The Downside: Pittsburgh | Syracusefan.com

The Downside: Pittsburgh

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Virginia Tech, the bottom team in the conference with a 1-10 record came into Pittsburgh and out-rebounded the Panthers 43-28. Pitt had only 6 offensive rebounds in that game. In two games against Syracuse, the undefeated #1 ranked team, Pitt has out-rebounded us 24-35 in each game and had 16 offensive rebounds in each game. Is it all the zone?

- Appropriately, I’m going to make the same point again because Pitt survives on second chance points. If we could break even on the boards against thus team, we’d blow them out. The O-rebs and endless possessions are the only reason they can hang with us. But we let them do it and have to win it on a 40 footer. That’s exciting but this win didn’t have to be exciting.

- We try to make up for the rebounding with steals. Tyler Ennis and Trevor Cooney came in tied for first in the ACC in steals with 51 each in 23 games, a combined average of 4.4 per game. We didn’t have steal in this one until 9:58 was left in the game and Pitt wound up with twice as many as we had, 2-4.

- Jerami Grant got off only 6 shots in 35 minutes and wound up with 6 points and 5 rebounds, not enough from your power forward slot.

- Taliq Zanna, a 61 free throw shooter, hit 8 of 9 form the line and scored 9 of Pitt’s last 11 points, including two free throws when Pitt got the ball to him in the lane way too easily on their last possession and Rakeem Christmas hacked him. That might have lost us the game. Zanna averages 12.5 points and 7.6 rebounds. He got 16 and 11 tonight.

- It’s generally pointless to complain about officiating, especially after a great win. But Matt Park on the radio reported that the officials twice come up to Jim Boeheim- once at the beginning of the second half concerning the late call on Jerami Grant at the end of the first that allowed Pitt to extend their lead to three points at the half and once in the second half after the flop foul called against Trevor Cooney. That’s amazing enough. But on Ennis’ winning shot, (which, per the replay left his fingers at 0:07 and went through the hoop at 0:04), they conducted a review of the shot that went on for a couple of minutes, then made what park called “an unclear sign” that matt at first interpreted as the shot being waved off. Only when they made clear what everybody else knew: that it counted, could our celebration really begin. I think the league needs to take a good look at the refs conduct of this game. Not that they will.

Officiating was terrible today. I texted my buddy right after the Cooney call that I knew we weren't playing great, but the officials were doing everything in their power to give the game to Pitt. Man it was sickening.

on the rebounding question there was a rebound in the first half that I saw a Pitt player shove Grant in the back clear as day w/0 rewinding or slo/mo. I'm sure Pitt does that dozens of times throughout the the game on the boards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom