The Downside- UNC | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- UNC

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Another valiant effort. Another loss. A team’s record is based on how close they got. This isn’t horseshoes.

- I listened to a radio interview this morning with Eric Montross, the Tar Heel’s color man on their broadcasts. His chief concern was that UNC didn’t have the outside shooting to hurt the zone. “We’ll have to find ways to penetrate it and score.” So they go 9 of 16 from three point range. Nate Britt, who had been 13 for 40 on the year. He was 4 for 5 in this game. Marcus Paige was 48 for 126 and went 4 for 7.

- We got pounded on the boards 27-42, much of it down the stretch of the game. Basically the unusually accurate three point shooting kept them in the game and pounding under the boards allowed them to pull ahead down the stretch.

- Christmas, Cooney and Gbinije, the “Big Three, scored 66 points between them and Tyler Roberson, who is making this a “Big Four” got 13 more. Kaleb Joseph, Ron Patterson and BJ Johnson, in 47 minutes, scored 4 points on 1 for 7 shooting. That was it, and it wasn’t enough.

- Their box score has 9 names on it, our 7. We had two guys play 40 minutes, (Christmas and Cooney), another (Gbinije who played 38 and then there was Roberson, who played 35 before he fouled out. Their top guys played 35, 32, 30, 29, 29 and 26 minutes. We aren’t making the plays down the stretch to win these games and I think running out of gas is a big part of that. It’s not going to change.

- Now we wait for the other shoe to drop.

" We got pounded on the boards 27-42, much of it down the stretch of the game. "

i'd say roberson's legs definitely went away in the second half. he was missing boards he normally collects. i had commented a few games back on how well conditioned tyler seemed to be. last night he was utterly drenched and tired.

Last edited:
" We got pounded on the boards 27-42, much of it down the stretch of the game. "

i'd say robertson's legs definitely went away in the second half. he was missing boards he normally collects. i had commented a few games back on how well conditioned tyler seemed to be. last night he was utterly drenched and tired.
Next season hopefully Roberson, Cooney and Gbinije will feel they've gone to the spa when they play "only" 32 minutes!

Coincidental, given the beating Roy Williams takes from Syracusefan posters on this subject, but I don't think Boeheim used timeouts well in the second half.

We had them, should've used them, especially close to the under-8:00, when Roberson was looking especially gassed, we were getting killed on the boards, and Battier mentioned our tired players and the pace of play. That was a good opportunity to get the guys a double-timeout and a decent rest.

Then again, we're told that college kids don't get tired.

IMO, allowing 58 points in the 2nd half was the primary reason we lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom