Notre Dame, one more trey and shot 80% from the free throw line. Blow-out city. Except Notre Dame attempted 17 free throws to our 5. They only made 11, (65%) but were still +7 from the line.

- Early, we weren’t covering anything. The Irish got a couple of early lobs against our centers and were hitting wide-open jumper from outside, scoring 20 points in the first 7 minutes to get their 10 point lead. We never did cover T. J. Gibbs who made 6 of 13 threes, some of them from Knute Rockne’s grave.

- Centers normally have high shooting percentages. Ours were 1 for 7. Dolezaj is out of position. Chukwu has no hands. Sidibe has the most potential but was 0 for 3. Both Chukwu and Sidibe got passes when wide open under the basket, brought the ball down, hesitated and were unable to score because they let the defense collapse on them. On another occasion, a big rebound went directly over Sidibe’s head. He didn’t even raise his hands. Jimmy Satalin, doing the radio commentary, was beside himself, (and not good company). Later Satlain said, after Bourama was out-jumped for another rebound, “He can’t get off the ground”. In an earlier game he’d said that about Chukwu. So we have two centers who can’t get off the ground, probably because of their not-fully-healed injuries.

- Frank Howard continues to be lost In the woods. It’s not just his injury. He seems to not know where he’s supposed to be on defense and he keeps missing shots he would have made last year on offense. He may have a hard time holding off Jalen Carey, who got this team going in the first half.

Sidibe has the most potential and Frank is lost in the woods. Wow, I usually like your analysis. This was a bad game for you. I have full confidence you’ll be back to full strength for Clemson though.

Sidibe has the most potential and Frank is lost in the woods. Wow, I usually like your analysis. This was a bad game for you. I have full confidence you’ll be back to full strength for Clemson though.

You don't think Sidibie has more potential than Chukwu?

You don't think Frank is still looking for his game?

You don't think Sidibie has more potential than Chukwu?

You don't think Frank is still looking for his game?
Chukwu frustrates me. I see unrealized potential. He showed me flashes in different games last year but just cannot tap into it every game. I have never seen anything in Sidibe’s game that says “ this guy can be good.” People love to bring up that Pitt game last year when Sidibe hustled himself to a lot of put backs and rebounds against a pathetic winless in ACC play,Pitt team. I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong but the clock is ticking.
Frank,as I have said, played a darn good point guard game yesterday. If the 2 fore mentioned centers could catch the ball and make layups, he would have had 8 or 9 assists yesterday. So...no. I think it was an odd choice of games for a post game comment like yours on Frank.
But again, I respect your opinions and the research you put in on all subjects.

Chukwu frustrates me. I see unrealized potential. He showed me flashes in different games last year but just cannot tap into it every game. I have never seen anything in Sidibe’s game that says “ this guy can be good.” People love to bring up that Pitt game last year when Sidibe hustled himself to a lot of put backs and rebounds against a pathetic winless in ACC play,Pitt team. I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong but the clock is ticking.
Frank,as I have said, played a darn good point guard game yesterday. If the 2 fore mentioned centers could catch the ball and make layups, he would have had 8 or 9 assists yesterday. So...no. I think it was an odd choice of games for a post game comment like yours on Frank.
But again, I respect your opinions and the research you put in on all subjects.

Chukwu has never had a game like Sibide had against Pitt. And Sidibie's high school highlights, (yeah, vs. high school teams), show hands, moves and shots I've never seen from Chukwu:

NBPA Top 100 Camp: Three-Star Power Forward Bourama Sidibe Highlights

I agree he's been a big disappointment this year but there's no doubt he's more talented player.

JB's been acknowledging Frank's problems all season. Franks' line in the pre-conference season this year:

25.0m 9.2p 2.1r 5.9a 3.0s 0.2b 20.4+ 7.5mfg 0.4mft 2.5to 3.9pf 14.3- = 6.1NP 1.3OE 4.8FG

Last year in the pre-conference season:

36.8m 16.5p 3.9r 6.7a 2.5s 0.3b 29.9+ 8.6mfg 1.3mft 4.4to 2.7pf 17.0- = 12.9NP 6.6OE 6.3FG

(m = minutes per game. Other numbers are per 40 minutes)

Last edited:
Chukwu has never had a game like Sibide had against Pitt. And Sidibie's high school highlights, (yeah, vs. high school teams), show hands, moves and shots I've never seen from Chukwu:

NBPA Top 100 Camp: Three-Star Power Forward Bourama Sidibe Highlights

I agree he's been a big disappointment this year but there's no doubt he's more talented player.

JB's been acknowledging Frank's problems all season. Franks' line in the pre-conference season this year:

25.0m 9.2p 2.1r 5.9a 3.0s 0.2b 20.4+ 7.5mfg 0.4mft 2.5to 3.9pf 14.3- = 6.1NP 1.3OE 4.8FG

Last year in the pre-conference season:

36.8m 16.5p 3.9r 6.7a 2.5s 0.3b 29.9+ 8.6mfg 1.3mft 4.4to 2.7pf 17.0- = 12.9NP 6.6OE 6.3FG

That’s not the same as “lost in the woods”.

That’s not the same as “lost in the woods”.

What would "lost in the woods" look like?

I just meant he was trying to find the game he had last year.

the chook had 14 and 10 against morehead .

Both players played 28 minutes in those games. Chukwu had 14p 10r 0a 6b 1s 1mfg 2mft 2to 4 pf = 22NP
Sidibie has 18p 16r 0a 0s 3b 2mfg 3mft 2to 4 pf = 26NP. So Bourama's stats are a little better. I know Pitt is way down but I still think they are better than Morehead State, (Pitt was 0-18 in the ACC, 8-24 overall. Morehead was 4-14 in the Ohio Valley and 8-21 overall. This year Pitt is 10-1, (0-1), Morehead is 4-11 (0-2).

The point is, Sidibe has more talent than Chukwu but isn't playing better.

well then there's your thursday question.

I already have a couple but won't finalize it until I see what happens Wednesday night.,

I already have a couple but won't finalize it until I see what happens Wednesday night.,

That’s two days from now, in case you forgot what day of the week it is again ;)

Last edited:
Our centers would be fortunate to hit over 49% of their dunk attempts

Frank played a good floor game in the second half. But there are 2 halves to a basketball game. He looked absolutely lost in the first half. We can't continue to have Frank start playing ball in the second half. We continually are digging ourselves out of a hole. I've gotten to the point that when Frank makes a good play I'm jumping for joy. Believe me Frank made me jump in the first half, but it wasn't for joy.

To be a really good team, against better ACC opponents, we need Frank playing as he was last season. Maybe he will. But we have 3 other scorers this season, and Frank's job is to get the ball to them. If he leads the team in assists, has only 2 turnovers, plays good defense (as SU did in that second half), while the other 3 lead in scoring, we can tolerate Frank having a mediocre half.
How many times have Brissett, Battle and Hughes played well in one half, and not the other?

Frank played a good floor game in the second half. But there are 2 halves to a basketball game. He looked absolutely lost in the first half. We can't continue to have Frank start playing ball in the second half. We continually are digging ourselves out of a hole. I've gotten to the point that when Frank makes a good play I'm jumping for joy. Believe me Frank made me jump in the first half, but it wasn't for joy.

He played bad for the first 5 minutes.

heard it said again last night. if players aren't playing well it's a reflection on the coaches.

heard it said again last night. if players aren't playing well it's a reflection on the coaches.
The play of Chukwu is my big concern when it comes to coaching, he is still making the same mistakes from his first year and strength is no better. Sometimes I actually think he has regressed. As I have said before he is what he is.
I still have some hope that Sidibe will get back to full strength, if he does he can be a factor.
Right now we are a team that resembles a donut with the whole in the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom