The Downside vs. Bryant | Syracusefan.com

The Downside vs. Bryant

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Matt Park said that the team was playing defense as if walking through water, (not on it). Bryant hit 13 three pointers and most of the 24 they missed were open. They shot 52% inside the arc.

- Joe Girard had a career-bad game, (I hope), going 2 for 14 from the field with 4 assists but 3 turnovers and 3 fouls. He made a great pass and a big three in the late going, which reminded me of a couple GMAC games were the only shot he hit was the winner. I like the fact that Joe doesn’t need to be playing well to make a big shot or pass. Jim Satalin speculated that Boeheim kept him in there even though he was having a bad game rather than give Richmond more time because Joe didn’t look confident out there. I think Joe rolls out of bed confident.

- Bourama Sidibe went down early and was replaced basically by Dolezaj. Fran Anselem and Jesse Edwards played a total of 5 minutes and their only stat was one foul. John Bol-Ajak, who can’t reshirt a second time, never got off the bench. All the talk of the depth we now have at center seems premature. Players have to prove themselves in practice and then in games to be part of our depth. Satalin said that “it looks like last year when our thin big men were getting dominated by a muscular big man”. Ugh.

- Robert Braswell played 3 minutes and was 0 for 3, all three pointers. Woody Newton didn’t see any action. There appears to be a huge gap between these guys and the G-men.

- Matt Park said that the team was playing defense as if walking through water, (not on it). Bryant hit 13 three pointers and most of the 24 they missed were open. They shot 52% inside the arc.

- Joe Girard had a career-bad game, (I hope), going 2 for 14 from the field with 4 assists but 3 turnovers and 3 fouls. He made a great pass and a big three in the late going, which reminded me of a couple GMAC games were the only shot he hit was the winner. I like the fact that Joe doesn’t need to be playing well to make a big shot or pass. Jim Satalin speculated that Boeheim kept him in there even though he was having a bad game rather than give Richmond more time because Joe didn’t look confident out there. I think Joe rolls out of bed confident.

- Bourama Sidibe went down early and was replaced basically by Dolezaj. Fran Anselem and Jesse Edwards played a total of 5 minutes and their only stat was one foul. John Bol-Ajak, who can’t reshirt a second time, never got off the bench. All the talk of the depth we now have at center seems premature. Players have to prove themselves in practice and then in games to be part of our depth. Satalin said that “it looks like last year when our thin big men were getting dominated by a muscular big man”. Ugh.

- Robert Braswell played 3 minutes and was 0 for 3, all three pointers. Woody Newton didn’t see any action. There appears to be a huge gap between these guys and the G-men.

Pretty much agree with most of this, but Ajak can redshirt another year. It may not be called that technically, but it's a free year for everyone.

Pretty much agree with most of this, but Ajak can redshirt another year. It may not be called that technically, but it's a free year for everyone.

Yes, he'll retain eligibility like anybody else, you're right. My point was that they aren't trying to redshirt him this year so the fact that he didn't play shows what his coach thinks of his abilities at this time.

These are my favorite posts on the entire board.

I didn't watch much so I don't have much to add, but I will say something about JB's philosophy. He once said he coaches every game to win that game. He doesn't worry about game experience for bench players, or developing talent --that's what practice is for. In a game that he is losing, he's not going to go deep on the bench. Since SU was behind in the game, no subs.

I hope he noticed Kardary's offensive efficiency: 2 shots, 5 points. He was probably paying more attention to his defense.

Yours could have been a much longer post, and would have been had one of Bryant's last shots fallen.

I still think our depth at Center could prove valuable if Bourama, Q, Dole and maybe one other foul out in the same game.

Upside: Defense seemed to already be in mid-season form.
Downside: Mid-season form the past couple years grades out as an F.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom