The Downside - Virginia I | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Virginia I

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The real question is: How was this game that close? We shot 23% for the field and 17% from the three point line and got out-rebounded 28-47. The answers are that Virginia lacks the offensive punch they had last year, shooting 17% form three themselves they turned the ball over 16 times and they take their time on offense, content to let the clock run.

- Both teams were young with a lot of new players but somehow Tony Bennett’s new players were in mid-season form with their man-for-man defense. They contested every shot and even every dribble, frequently double-teaming the guy with the ball. Our offense looked like an insect being swarmed over by army ants.

- A big deficit was that we had not inside game to speak of. Virginia had Jay Huff and Mamadi Diakite, who together scored 22 points on 11 of 17 shooting. Bourama Sidibie, Jesse Edwards and Quincy Guerrier totaled 4 points on 2 for 7 shooting. Guerrier still thinks of himself as an outside shooter. He was 0 for 3 on treys, 0 for 1 inside the arc. JB is clearly not pleased with Quincy’s shot selection and he rode the bench in the second half. He’s exactly the kind of player we need mixing it up inside against a physical team like the Cavs but he seemed to have no interest in it.

- We also had very few offensive rebounds because we had very few attempts to get offensive rebounds. Typically, four guys would drift down court with the shot – this against a team that never fast breaks- and either Sidibie or Dolezaj would be muscled out of the way.

- Jalen Carey got some penetration but them the defense closed on him and he made only 1 of 6 shots and had just 1 assist. Brycen Goodine made little impression and Howard Washington didn’t play at all.

- It’s been a tough week.

We haven't been able to rebound for years... I mentioned (to my brother, not online) during the game that the zone has ups and downs... sure we play good defense but we end up giving teams multiple chances to score because we cant rebound. Now that lack of rebounding causes extra possessions for the opponent and less for us... which leads to us scoring even less. Unless we haven't had teams that can rebound in the last bunch of years (which would be on recruiting), I dont think this is a good way to go about it. UVA couldnt shoot and we lost by 14... and scored 34. That's unacceptable

We haven't been able to rebound for years... I mentioned (to my brother, not online) during the game that the zone has ups and downs... sure we play good defense but we end up giving teams multiple chances to score because we cant rebound. Now that lack of rebounding causes extra possessions for the opponent and less for us... which leads to us scoring even less. Unless we haven't had teams that can rebound in the last bunch of years (which would be on recruiting), I dont think this is a good way to go about it. UVA couldnt shoot and we lost by 14... and scored 34. That's unacceptable

I know it's harder to box out in a zone but we weren't even trying- four guys were backpedaling or turning around and running back down court with the shot - against a team that doesn't fast break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom