The Downside - Pittsburgh 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Pittsburgh 2

SWC75

Bored Historian
- In the last 10 ½ minutes of that game, Syracuse scored 10 points, Pittsburgh 12. The two teams missed 17 of 25 field goal attempts. They were 1 for 3 from the line and had 7 turnovers. The look on my face as I watched it was very similar to the guy in the shed with all the chainsaws at the end of this commercial:

- Joe Girard made some big threes in the game but he made 5 horrible turnovers to 1 assist. He’s had a good assist to turnover ratio all season and it’s unfortunate to see him start turning the ball over on unnecessarily difficult plays in recent games, (he had 4 of them against Georgia Tech).I was wishing Jim would sit him for a couple minute down the stretch in favor of Howard Washington, a less talented but steadier player who plays within himself and gets other to do the same. If Pitt had put forth a better effort, they could have come back to win this game. So could our remaining opponents and we can’t afford any more losses, at least not to inferior teams.

- Buddy Boeheim’s turned ankle, a temporary problem, obscures a longer and bigger problem: He’s not the same player he was earlier in the season. This was the second game in the last four that he’s been shut out. In those four games, he’s 11 for 33 from the field, including 4 of 20 three pointers. He’s scored 28 points in 118 minutes of play. He’s having trouble getting his shots off and making them when he does. He’s not driving to the basket as he was. Teams are trying to take him out of the game but they are succeeding too easily.

- Marek Dolezaj had a sub-par game, although he did make a jump shot from the foul line, which I’ve bene looking for all year. But he made only 2 of his 10 other shots and had 5 turnovers. he lost control of the ball in traffic numerous times, even when we got the ball back to avoid the turnover.

- Quincy Guerrier had 7 strong rebounds in traffic. That was impressive. But the rest of his game was inept. The improvements we’ve seen over the last two months just seemed to vanish. He repeatedly charged into defenders. JB said in his press conference that all the defender had to do was stand there and he’d get the call.

Was this game Pittsburgh 2 or Pittsburgh II? The inconsistency is confusing me.

Marek and Joe were both loose with the ball. Joe suddenly is playing like we get extra points for flashy passes with a high degree of difficulty. I loved the back door thought to Q but the pass was ....not good.

The team lost focus down the stretch last night. Delay game. Hughes didn't even try to score. Not at all surprised at the lack of scoring in the last 10 minutes. At that point in time the players were looking forward to a shower and a post-game meal.

What bothers me most about Buddy is sometimes when he hasn't gotten a shot off in quite some time, he forces shots. Usually from beyond the 3-point line. If he's open, take the shot. If not, pass the ball. Joe G does the same thing. Last night he hit 4 3-pointers all while being WIDE open. He and Buddy can make them. Just make them high percentage shots.

- In the last 10 ½ minutes of that game, Syracuse scored 10 points, Pittsburgh 12. The two teams missed 17 of 25 field goal attempts. They were 1 for 3 from the line and had 7 turnovers. The look on my face as I watched it was very similar to the guy in the shed with all the chainsaws at the end of this commercial:

- Joe Girard made some big threes in the game but he made 5 horrible turnovers to 1 assist. He’s had a good assist to turnover ratio all season and it’s unfortunate to see him start turning the ball over on unnecessarily difficult plays in recent games, (he had 4 of them against Georgia Tech).I was wishing Jim would sit him for a couple minute down the stretch in favor of Howard Washington, a less talented but steadier player who plays within himself and gets other to do the same. If Pitt had put forth a better effort, they could have come back to win this game. So could our remaining opponents and we can’t afford any more losses, at least not to inferior teams.

- Buddy Boeheim’s turned ankle, a temporary problem, obscures a longer and bigger problem: He’s not the same player he was earlier in the season. This was the second game in the last four that he’s been shut out. In those four games, he’s 11 for 33 from the field, including 4 of 20 three pointers. He’s scored 28 points in 118 minutes of play. He’s having trouble getting his shots off and making them when he does. He’s not driving to the basket as he was. Teams are trying to take him out of the game but they are succeeding too easily.

- Marek Dolezaj had a sub-par game, although he did make a jump shot from the foul line, which I’ve bene looking for all year. But he made only 2 of his 10 other shots and had 5 turnovers. he lost control of the ball in traffic numerous times, even when we got the ball back to avoid the turnover.

- Quincy Guerrier had 7 strong rebounds in traffic. That was impressive. But the rest of his game was inept. The improvements we’ve seen over the last two months just seemed to vanish. He repeatedly charged into defenders. JB said in his press conference that all the defender had to do was stand there and he’d get the call.
The score said the team played well but it was only for part of the game. The last 9 minutes was horrible and if Pitt had done anything it could have been an atrocious lost.

The score said the team played well but it was only for part of the game. The last 9 minutes was horrible and if Pitt had done anything it could have been an atrocious lost.
The first 10 minutes both teams set the game back years.

The first 10 minutes both teams set the game back years.

The quarterly breaks: 15-11, 22-10, 25-16, 10-12.

It was the creme in the cookie that looked good, not the end boards.

1582908143011.png

What was amazing was that we won an ACC road game by 23 with Buddy Boeheim not scoring and Joe Girard and Marek Dolezaj having 10 turnovers.

If thats is what u think (and I don't totally disagree), then the last 9 minutes must have set it back 20!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom