The Downside- Oakland | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Oakland

SWC75

Bored Historian
- You want two things from a game. You want to win and you want to come away with the impression that a lot more wins are to follow. We achieved the first goal but not the second. For most of the night, it looked like a battle of two mediocre, (or worse teams). We won’t face anyone on Oakland’s level in the new year and we struggled to pull away from them all night.

- Something is wrong when the team that’s supposed to be national power shoots 33 of their 57 field goal attempts from the three point line, (58%) and the mid-major shoots only 17 of their 42 attempts from there, (40%).

- But that’s because Oakland has 6-7 261 Xavier Hill-Mais (16 points on 6 for 9 from the field and 4 for 4 from the foul line) and 6-11 240 Brad Brechting (20p, 6/7, 8/8). They can recruit guys like that but we can’t?

- Brent Axe said this afternoon that these next three games are a chance to give Quincy Guerrier, Brycen Goodine and Jesse Edwards a chance to show what they can do and get some game experience. Because we’ll need them in the conference season. Goodine for the second straight game didn’t play at all. Edwards managed 7 minutes. He got 3 points and 2 rebounds. Guerrier played for 12 minutes. He had 2 points and 2 rebounds, although he did mange 3 assists, including a dandy pass between two defenders to Dolezaj for a lay-up. He also threw a cross body block at a three point shooter well after the ball had bene released and sacked Haill-Mais in a rebound battle, bloodying his nose with an elbow, (I was surprised he wasn’t ejected.) The big problem as that the failure of their teammates to blow out the Golden Grizzlies so these guys could play a big chunk of the game.

- We again lost the battle of the boards 29-34.

- You want two things from a game. You want to win and you want to come away with the impression that a lot more wins are to follow. We achieved the first goal but not the second. For most of the night, it looked like a battle of two mediocre, (or worse teams). We won’t face anyone on Oakland’s level in the new year and we struggled to pull away from them all night.

- Something is wrong when the team that’s supposed to be national power shoots 33 of their 57 field goal attempts from the three point line, (58%) and the mid-major shoots only 17 of their 42 attempts from there, (40%).

- But that’s because Oakland has 6-7 261 Xavier Hill-Mais (16 points on 6 for 9 from the field and 4 for 4 from the foul line) and 6-11 240 Brad Brechting (20p, 6/7, 8/8). They can recruit guys like that but we can’t?

- Brent Axe said this afternoon that these next three games are a chance to give Quincy Guerrier, Brycen Goodine and Jesse Edwards a chance to show what they can do and get some game experience. Because we’ll need them in the conference season. Goodine for the second straight game didn’t play at all. Edwards managed 7 minutes. He got 3 points and 2 rebounds. Guerrier played for 12 minutes. He had 2 points and 2 rebounds, although he did mange 3 assists, including a dandy pass between two defenders to Dolezaj for a lay-up. He also threw a cross body block at a three point shooter well after the ball had bene released and sacked Haill-Mais in a rebound battle, bloodying his nose with an elbow, (I was surprised he wasn’t ejected.) The big problem as that the failure of their teammates to blow out the Golden Grizzlies so these guys could play a big chunk of the game.

Goodine can sit and rot - we are getting killed on the boards, who we gonna sit, JGIII? He's too small to help out on the boards but he's a shooter, ball-handler, and we need those things! Buddy? He's 6'6" - we need him out there to grab some monster rebounds!

There is no downside to Oakland!

Goodine can sit and rot - we are getting killed on the boards, who we gonna sit, JGIII? He's too small to help out on the boards but he's a shooter, ball-handler, and we need those things! Buddy? He's 6'6" - we need him out there to grab some monster rebounds!

as pointed out in another thread 6'6' buddy had zero rebounds . rebounding and size are only marginally correlated.

I may be in the minority, but I think Goodine should be out there logging as many minutes as possible instead of Washington and Boeheim for 30 plus minutes. He makes some mistakes but he’s only going to get better by playing and getting experience. Very frustrating but this is an old oft-repeated scenario. The list of young promising recruits turned into low confidence head cases is long. Can’t wait for the JB retirement to hopefully see this aspect change. Probably my biggest issue with his coaching style.

Elbow? I thought the replay clearly showed that guy hitting his face on QG's chest. Don't think it even got reviewed.

Elbow? I thought the replay clearly showed that guy hitting his face on QG's chest. Don't think it even got reviewed.
No elbow came within a foot of his nose. He caused the impact himself by plowing his face into the very center of Quincy's chest.

No elbow came within a foot of his nose. He caused the impact himself by plowing his face into the very center of Quincy's chest.

I just saw it in real time so I'll bow to your observations of the replay.

I agree. Nothing dirty about the play. Surprised he was even called for a foul, actually. They were both going for a loose ball and the Oakland guy's head banged into Guerrier's torso.

My downside was that they did not seem to put an effort to get MD into the offense. At Georgetown, they got him the ball and let him use his quickness and smarts. I think he had 12 pts at halftime as a result. I also think that helped open things up for Buddy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom