The Downside- Virginia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Virginia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
- My copy of Homer Smith’s book “The Complete Handbook of Clock Management” arrived in a timely fashion at halftime. I’ve been looking through it to try to figure out the kerfuffle at the end of the half that almost cost us the game. So far I’ve come up empty. To review: Shrader ran 22 yards to the Tech 1 where he was tackled short of the end zone with 8 seconds left. We still had a time out but had to use it to avoid a delay of the game when Courtney Jackson wasn’t sure if he were supposed to be on the field or not. Then Shrader tried to wedge it in but came up short. Except, Tech coach Justin Fuente had called a time out just before the play, negating it and giving us another chance. Shrader’s pass was incomplete but at least we got to attempt a field goal – which Andre Szmyt bounced off the right upright. If that went through, we’d have bene up 37-36 when we got the ball at the end of the game. If we’d pushed in a touchdown, we’d have been up, well 41-36 without Shrader to Alford.

- Then there was the extra point attempt with 1:54 left in the first half that was blocked and returned for 2 points, the refs ignoring that Fuente and about 20 other people from the Tech sideline were on the field before the returner got to where they were. Even though they got off, that’s a penalty that should have negated the return. But it was never called. Good Ol’ ACC.

- Tech came in with the 92nd best rushing offense in the country, rushing for 130 yards a game. We had the 28th best rushing defense with 114 yards per game. Malachi Thomas had rushed for 48 yards on 11 carries for 0 scores. So, in this game, Thomas rushes for 151 yards on 21 carries and scores 3 times. Tech rushed for 260 yard totally. Against Pittsburgh, (our final regular opponent- on the road), the Hokies gained 224 total yards and scored 7 points. Against our defense, which had been quite good most of the season, they gained 437 yards and scored 36 points.

- We really need to be more creative in getting Sean Tucker the ball in space. The last two games he’s tended to get off to great starts but become less of a factor as the game wore on.

- Where are you Andre Szymt? He’s now 7/12 on field goals and 24 for 26 on extra points. When he won the Groza, he was 30/34 and 61/61.

I hope Vet and Pena are OK. GS took a massive hit at the end too and appeared OK but adrenaline can hide some things initially. We need these guys down the stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom