The Downside- Oklahoma State | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Oklahoma State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We weren’t playing Bucknell. One of Jimmy Satalin’s first comments was “”This team seems older than we are.” We were playing a veteran team that had spent 3-4 years building themselves up in college weight rooms going up against our skinny big men and freshmen. It was like our players were playing their big brothers.

- As I look at the box score, the status that jumps out at me as the most significant is two point field goal shooting: They were 19 for 29 and we were 11 for 25. A lot of that was fast breaks- besides being out-muscled; we were being out run at the same time. But they also got the ball inside in our half court sets too easily and they were strong enough to finish against our defenders while we weren’t strong enough to do so against theirs.

- Example: Marek Dolezaj, who was 1 for 3 from the field and 5 for 10 from the line. they fouled him repeatedly and he could not make them pay either by scoring despite the foul or by making his free throws. (Why he’s a bad free throw shooter is a mystery: he seems to be good at everything else and can make a jump shot when open. He also had two rebounds in 34 minutes.

- Example #2: Our inside guys, Bourama Sidibie, Jesse Edwards and Quincy Guerrier were 3 for 10 from the field. Their Big Guys, Cameron McGriff and Yor Anei, were 9 for 13

- They out-rebounded us 39-31. We partially negated that with a 17-20 turnover edge but 17 is still too many to beat a team that’s winning the battle of boards.

- The Cowboys came in shooting 30% from three and Chris Harris was 12.5%. Nonetheless they made 9 of 26, (35% and Harris his three really long ones in the last 2:28 of the first half to take the game from 27-32 to 31-43 at the half.

- I think we had as many open shots as they did- maybe more. But we just couldn’t make them Buddy Boeheim was 2 for 11, Joe Girard 3 for 11. Both were 1 for 7 from three. We shot 26% from three as a team, 9 points less than OSU, who wasn’t supposed to be good at this.

- We didn’t lose because of the refs but I’d still like a well-officiated game. These guys called 44 personal fouls One player fouled out and six others had four fouls. We were without Hughes and Dolezaj for the critical stretch at the end of the half because of foul trouble. The worst sequence came from 14:14 to 13:24 of the second half when Isaac Likekele went up for a desperation three at the shot clock buzzer and Elijah Hughes was called for a foul. The replay showed that there was no contacted at all. No part of Elijah’s body – or anyone else’s- got within a foot of Likekele. It was Elijah’s fourth foul- with 14 minutes to go in a game that was slipping away and the look on his face was one of total shock. A foul is supposed to be a lesson the player can learn to avoid getting called for something in the future. If he did nothing, what is the lesson. But don’t worry, Elijah, when you took a three pointer at the end of the sequence, Lindy Waters was called for a foul on you when no part of his body – or anyone else’s- was within a foot of you. So I guess that made it OK, right?

- Being an SU fan isn't all fun and games...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom