The Downside - Pitt 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Pitt 2

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The operation was a success- and that’s what it felt like. Matt Park said that both teams were playing as if they’d been awakened at 2AM to play the game. Why a competitive basketball player who knows the season is on the line with every game because of the game we’ve let get away could come out and play as badly as this team did I will never understand. Watching this team even in the wins is no fun. I watched parts of the North Carolina state win over UNC, the Virginia victory over Duke and Alabama beating Oklahoma and they all played real basketball as I’ve come to know it. Today we would have had no chance against any of those teams.

- Two of our “Big three”, Oshae Brissett and frank Howard, were a combined 6 for 26 from the field. (23%).

- Brissett’s game is to get to the foul line. he was 0 for 0.

- Bourama Sidibie had an amazing game but he made two amazing mistakes down the stretch: fouling a three point shooter while we were trying to protect a single digit lead. The last came when we’d finally pushed the lead to 9 with 30 seconds left. He fouled an 80% shooter who quickly made it was a 6 point game. . OMG and What? Freshmen are freshmen but really…If you are going to do that, you’d better get 18 points and 16 rebounds.

- Paschal Chukwu had 6 rebounds and 3 blocks but his new found offensive game was lost again. He was 0 for 4, mostly on shots he babied when he could have dunked them.

- We are 8 for 33 from the arc in the two games, (24%). I don’t remember many of them that weren’t open. If we’d made a normal percentage, both game would have bene easy victories.

- Really, they were similar games. We just couldn’t pull away and seemed to be begging Pitt to give us a damaging loss. In the first game we got a short burst of quality play midway through the second half that gave us a lead Pitt wasn’t good enough to challenge. In this game it was a good minute or so near the very end. We should have dominated both games, wire to wire.

- This year’s team is the opposite of last year’s team in most respects but they in similar in one way: we seem to be a different team on the road than at home. Most teams are but the difference between the BC game and this was stark. That wake Forest loss sticks out. We played well in the second half vs. Florida State but not in the first half. Even the Kansas game doesn’t look like a very strong performance now. Georgia Tech, Louisville, Duke, Miami and Boston College await.

- We got the win we needed to keep our NCAA dreams alive but if we don’t get our offense going with some consistency, it’s going to remain just a dream.

Ya, that our two stars, Oshae and Frank, could play like that at this point in the season is quite discouraging. We were just so out of sync.

I shall say no more. Except: WE WON!

- Bourama Sidibie had an amazing game but he made two amazing mistakes down the stretch: fouling a three point shooter while we were trying to protect a single digit lead. The last came when we’d finally pushed the lead to 9 with 30 seconds left. He fouled an 80% shooter who quickly made it was a 6 point game. . OMG and What? Freshmen are freshmen but really…If you are going to do that, you’d better get 18 points and 16 rebounds.

Not to pile on, but he also took a rebound that Frank was trying to get when we knew we were going to be fouled. Frank was trying to tell him let me grab it so I can take the free throws. We have a very young team.

To me a negative was JB having Battle foul the Pitt player on purpose with under 10 seconds to go in the half. Yes, SU had a foul to give, but I didn't like the move. IMO, SU has too short a bench to get cute like that. Didn't help much either as Pitt sank that 3. I hope JB ditches that strategy from here out.

JB has only in recent years come around to embracing the idea of fouling late in the half or game but has not yet fully mastered it.
somebody at the golf club apparently gave him the tip and yet he still shanks it off the fairway.

Last edited:
To me a negative was JB having Battle foul the Pitt player on purpose with under 10 seconds to go in the half. Yes, SU had a foul to give, but I didn't like the move. IMO, SU has too short a bench to get cute like that. Didn't help much either as Pitt sank that 3. I hope JB ditches that strategy from here out.
Nothing wrong with that strategy if you do it late enough. But it shouldn't have been Battle committing the foul given his importance to this team, even if he had no personal fouls to that point. As I recall, Pitt hit a well-contested heave at the buzzer that probably had about a 10% chance of going in, so I was okay with the idea of giving the foul.

Nothing wrong with that strategy if you do it late enough. But it shouldn't have been Battle committing the foul given his importance to this team, even if he had no personal fouls to that point. As I recall, Pitt hit a well-contested heave at the buzzer that probably had about a 10% chance of going in, so I was okay with the idea of giving the foul.
There is too much that can go wrong with this strategy for my liking. I can see it being done with the right team and players but, for me, this year is the wrong team and the wrong players. For the team, we're carrying too short of a bench. And for players,Battle is way too important, and most others are too inexperienced. And things can go wrong, remember the HW disaster of a flagrant.

I would like to see JB shelve this strategy for this year.. I wonder if he might reconsider it now from here on out. Tough thing to ask, it would come off like talking about the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom