The downside of preseason tournaments | Syracusefan.com

The downside of preseason tournaments

NYCSUGrad

All Conference
Is epitomized by Wichita St's starting at #20 in the polls and losing all three games they played, to end up 2-4 on the season. Iowa just routed them. So glad Syracuse did the opposite.

witchita state is without one of their best players he is supposed to return I think sometime this season.

Last edited:
Come guys and gals, Witchita St has a great program. Far superior to the likes of Rutgers, Penn St, BC, Wake Forest, Miami and on and on. Koch Arena rocks with 11k every night. They also win.

I'm not going to say I feel any pity for WSU and their smug coach who did everything possible to diminish Syracuse during the time we were both undefeated. How is them being overrated and losing 3 games in a row any worse than us being underrated and winning 3 games in row? That is not a downside of these tournaments.

Let's take Wichita St totally out of the equation, and just deal with a mid major that is a bubble level team entering the season.

The risk of a tournament is if you have an injury or two, and you get no break -- its 3 games with no rest, which for a mid major with tournament aspirations can really impact their season. Timing is just really important for them.

p5 schools have a better chance to recover. with home games coming up against many tourney level teams.

Come guys and gals, Witchita St has a great program. Far superior to the likes of Rutgers, Penn St, BC, Wake Forest, Miami and on and on. Koch Arena rocks with 11k every night. They also win.

It's an extremely good program that gets too much hatred here in my view (except for the coach who is dickish smug... very successful however)

They are not a team that is aiming for #1 seeds, they are trying to maximize what they can do in their conference... which is continously being in contention for at large, and having very good teams in certain years.

How dare they go undefeated... how dare they compete for a #1 seed the same season we were competing for it. The scheduling demands that our fans make of them is somewhat ironic given our OOC history.

Wichita tries to protect themselves if they are on the bubble vs other mediocore P5 schools that have the massive advantage of home games in conference against top 50 schools. I think that is fair.

If you think the scheduling philosophy eliminates them from #1 or 2 seed fair enough. But the fact that they are not going to P5 school all OOC is not something dastardly as some have made it out to be.

Last edited:
Preseason tournaments can certainly re-engineer expectations good or bad for some teams vs preseason rankings.It's working just the opposite of Wichita St for SU - whether that is good or bad long-term TBD.

Preseason tournaments can certainly re-engineer expectations good or bad for some teams vs preseason rankings.It's working just the opposite of Wichita St for SU - whether that is good or bad long-term TBD.

Very True.

And preseason tournaments seem to be the one thing that is fair in terms of scheduling, and allows some of the better mid major conference schools to get quality games on equal setting.

And while I raised that they could be dangerous for a mid major with a smaller sample size of quality games, they also offer more opportunity as well, for the same reason of sample size. For the mid's that can get into a good tournament, they offer more danger, yet they also offser much more opportunity.

Very True.

And preseason tournaments seem to be the one thing that is fair in terms of scheduling, and allows some of the better mid major conference schools to get quality games on equal setting.

And while I raised that they could be dangerous for a mid major with a smaller sample size of quality games, they also offer more opportunity as well, for the same reason of sample size. For the mid's that can get into a good tournament, they offer more danger, yet they also offser much more opportunity.

These are exactly the type of tournaments and competition that teams like Wichita St, Dayton, Providence, UConn, Monmouth etc in "lesser" conferences can change the perception some complain about because of the "weaker" conferences they are in.

These are exactly the type of tournaments and competition that teams like Wichita St, Providence, UConn, Monmouth etc in "lesser" conferences can change the perception some complain about because of the "weaker" conferences they are in.
Yup. Who was aware of Monmouth before this weekend? Not I except as a town in NJ.

I'm not going to say I feel any pity for WSU and their smug coach who did everything possible to diminish Syracuse during the time we were both undefeated. How is them being overrated and losing 3 games in a row any worse than us being underrated and winning 3 games in row? That is not a downside of these tournaments.
That arrogant coach's attitude inspired the committee to load up wsu bracket in 2014

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom