The Downside - UNC II | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - UNC II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The best team won and it wasn’t us. I’m looking forward to next year when we aren’t overmatched against the top teams in the conference. At best we were a middle weight fighting a heavyweight.

- When you are playing a superior team, you need to get maximum contributions from all your players. Against Wake Forest, everybody had a good game but Oshae Brissett. Tonight, he’s the only one who had a good game. Our stellar backcourt was 8 for 39 from the field and 3 of 15 from the arc. Frank Howard had perhaps his worst game ever with 7 turnovers, almost all of them we4ak passes that were picked off and led to Tar Heel fast breaks.

- Fast break points were 0-14. UNC would run down the court and beat us before we could get set up and Frank would laboriously dribble the ball up, allowing UNC to set up their defense. What was really galling was that they would run off an SU score and negate it at the other end and we would show little interest in answering them.

- Marek Dolezaj, after scoring 20 points on wake Forest, hardly saw the ball in this game and scored only 6. And our centers, who scored 14 vs. Wake, (all Chukwu), also got 6 in this game. When Dolezaj scores, our centers score. When he doesn’t, they don’t see the ball enough.

- Our shot distribution in the Wake game was 8-9-11-7-7 from point guard to center and we scored 73 points. In this game it was 18- 21-14-5-4 and we scored 59 points.

- Both our centers fouled out and of the 10 fouls called on them no more than 3-4 were legitimate. Chukwu got called for a foul where he blocked a shot and grazed the shooter’s hand after he’d already blocked it away. He also got called for a play where the shooter clearly jumped into him and one where he was holding his hands straight up and the shooter jumped into them. it wasn’t the only reason we lost but it severely handicapped us on both ends.

- At halftime we’d attempted two free throws to UNC’s 11. The pattern continued until our late run. At that point, Jimmy Satalin said “These are the same plays we saw in the first half but now they are calling the fouls”. Even after things evened out, we attempted 40 two point shots and got fouled 16 times while they attempted 32 and got fouled 18 times.

- Oshae Brissett had a play where he drove into the lane, got fouled and got his shot off as he was coming down yet they declared the foul to be before the shot and it was just a side out instead of an ‘and one’.

- 20-13 (9-11) sounds like an NIT team to me.

I think if JB can discover a better point guard in his new recruits, he will utilize him. Do you agree? I guess it remains to be seen. Frank is a good player but point guard is not his medium. He certainly can do some great passes, but we need more from the point guard position.

Ah, alas and alack, this is a hard time of year for fans of a team that’s not going to the tourney. Today will be a mopey day for me.

I think if JB can discover a better point guard in his new recruits, he will utilize him. Do you agree? I guess it remains to be seen. Frank is a good player but point guard is not his medium. He certainly can do some great passes, but we need more from the point guard position.

Ah, alas and alack, this is a hard time of year for fans of a team that’s not going to the tourney. Today will be a mopey day for me.

“Coach, it’s been observed that many of our point guards in recent years are really ‘2’ guards, shooting guards we try to covert to point guards. Is that how you would describe Frank Howard? Why don’t we go for more pure point guards, like Alan Griffin?”

"Jim jumped on the premise with the same line he’d used in the press conference, which I guess will now be his routine response when he doesn’t like a question or it’s premise. “Steve….Steve…. I’m surprised at you. Why are you asking a question when you already know the answer? Johnny Flynn...Brandon Triche….Tyler Ennis…. They were all point guards. So was Kaleb Joseph, although he wasn’t good enough. We did convert Mike Gbinijie. Frank Howard was a passer first in high school. People say he was a 2 guard but he was a point guard. Jaylen Carey can play off the ball but he’s a point guard. I can’t mention his name but the guy we have for 2019 is a point guard.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom