The Downside - South Carolina State | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - South Carolina State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We gave up a weird-looking trey to start the game, scored 15 points in a row to take a 15-3 lead and then didn’t score for nearly 4 minutes. The score was 18-12 with 8:26 left in the half and 25-14 with when John Gillon hit a trey with 6 minutes left to get us going. We scored 21 points in those 16 minutes and 55 in the second half to hit the century mark. That’s 25 points in 14 minutes, ((1.79 per minutes), then 76 points in 26 minutes (2.92).

- Our press produced only 10 turnovers and was abandoned in the second half. JB admitted that it’s hard to press a smaller team. I am encouraged that he still plans to make it a serious part of our repertoire this year.

- Paschal Chukwu has a lot to learn. His reaction to those 1 on 2s at the back end of the press was mostly to foul someone rather than hold his ground. On offense, he’s got to learn what DaJuan Coleman has finally learned: when you have the ball you are as tall as it is. And when he decides to put on a dribbling exhibition, he’s 3 feet tall.

- While Tyler Roberson was 5 for 5 from the line, something that’s unlikely to continue, hit teammates were 9 for 16, (56%).

- Now it gets real. Our next two opponents are two power conference teams: South Carolina who went 25-9 last year and Wisconsin who was 22-13 after a bad start and made it to the Sweet 16. The Badger out-rebounded us last year 25-51. If there’s one possible weakness on our team is that we are still rather skinny in the middle when Coleman isn’t in there and we haven’t played a good rebounding team yet. We will now.

I thought our transition defense was poor and would put that on the downside as well. That said, SC State was a pretty lightning quick team and that was good for us to get some practice against.

It is nice when you can expose some weaknesses and get some good film for improvement while also winning by 40+!

Great post SWC, as usual. I too am encouraged to see JB using the press again. Do you think he will take a game off(or mostly) from the press against the mighty Badgers?

Also a great post by HoustonCuse. It's wonderful to be able to sacrifice some scoring margin while working on your weaknesses and still win by 40! Im guessing they even covered the vegas line? lol

The Badgers are still mighty when it comes to offensive rebounds, which Gtown noticed last night. Hopefully, our guys are UP for the competition and eager to prove themselves.

I think our Chukwu dropped at least two passes that he could have plunked into the basket from his great height but the hands are not yet good.

The Badgers are still mighty when it comes to offensive rebounds, which Gtown noticed last night. Hopefully, our guys are UP for the competition and eager to prove themselves.

I think our Chukwu dropped at least two passes that he could have plunked into the basket from his great height but the hands are not yet good.
Time for Roberson to go after every rebound as if he owns it - like he did in the NCAA tourney run.

downsides for me would be a lot of missed bunnies underneath and giving up way too many second chances to a much smaller squad.
the press was ineffective although gillen showed some quick strip ability mid court. more ball pressure please from our guards.

downsides for me would be a lot of missed bunnies underneath and giving up way too many second chances to a much smaller squad.
the press was ineffective although gillen showed some quick strip ability mid court. more ball pressure please from our guards.

SCS got 4 second chance points. That's one basket per half. They got 14 offensive rebounds because they missed 51 shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom